Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Booze Cake For My Doctor!

Last week, I asked you all to guess how big the Mister would be at my appointment this week and I intended to come home and blog about it, but my doctor put me back in the hospital. I didn't even have the option to come home, I went straight there from my appointment. She was concerned about my protein levels because they spiked, but after 24 hours of urine collection and observation in the hospital, everything turned out fine and I was able to come home again.

This past time was very different though because it's been 3 weeks since I was last there and baby Boy H has grown plenty! I'm no longer concerned with him being so tiny. According to his measurements on Tuesday, he weighs approximately 5 pounds, 11 ounces! Holy moly! I was not expecting him to gain that much weight, but he's packing on the weight. Maybe he could sense my worry so he thought he'd eat more to please me??? ha ha! Either way, he is good to go in that department. Out of 45 comments, not one person guessed his weight correctly. But the one person who was the closest without going over was Bonnie who writes From A Writer's Kitchen. Her guess was 5lbs. 9oz. Bonnie, I'm not sure what your prize is yet, but please email me your address and I'll send something over to you! Congrats!

My doctor scheduled my c-section for September 1st. Can you believe it?! The little man (who doesn't have a definitive name yet) will be here in 2 weeks or less! Ahhh! I'm not quite prepared for that, but I'm not sure I'll never be. I can't wait to see his face and smell his feet. LOVE. Because my doctor and staff have been so wonderful, thorough and caring I wanted to make them a cake to say 'thank you'. And who doesn't like a little booze at lunchtime? I decided to make them a chocolate Kahlua cake, that I experimented with back in December. I remember it being really good and moist, though I didn't get a slice of it this go round. I didn't think it would be very polite to deliver a cake with a slice cut out of it. :-) From what I could tell, they really enjoyed it though.

Chocolate Kahlua Cake from Monica H

Printer Friendly Version

  • 1 box chocolate cake mix
  • 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
  • 2 tsp. instant espresso powder
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup vegetable/canola oil
  • 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee or water
  • 1/2 cup Kahlua
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a Bundt pan and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, place cake mix, pudding mix and instant espresso powder and mix together with a whisk.

In a large measuring cup, mix the remaining wet ingredients together and blend til well mixed.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until well combined with an electric hand mixer or a large whisk. Mix until well combined and lump free.

Pour cake mix into prepared Bundt pan and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Once completely cooled, top with glaze (recipe below).

Kahlua Glaze

  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
  • 1 Tbsp. Kahlua
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients til smooth and pourable. If too thick and a few drops of water. If too thin, add more powdered sugar until the desired consistency is reached.

Pour or spoon glaze over the entire cake. Garnish with mini chocolate chips if desired. Allow glaze to set before slicing into cake.

My mom and little brother brought me a basket of Begonias when I was in the hospital the first time. They're such a pretty color and so delicate, don't you think?

36 comments:

Julie said...

Wow, that makes me wish I worked in your doctor's office and he/she would share. Can't wait to see and hear about your new addition! It's so close now :) The flowers and just gorgeous.

Katie said...

Wow baby H is certainly growing fast. I'm so pleased and excited for you!
The cake looks gorgeous, I'm sure the doctors were delighted.

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm picturing you mixing this cake while you are in bed and Mr. H running it to the oven hahaha. I'm thrilled with your baby news. I can't wait to see pictures of your new family. I am SO happy for you.

Amy K said...

Great news on your little guy. Not much longer now...

The cake looks wonderful.

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness the baby boy is getting big and bigger, congrats. It won't be long and to be born to such a wonderful momma and daddy, wow whee, so happy for you, keep up the great news, sept 1st will be here so quick and you will be the absolute best momma there ever is, congrats again, and take it easy too!XXXX()()()()()()

Debbie said...

A great cake Monica and wonderful news! I can't wait to see pics of the little guy. I'm so happy things are going well for you!

Donna-FFW said...

SOOOO Happy to hear all is going well. You must be soo excited Monica.

The cake sounds incredible and your Doctor is very lucky;)

XXXOOO

Ruth Hiebert said...

September 1! This is exciting.I am so looking forward to all those pictures you will be posting,if you have the time.In the mean time take good care of yourself,get all the rest you need,so that you are ready for the BIG day.

Unknown said...

What a WONDERFUL cake and thoughtful gift for your doctor and her staff. Good luck on your delivery -- September is a fabulous month for a birthday :)

Blessings!
Gail

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Wow, only 2 weeks??? I'm so excited for you guys! : ))))))))))))))))

I can't think of a yummier cake than one doused with Kahlua. Delish!

:)
ButterYum

Misc Momma said...

Oh my goodness! This cake looks so good. But I fear I'd eat it all myself.

Two weeks! I can't wait!

Cassie said...

I'm so glad everything is looking good with you and the little guy!! September 1 is NOT THAT FAR AWAY!!! September 1 sounds like a good day to have a baby to me! :)

The cake looks delicious! And I think you totally could have gotten away with stealing a slice -- you're pregnant, after all. Eating cake is expected of you! :)

I've been keeping you all in my thoughgs and prayers.

