Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Chocolate and Roses



 There are so many ways to frost a cake. You can spoon it on, schmear it on with a butter knife, you can create swirls and dips with the back of a spoon, you can create an ultra smooth exterior and you can pipe it on. I'm a big fan of super smooth frosting- it's the perfectionist in me that gets all giddy by flawless buttercream :-) I generally only pipe frosting when I'm doing a border on a cake or when decorating cupcakes. But I've wanted to try the piped "rose" look on a cake for awhile and I finally had the opportunity to. It's so easy!


I used a Wilton 2D tip to pipe this. I use this one the most because it makes great flowers and ruffles depending how much pressure you apply. This was my first time trying this so it's not perfect but this technique is good for hiding flaws too. You can go to Bella Cupcakes for a step-by-step on how to do this. 

I made a Devilishly Moist Chocolate Cake recommended by my friend Paloma and covered it in Berry Buttercream. The recipe for the cake is below, but you'll have to get my cookbook if you want the mixed berry buttercream recipe :-) You can use any buttercream recipe you want though to create the swirled roses on this cake or any other cake or cupcakes. Though I have to say, this cake was really good (and stayed moist for several days)!



Devilishly Moist Chocolate Cake 
slightly adapted from The Cake Book by Tish Boyle via Food.com

  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup natural cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 2/3 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water


Position oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 325°. Grease bottom and sides of a 9x3 inch round cake pan; dust the pan with flour and set aside.

Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the sugar, and using the paddle attachment, mix at low speed until blended.

Add the oil and mix a few seconds, until the dry ingredients are crumbly.

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs until blended.

Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract until blended.

With the mixer at low speed, add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until blended, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed.

Gradually add the boiling water and mix just until blended and smooth; scraping down sides as needed.
Pour batter into cake pan.

Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a pick comes out clean.

Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.

Invert cake onto the wire rack and cool completely. Frost as desired.

Makes 1 9-inch round cake


If you missed it, I announced the winner of the Smucker's giveaway HERE

11 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Devilish is just the word.

Stacie said...

Looks pretty perfect to me!

Terry said...

Love your last line, "frost as desired"...so will you come frost my cake for me (cause yours would be so pretty)?

Unknown said...

its lovely and yummy as well

Foodiewife said...

I've been wanting to try this frosting technique, like, forever! I think you did a great job. I hope mine turns out as good.

Abigail said...

That cake looks absolutely gorgeous, it's so pretty I'm not too sure i'd want to spoil it!

I'm holding a giveaway on my blogspot if you'd care to enter c:
http://abigailalicex.blogspot.com

Pasta-recipes said...

It is a masterpiece. It is looks great and i think it is the most delicious cake it the world.

Unknown said...

Wow this is a work of art! I would definitely want a cake like this for my birthday, it's gorgeous :)

Leyo said...

Thanks so much for sharing this post. There are some amazing delicious cakes.Birthday cake makers

arunie said...

What size tip did you use for the rosettes? It's a beautiful cake.

Best Juicers said...

This is awesome! I am sooo going to have to try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails