Friday, August 2, 2013

A Special Anniversary- The Cake Slice Turns 5!



My boy turned 23 months today. That's exciting and terrifying all at the same time. One more month to go til his 2nd birthday! But that's not what I'm writing about today. August 1st is the 5th anniversary for The Cake Slice Bakers. I joined the the cake baking group in April of 2009 and have baked dozens of cakes through 5 different cookbooks and with many talented and amazing women. 

My very first cake that I baked with the group was Chai Cake with Honey-Ginger Cream from Sky High Cakes from Alisa Huntsman and Peter Wynne. I'm not a big fan of chai or ginger but I found this group helped me open my eyes and made me try different techniques and flavors that I wouldn't have otherwise tried. And I've made friends with these awesome women- we support and encourage each other, which is far better than cake. 

In celebration of our 5th anniversary, we decided to bake a special cake to help celebrate. I went back to the original and my favorite cake book of all and made a cake I've wanted to try for quite some time- Mocha Cake with Espresso Drizzle from Sky High Cakes. The cake is three delicious layers of dense, fudgey mocha cake, reminiscent of a flourless chocolate torte. In between the layers is a generous amount of a white chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, sticky espresso infused glaze. It was definitely a celebration cake. I'm so glad this baking group is around and I hope to bake along with them for many more years. 

Happy 5th Anniversary Cake Slice Bakers! If you're interested in keeping up with us, follow The Cake Slice Bakers on Facebook for baking tips, recipes and cake!


Mocha Cake with Espresso Drizzle 


Mocha Cake: 
  • 1 cup freshly brewed espresso or double-strength coffee
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 2/3 cups cake flour
  • 2 2/3 cups sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature

Espresso Drizzle: (see note below)
  • 12 ounces good-quality white chocolate
  • 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 6 tablespoons freshly brewed espresso or double-strength coffee

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottoms and sides of three 8-inch round cake pans or coat with vegetable cooking spray. Line the bottom of each pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper and grease the paper.

To make the cake: In a medium bowl, combine the hot espresso and cocoa powder, stirring to dissolve the cocoa. Let this mocha mixture stand until cooled to body temperature. Meanwhile, in another bowl, beat the eggs lightly.Whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla until well mixed.

Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. With the mixer on low, evenly blend the dry ingredients. Add the butter and the mocha mixture, beating until well blended. Raise the mixer speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, then add the buttermilk-egg mixture in 3 additions, scraping well and blending only to incorporate. Divide the batter among the 3 prepared pans.

Bake the cake layers for 35 to 38 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean but still moist. Let cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks. Carefully peel off the paper liners and let the layers cool completely.

To make the espresso drizzle: (This makes a lot of glaze and could easily be halved- I had quite a bit leftover). Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler or in a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of very hot water.

Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk and espresso and continue whisking until smooth. Use while warm.

NOTE: The white chocolate didn't really want to melt and seemed rather stiff though it was still warm. Once I added the condensed milk and espresso it all came together. I had a few lumps but strained them out before pouring the glaze over the cake. I had a lot of glaze leftover. Next time, I would just make half a recipe.

To assemble the cake: Place one layer, flat side up, on a cake stand or serving plate. Pour 1/2 cup of the Espresso Drizzle onto the center of the layer and spread all the way to the edge, allowing it to drip slightly over the sides. Repeat with the second layer. Set the third layer in place, then pour the remaining drizzle on top and spread to the edges, making sure the glaze drips down the sides, covering all the edges.



13 comments:

Emily said...

Happy 5th Birthday Monica!!

Thank you for being a major part of TCS. Its been wonderful sharing your life and baking at your blog!

Can't wait to see what you are doing for your darling son's 2nd birthday!

Emily said...

ps: awesome cake choice for our special occasion!

Monica H said...

Aww thanks Emily! You're so sweet!

Sandra Lee said...

I could swim in that drizzle, your cake looks so inviting.

Stacie said...

Yum. I need a slice right now!

Unknown said...

Looks great! Happy Birthday Cak Slice :)

OvenDelights said...

Support and encouragement is by far the best thing this group has to offer! I'm glad I found this group and that I have also made wonderful friends all over the world.
Thank you for being part of this group and always making your cakes look so beautiful! :)

Unknown said...

I think my hubby would have loved this moist and delectable cake. Your cake looks so good!! So is your baby model ;) Happy 5 and to many more happy 5s!!

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Your cake looks delicious! =)
Wonderful combination of flavors!!

Paloma said...

I love all the beauty you bring to our group! Your level of perfectionism and excellence challenges us all! Great job Monica! Happy Birthday to our group!

Rs To Gold said...

Thanks for as a big part of TCS. It has been great discussing your daily life along with cooking at your blog!cheap runescape gold

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous cake!

Unknown said...

Good choice for special occasions.anniversary cakes are the best.

Related Posts with Thumbnails