Friday, December 17, 2010

Breakfast In A Cup and A Winner!

It has been a loooong stressful week. My mom had back surgery on Monday and I've been tending to her needs for several days. Luckily she doesn't live too far, but it's hard to help her out the way I want/need to as well as live my own life. She is recovering and doing very well...it only takes time!

There are a lot of things I have yet to do. I try and do one little thing a day, so I don't get overwhelmed, but the boys' Christmas tree still isn't decorated. There are boxes stacked up in our living room and presents need to be wrapped. I haven't started my holiday baking or sent out Christmas cards (eeek!), and things keep piling up. On top of that, there's friction between my sister and I over something stupid. All this led to a minor meltdown on Tuesday and Ingrid got to hear all about it. Thanks for listening my friend :-)

There's just not enough time in my day and the holidays are fast approaching. That's where this meal comes in. It's an all-in-one breakfast in a cup. You have toast, eggs, bacon and cheese all wrapped up into one. They're cute and delicious and come together in a matter of minutes. They're perfect for breakfast any day of the week as well as a simple supper, when you're too tired to do anything else. I baked these in a ramekin, but I'm pretty sure they'd work well in a muffin tin. Get creative and have fun.

Bacon, Egg, and Toast Cups adapted from One Ordinary Day

Printer Friendly Version

Makes 2 servings

  • 4 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 slices bacon, cooked or uncooked
  • shredded Cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter four ramekins and set aside.

While oven is warming, fry bacon slices in a pan until partially cooked, but not crispy (if using precooked bacon skip this step). Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.

Meanwhile, butter the insides of 4 ramekins and cut crusts from 4 slices of bread. Gently press the bread slices into the ramekins.

Place the bacon slice inside the bread, creating a well for the egg. Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese in the center of each bread cup.

Crack an egg into the center of each bread cup. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Cook for 10-15, to your desired level of doneness. Pop toast cups out of ramekins to serve.

And the winner of the Tate's Bake Shop cookies and cookbook is...

Andrew's Mom!

Congratulations sweetie! Email your address and they'll be shipped right out to you.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! this breakfast looks amazing!

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

I am feeling time-deprived too. As lovely as this time of year is, it can also be the silly season. I love this time-saving idea.

Leslie Harris said...

These are too cute! I know what I'm making for Hubby and the kiddies this weekend. :)

Coleens Recipes said...

I've made this before, but never thought of putting in on bread, you are a genius!!

White Toast with Butter said...

I hope your mom is feeling better. I love this idea for a brunch. I sent you an e-mail with my address. Thank you! I love Tate's. Don't get them as often now that I don't work in the city.

Anonymous said...

I love this breakfast idea! Hmmm...... I hope I have all the fixin's. I may make them this morning!

Keeley said...

These little cups are sooo cute! I don't even like eggs and I'd try them (maybe I'd scramble the egg first).

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These are a lot of fun Monica and even the kids can help. The holidays can be pretty stressful trying to make it all as perfect as we can. I say step back a bit and do only what you make time for.

Avril said...

Oh Dear Monica,

I hope you have a better week this coming week. I feel your stress....the holidays can definitely do so to us. You offer so much beauty in life to others that I hope you take a moment to relax and take in some of that precious beauty for yourself.

Yummy egg cups!

~avril :-)

oneordinaryday said...

I keep seeing these or a version of these popping up again. Makes me hungry for breakfast for dinner!

Monica, keep your chin up. Things are gonna slow down again, so try to take a deep breath. :)

vanillasugarblog said...

my hubby adores these lil brekkie cups. i can't make enough of them. i want to try and do a healthier version with sweet potatoes and multigrain bread.

Foodiewife said...

Monica, I was concerned about your being MIA. Hopefully, you and sis will work whatever it is out. I understand our stress, as I just got my house decorated this weekend, and I've not wrapped a thing! It will all work out. Mr. H always comes through for you. We'll chat after the holidays, and I'll be on vacation. Hugs!

Kerstin said...

Hope your mom recovers quickly! These look so yummy and perfect for company!

mbc said...

Oooh, this is on my "to try very soon" list! How fun!

Hope Mom is on the road to recovery!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Anytime....luv ya!

These and those pizza puffs have been on my must try list for forever. I'd make them like this for the kids but will scramble the eggs for mine.
~ingrid

Allie said...

Monica, I hope your mom is doing better. It is so hard to be a woman during the holidays. It is nearly impossible to do it all while still enjoying the season. I hope that you take these last few days before Christmas to relax (even if everything is not done). You deserve to put your feet up and enjoy some hot cocoa by the fire :)
Btw, love the breakfast in a cup!

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

I'll be making this tomorrow for breakfast! Thanks :)

Dianna said...

hi, just wondering how many ounces are the ramekins??I'm trying to order these so I can make it.

lovely idea :)

Thanks!

Monica H said...

Dianna- I'm not exactly sure how many ounces are in the ramekins (because I'm too lazy to dig them out and measure) but I want to say they hold about a half cup or 4 oz. The smaller ramekins are the ones I purchased from Pier One for about $1.50 each- http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/Dining/tabid/977/CategoryId/898/ProductId/1578/ProductName/Porcelain-Ramekins/Default.aspx

Of course any small glass dish (Pyrex) would work as well.

~Monica

Anonymous said...

I just made these and they were delicious! I added some chopped mushrooms and parsley as well.

Carol said...

Thanks, Monica. For another great recipe. Made these for breakfast today. They were delicious. I used whole grain bread and pepper jack cheese because that is what I had on hand. It was so much nicer than a regular bacon and egg breakfast.

bree13 said...

J'ai adoré !

http://gateauxandco.over-blog.com/article-petit-dejeuner-dans-une-tasse-115734897.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails