Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Chocolate Fudge Oreo Bundt for National Chocolate Day!





I had a major craving for chocolate cake one night. It was almost time to start dinner, so I didn't really have time to search for a recipe or bring butter to room temperature so I pulled out one of my favorite baking books- Bundt Classics. I immediately found a recipe that looked good to me and I had all the ingredients on hand. Of course, I added my own touches to it and it took this cake to a whole new level of chocolate deliciousness!



This recipe starts with a chocolate cake mix but you'd never know it. I took the help of the mix and got this cake in the oven in less than 15 minutes. It baked while I made supper then we had it for dessert. Win! I have to be honest, when I was making this, I had no intention of adding Oreos to the batter. I was getting the ingredients from the pantry and Hayden grabbed the Oreos- positioned right at his eye level. He said we needed to add Oreos, so I did! I keep that little genius child around for a reason ;-).


This cake was over the top, a chocolate lovers dream! I mean really, there's the chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, chocolate syrup, chocolate chips and chocolate cookies. Then I had the audacity to top it off with silky ganache and even more chocolate chips. This was fudgy and decadent and cured my cravings. Coincidentally, it's National Chocolate Day, so make this Bundt! 



Chocolate Fudge Oreo Bundt adapted from Bundt Classics

Printer Friendly Version

Cake:
  • 1 (18.25 oz) box chocolate cake mix
  • 1 (3.4 oz) box instant chocolate pudding
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup Hershey's chocolate syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 10 Oreos, coarsely broken

Ganache
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Decoration: 
  • Mini chocolate chips or Oreos, optional

To Make The Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease a 12 cup Bundt pan with non-stick baking spray (with flour). Set aside. 

In a large mixing bowl, combine all the cake ingredients except the chocolate chips and Oreos. Blend with a hand mixer over medium speed until well blended. Scrape the sides of the bowl down and stir in the chocolate chips and crushed Oreos. 

Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 20 minutes. Unmold cake onto a cooling rack or a serving platter and allow to cool completely. 

To Make The Ganache: In a small mixing bowl, heat cream in the microwave until hot and steamy, about 60 seconds. Add the chocolate chips to the hot cream and let them sit for 5 minutes. With a spatula, gently stir the chocolate chips and cream together until the mixture comes together and becomes shiny and silky. Do not use a whisk or stir too vigorously, this will cause air bubbles in the ganache. If tiny lumps of chocolate remain, let the mixture sit a little longer, then stir again until smooth. 

The longer the mixture sits, the thicker it becomes. Allow ganache to thicken a bit before pouring onto cooled cake. You want it pourable but not so thin that it runs off the side of your cake. 

Immediately top with additional mini chocolate chips or Oreo cookies, if desired. Allow ganache to set before serving. Store leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature.










13 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

Monica: I made your cake. I didn't have Oreos so substituted Triscuts. I didn't have a chocolate cake mix so I substituted Stove Top Stuffing mix. It was terrible. I'll never make this again!! Sooo sorry! I just couldn't resist!! It actually looks and sounds delicious!!

Best,
Bonnie

Julie said...

Hayden is a genius for sure! That cake looks awesome. I can't believe I missed chocolate day.

Monica H said...

hahaha! Bonnie, that made me laugh so hard. So funny!

Monica

RO said...

My goodness, this looks yummy and very moist. Kudos to you! Monica - LOL!
Hugs...
www.intheknowwithro.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I will making this for Thanksgiving

Confirmed Chocoholic said...

I made this cake with just a few "little" changes...I added 1 tspn. of cinnamon and I doubled the "ganache" recipe . But it was so FABULOUS I cannot even tell you. I am a "foodie" and incredibly picky about the things I eat AND the things I cook. Savory or sweet..... it doesn't matter. But when I saw this recipe, using a cake mix, instant pudding, Oreos AND ganache I just couln't resist trying it. The cocolate flavor was so over the top!!I was so blown away!!! It is incredibly moist, rich, and so chocolatey that it will become a fave in my family!! Thank-you so much Monica for sharing this with everyone and Thank your sweet son for the Oreo idea!!! Brilliant!! : )

Anonymous said...

WHOA! I just saw this on Pinterest, and will definitely be making it tonight. This is clearly a recipe for my Four Eesential Food Groups* file!
( *Four Eesential Food Groups = Chocolate, Cheese, Beer, & Hummus! )

Anonymous said...

This looks like a chocoholic's dream! I just made some Salted Caramel Sauce for my sister, so I'm thinking I'll substitute that for the chocolate syrup... or maybe drizzle it over the ganache?? And I'll try subbing some crushed chocolate wafers + a dime of coconut oil for half of the Oreo's. (My mind is already swirling with other tweaks & possible sub's. ;>)) Thanks for sharing this fabulous recipe; I can already tell it will be a permanent addition to my Bundt recipes file.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of the above. I just volunteered to make a birthday cake for a co-worker and thought this would be ideal because she requested chocolate flavor. I'm always hesitant making something for the first time for someone other than family but this looks like a no-fail recipe, especially in light of all the other positive comments. Well, here goes - thanks Monica for sharing :-)

Anonymous said...

Have made this cake several times and it is always a big hit. Always moist, tasty, and also freezes quite well if needed. I do like to add a teaspoon of almond flavoring and occasionally replace half the liquid with oj.

Unknown said...

I am making this Now for a family reunion tomorrow omg looks so yummy

Anonymous said...

if i don't have mini chocolate chips, how much of the full size chips?

Monica H said...

Use the same amount

Related Posts with Thumbnails