Thursday, January 10, 2013

Souper Woman



Happy New Year! Yes, I'm a little late, with that greeting, but I've been on (a self awarded) winter break, lounging in my pajamas, hanging out with family and playing with my son. I haven't picked up my camera since Christmas except to snap a few photos of the sunset or Hayden and it's been quite nice. I'm ready to get back in the kitchen though and start playing with sugar and flour again-- so many recipes, so little time. 


I came up with this recipe awhile back and I've made it several times. My hubs is not a soup lover so we don't eat much of it, but he actually requests this one often. Sometimes, he doesn't even say anything, he just jots down the ingredients on our grocery list and I know he's having a craving. My 17 year old brother even liked it so much, he ate 2 1/2 bowls of it and kindly requested I write the recipe down for him (on his iPhone) so he could replicate it. If that's not a sign of a good recipe, I don't know what it. Of course, he had my mom make it and was no where to be found when she was in the kitchen, but he had the best of intentions :-).  There are few ingredients in this soup, but it's so flavorful. Served with crusty bread, this is a hearty, but healthy meal. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 

Sausage, Spinach and Tortellini Soup from Monica h

Printer Friendly Version 
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
  • 1 pound Italian sausage
  • 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 32 ounces chicken broth
  • 4 cups water
  • 9 ounces fresh Buitoni cheese tortellini
  • kosher salt to taste
In a heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes until fragrant. Add the sausage to the pot, breaking it up into crumbles; cook thoroughly. 

Add the diced tomatoes, spinach, chicken broth and water. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. 

Bring the mixture to a boil then add the fresh pasta. Cook according to package directions (5-10 minutes) or until pasta is tender. Season with salt to taste. Serve. 



14 comments:

Memória said...

I bookmarked this recipe. I can actually make this soup here. I may even make the tortellini myself. The soup looks so good!!

Um...there is something missing in this post...er, should I say someone. *hint hint*

P.S. I'm glad you all are doing well. *hugs*

Hannah, Here! said...

We have this all the time. LOVE IT!

csr513 said...

This looks so yummy! My husband is going to love this, and he's so not a soup guy (like your hubby!). Thanks so much for posting this!

Happy New Year!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

This soup is perfect for all the rainy we have been having the past few days!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

*rainy weather*

Jan said...

Taking time out with your family is a very good thing and your blog will still be there! But precious moments won't! This looks like a yummy soup.

Beth J said...

YUM! Cold here in Phoenix definetly soup weather.
Thanks

The Perkins Family said...

Looks yummy! I make one very much like it. Here's the recipe link for mine:
http://allrecipes.com/personalrecipe/63082232/pasta-bean-soup/detail.aspx

Kate said...

This is too strange - I just stumbled on you from Pinterest, started browsing, and lo and behold we share an exact birthday *AND* made the same soup for the holidays (although I put gnocchi in ours - delicious.)

Love your blog and have saved about a dozen of your recipes for when my weight loss resolution gets dropped... hopefully soon. ;)

Kerstin said...

I can see why your hubby loves this - it's comfort in a bowl and a nice hearty meal with the tortellini in there :)

js said...

Hope you're having a great new year too. The soup looks amazing!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart said...

Hi Monica! I am a huge fan of soup and actually eat it all year round! I especially love soup with tortellini! This looks so comforting! I was reading about your love of cake stands...and I'm beginning to collect them too! I'm curious where you find yours! Anyway, pinning this gorgeous soup to my must make list! : )

jamie tarence said...

Just found your blog and love your recipes; thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Just made this for dinner tonight! And it was a hit - the hubby said it needs to stay! And all the kids loved it as well :)
Thanks so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails