Monday, October 21, 2013

Our Last Vintage Cake



For the past year, The Cake Slice Bakers and I have been baking from Vintage Cakes by Julie Richardson. I missed a baking a few of the recipes when I was writing the cookbook, but the ones I did bake were quite tasty. This is a beautiful book and full of great recipes. If you're a cake fiend like I am, I would recommend you check this book out. 

Next month, we'll be baking from a new cake book so this month, rather than voting on and baking a specific cake, we had the choice to bake any cake we wanted from this book. I narrowed it down to two cakes but eventually decided on Texas Sheetcake because it's my hubby's favorite. The other cake I wanted to make was the Kentucky Bourbon cake. I still intend to make it, I just got busy and ran out of time. My friend Maranda from Jolts & Jollies made it and shared it on her blog if you're interested in the recipe. It looks delicious! 

It's not very often that Hayden falls asleep with Daddy on the couch- he hasn't done that since he was an infant. How sweet is this though? Those curls, my goodness!

This cake was very simple to put together and feeds a crowd. That's the beauty of sheet cakes. I divided the batter between to pans and took some to my mother-in-law. The cake was very moist although it was a little crumbly, in my opinion. Perhaps I could have baked it a couple minutes less or added a tad more oil or an extra egg next time??? There are so many recipes to try though, so I don't feel the need to remake this one. If you make it, I hope you'll let me know how you like it!


Texas Sheetcake from Vintage Cakes


Cake:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup lightly packed premium unsweetened natural cocoa
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup  lightly packed premium unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup toasted chopped nuts
Center an oven rack and preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 15 by 10 by 2-inch baking pan.

To make the cake, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the cocoa. Add the oil and water and bring to a rolling boil for 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to cool slightly. 

Meanwhile, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, then whisk the ingredients by hand to ensure they are well mixed. Pour the warm cocoa mixture into the sifted ingredients and whisk until just combined. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. With a rubber spatula, stir the buttermilk mixture into the batter. Pour the batter into the greased pan and place in the center of the oven. 

Bake until the top is firm and a wooden skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out with moist crumbs, 32 to 35 minutes.

While the cake is in the oven, make the frosting: melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the cocoa and bring the mixture to a rolling boil; boil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and whisk in the milk and vanilla. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time while whisking continuously. 

Immediately after the cake comes out of the oven, pour the frosting over the hot cake and sprinkle with the nuts. Try not to jiggle the cake before it sets or you'll leave waves in the frosting. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.

Well wrapped and stored at room temperature, this cake keeps for up to 5 days.

Want a bite?

31 comments:

The Ninja Baker said...

How fitting that you live in Texas and baked a cake celebrating your state =) I can see why your husband requested the treat.

Congratulations on this beauty and your cookbook, Monica =)

P.s. Ninja Baking readers are seeing an advertisement on the site for Lick the Bowl Good =)

Emily said...

Delicious!

I wanted to bake this but opted for the other. Will do so when I finished off my stock of chocolate chips!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These cakes are perfect for parties

Paloma said...

It looks beautiful! And yes... I think a bit less baking time would've done the trick... When I made this one was very moist too and not too crumbly? I am not sure... I remember we loved it though. Great job Monica!

OvenDelights said...

The frosting has a heating technique, I shouldn't mess this frosting up, it calls for cocoa powder, you know how that scares me!
I should treat the girls at work with this one!

Stacie said...

Oh that pic of your boys sleeping....and the cake ain't bad either!

Unknown said...

This cake doesn't look crumbly at all! It looks super moist and chocolatey and I will have to make it soon :)

Monica H said...

Thank you Ninja Baker!

Emily, yes, give it a try. it was yummy!

Bellini, Yes they are!

Becca and Paloma, it was only a bit crumbly when cutting or eating it. It was still really tasty though.

Anabel- This is an easy glaze. Can't mess this one up! lol.

Stacie, THANK YOU!

Monica

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

Before I get to the cake I just have to say that your little one is so sweet. Totally at peace and those curls.
Now, to the cake - wow, it looks so yummy. I've loved baking along with you and look forward to dong it again with our next book.

Anne@FromMySweetHeart said...

Wow...beautiful Monica! It doesn't look crumbly at all! It actually looks pretty rich and moist. What I wouldn't give for a piece of your cake right now...and Hayden's curls! : )

Laura@baking in pyjamas said...

This sounds like a great cake to bake when you want something quick and easy but still tastes and looks good.

debbie said...

What a great looking cake. I've made Texas sheet cakes before but mine never looked this good!

Unknown said...

Simply adorable, Monica! Hayden sleeping is even sweeter than your cake this month. This recipe looks like a great starter cake for me. Might give it a try this weekend. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Maybe using 2cups of buttermilk and omitting the water would help the moistness. I always love the results of buttermilk in a cake recipe!

Unknown said...

Yes I want a bite!!!! Thanks for the shout out! Your cake looks gorgeous (as always) and delicious. Mmmmm...

Alli Smith said...

I love, love, love Texas Sheet Cake! And yours looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sandra Lee said...

First of all, congrats on your book. It's one I will add to my collection. I've made lot so cakes over the years but never a Texas Sheet Cake. That will have to change. Thanks for the incentive and sharing that adorable picture of your Mr and Hayden.

Unknown said...

Monica, this was my 2nd choice of cake. I was contemplating this for a long long time. After seeing your delish version, I'm convinced that I need to make this next!! It can feed a crowd ;) I'm sure your family finished this in no time!!

Hazel said...

Texas Sheet Cake... yum! I love all of the sounds of that and is it wrong I want to just stick my head into the whole pan of it?! Hazel x

Virginia said...

Hi I have been looking for the Texas sheet cake recipe thank you for posting and your page

Unknown said...

I have never made a TSC... your pictures are always so wonderful and sure do make me want to give this one a go.
Love the picture of the guys sleeping!

:)
Holly

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Congratulations on your new Cookbook!

All of your recipes sound delicious!

Unknown said...

That picture just melted my heart! too sweet <3

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bradmaddox said...

The Best Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
LolsGag.Com

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

ryan james said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

c-line said...

I love this brownie, thanks!!

Unknown said...

Great recipe. The frosting has just the right amount of chocolate and sweetness.

Related Posts with Thumbnails