Victoria said...

I'm so thrilled for you! I hope the two weeks go by quickly for you. At least this is one two week wait with a guaranteed happy ending! sorry, tacky ttc pun :)

you're in my prayers!

Heather S-G said...

Oh my gosh, these next two weeks are gonna FLY!!! So exciting =) This cake...yum...want it.

Kelli Herrington said...

Im a new follower and I cant even begin to tell you how thankful I am that I found your blog. Im in heaven with all your recipes.
September 3rd is the husbands birthday and Im making him Chocolate Sour cream bunt cake. I know he is going to love it but now Im confused because the booze cake looks amazing too.
Congrats on the baby I know you are excited and scared you dont have long girl.

From the Kitchen said...

I was so excited to get over to your other blog and comment on the little one that I completely ignored your cake. Oh yes, think a slice or two at lunchtime will put everyone in a good mood.

Best,
Bonnie

Carey's Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Congrats to you on your little boy, may everything go well for you.

Rhonda said...

I am so happy for you. I have been checking back for a new post and a little worried about you. Glad to see everyone is fine and growing!

beauty be told said...

my daughter was born @ 36 weeks and was 5 lbs 11 oz! good luck!

Kate H.(www.sprinkletherapy.blogspot.com) said...

I'm so so so happy for you! I'm so glad your baby boy is doing good!

Nonna said...

Yay...such wonderful news that you and baby are doing well. Monica, take good care and don't worry, everything will be fine !

Congrats to Bonnie...enjoy your prize, whatever it is.

the wild magnolia said...

So glad you were well enough to come home.

Looks like a great cake recipe. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Wow, your little mystery man really did grow! And congrats on the due date? I don't know how to go about that, haha. One of my sister's friends has that birthday, and not to mention it is the day when students return to Hogwarts (random). Your little boy is very special indeed ;) And if I haven't mentioned it before, I'm so happy for you and your husband :)

Manderley de GuindillayCanela said...

I don't know what is kahlua but the cake is delicius!

xo

Unknown said...

What a happy post - I'm so pleased your little man has grown so much.

Foodiewife said...

I'm so glad that Baby H is growing strong for Mama. You'll be ready!
September 1st, huh? I'll circle that on my calendar. You sound great, Monica. As always, you know how to bake moist cakes. Anything with sour cream and booze has my name on it!

Amy said...

Just wanted to drop you a note so that you could see the latest post on my blog and know just how much of an inspiration you are! :D

Amy Lee said...

That cake looks SO good. I love Kahlua.

Can I ask why you have to have a c-section? I had 3, so I was just wondering.

Also, don't believe what they tell you as far as his weight. It can be off 1-2 pounds in either direction. When I was 2 days past my due date with my 1st, they did an ultrasound to check on him and told me he was 7 1/2-8 pounds. 5 days later he was born by emergency c-section and weighed 10 pounds 9 ounces! There's no way he gained 2-3 pounds in 5 days. I just wanted to let you know that so you're not surprised when he's born, like I was..lol

Good luck and Sept. 1st is a great day. It's my daddy's birthday :)

oneordinaryday said...

Only you could get away with writing a post that contain the words "urine collection" and "cake." :)

What a delicious treat this cake must have been! Bet it was most appreciated.

Keeley said...

Sooo excited for you!

Monica H said...

Amy- I went to your blog and tried commenting several times and it wouldn't let me. I even tried looking for an email address so I could send you a comment but I didn't see one :-(

Anyway, here's my comment for you! I hope you find and read this.

"Bless your heart! Youve made so many yummy things lately and you've done a great job. Thank you so much for adding my blog to the list of links that you trust- that truly makes my day. And it makes my heart sing to know that you've tried so many recipes brom my site and they've worked out for you. I am beyond thrilled and flattered!

Thank you again and happy baking to you! I wish you the best."

~Monica h

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Im back here to say thank u for all ur sweet thoughts :-)))
Baby Boy H sounds so super cute , now im excited as well!
And ur Doc and team sure do deserve this amazing cake !
Am walking around ur blog and all those baked goodies are absolutely exciting me.
The cookies for the man u love are amazingly good :-) are they the crispy ones ??

And all those shortbread cookies ,perfecting the pancake ,lemon love affairs , those cutie pie's ,sheet cakes and more , i simply cant get enough , and am signing off now only coz i need to entertain these massive craving now , be back sooonnn!

Puckleberry said...

I have a September 1 baby too, cheers! Love your blog!

Rug Cleaning Los Angeles said...

Oh, yum! I can't wait to make this one! Maybe with a white russian on the side? Delicious!

Unknown said...

What a nice thing to do for your doctor's office! Maybe I'll take mine a boozy cake when I go for my 6 week checkup. LOL!

Those flowers are lovely. Do you travel with a hospital bag in your car now?? LOL!

monika said...

Your cakes look good, but some of us are purists. I'd prefer to NOT use boxed cake mix or pudding mixes..seems weird. Can you please consider posting your recipes with real/natural ingredients as options..thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails