Saturday, October 18, 2014

Salted Brown Butter Biscoff Treats

Any time I see Biscoff or brown butter in a recipe, I perk up and my eyes get a little bigger. I love those two ingredients and they're even better when you you combine them to make these Salted Brown Butter Biscoff Treats. Rice Krispy treats are so easy to make and they're perfect to make any time of year and I've never met any one who didn't like them. I've made Brown Butter and Spice Rice Treats for years but decided to try something a little different this time. 



Biscoff, if you're not familiar with it, is a creamy spread very similar in consistency to peanut butter, but it's completely nut free because it's made from crushed up Biscoff (Lotus Brand) cookies. They are lightly spiced, caramelized cookies that are quite addicting. When you make it into a spread and can then shovel it into your mouth with a spoon, it becomes heavenly! Mixed with the earthy, nutty flavors of browned butter and accented with sea salt, these treats become irresistible. Hubby said these were amazing, and he rarely dishes out that compliment. 

Salted Brown Butter Biscoff Treats adapted from Bakerella

  • 10 ounces mini marshmallows
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup creamy Biscoff spread
  • 6 cup crisp rice cereal
  • 1 cup coarsely broken Biscoff cookies
  • fleur de sel salt

Butter a 9x9-inch pan. Place the marshmallows in a large bowl and set aside. 

In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Continue to cook, swirling the pot occasionally until the butter boils and becomes foamy. It will turn golden brown and start to smell nutty. Once the butter stops sizzling and the foam subsides, it is ready. Keep an eye on it because you don't want it to burn. This could take 5 to 8 minutes.

Once the butter has browned, remove from the heat and pour the butter and the browned bits over marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are fully coated. Place the bowl into the microwave and heat for one to two minutes, stirring occasionally until the marshmallows are completely melted. Stir in the Biscoff spread until fully incorporated. 

Carefully fold the cereal and the crushed Biscoff cookies into the marshmallow mixture until everything is well coated. Press cereal mixture into the buttered pan and sprinkle the top with sea salt, use as much or as little as you'd like. Allow treats to cool before cutting. 


4 comments:

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

Can you believe I have never had Biscoff cookies or Biscoff spread?!?! There are so many recipes I want to try with it but I never think to buy it! Love your original Brown Butter Rice Krispy Treats so I am sure I would love these (despite never having tried Biscoff!)!! :)

mimi said...

I don't typically click on any sweets, but this recipe certainly got my intention. I've had the cookies, but never the spread. These seriously sound addictive!

My Recent Favorite Books said...

These sound really good!! =)
I love Rice Krispy treats! Pinned.

Dan said...

Thanks for a great recipe. Everyone LOVED them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails