Saturday, May 24, 2014

Getting Back Into The Groove



 I felt out of place the other day in my own kitchen. I took a few months off away from baking and blogging and I almost forgot how to do it! I post pics to my Instagram (monica_h30) account daily, but it's been awhile since I've actually picked up my DSLR to photograph a recipe with the intent to blog. It was exciting and kind of nerve wracking at the same time. Even hubby was surprised at what I was doing. It turns out, blogging is kind of like riding a bike. Or I assume it is, it has been YEARS since I actually got on one :-) I pulled props from around my kitchen and out of my vintage glass stash and it all came together. 


These scones came about because I had really ripe berries and heavy cream to use up. I put my spin on it and did things a little differently than the original recipe and they turned out delicious. They're also quite patriotic looking with their red, white and blue-ness! Once cooked, the strawberry flavor intensifies and produces little pockets of  jam-like goodness. The scone itself is barely vanilla and tender, with crunchy sugared tops. Enjoy with a pat of butter or whipped cream (or "keem" as Hayden likes to call it) and more fresh fruit. These are perfect for long, lazy weekends. 

Happy Memorial Day! 


StrawBerry and Cream Scones
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1 cup chopped ripe strawberries
  • 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup heavy cream plus more for brushing the tops
  • sanding sugar or turbinado sugar for sprinkling


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together. Mix to combine.

Add the cubed, cold butter to the flour. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is pea sized and the mixture is crumbly. 

Gently stir in the strawberries and blueberries so that they are coated in the flour mixture. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract just until the mixture comes together. 

Place the dough onto a floured work surface and knead two to three times until a mass is formed, being careful not to over work the dough. Pat the dough into a flat disc about 10-inches wide and about 1-inch thick. 

Using a sharp knife, a bench scraper or a pizza wheel, divide the round into 8 equal triangles. Place the triangles onto the parchment lined baking sheet, about 1-2 inches apart. Brush the tops with additional heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. 

Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until the scones are golden brown. Cool slightly before serving. 

Makes 8 scones. 



This little booger hovers over me while I'm taking photos in the kitchen. He could not wait til I was done so he could dig in. I set my camera down and he helped himself to several fingers full of "keem". Then he said "take picture" and stuck out his tongue. He was very proud of himself! How could I resist those eyes and that curly top?

17 comments:

Deb said...

Welcome Back! I love your blog. The pictures, recipes and the stories are all great. Keep it up. Deb

Anonymous said...

Missed your from scratch recipes!
Can't wait to make these. Your photos are beautiful.
Take care!
Tanya alice

Angie said...

Your child is gorgeous! Love pics of him as much as your baked goodies! Missed you and love your blog.

Hugs,

Angie

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

So glad to see that you are feeling your baking and blogging grove again!!! : ) I have some overripe strawberries that I was just staring at trying to think of something to make with them. I totally think these scones would be perfect for breakfast tomorrow! Oh, and I know the feeling about people hovering over you as you try to take a picture..... only my hovering side kick is not a child! LOL!

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Welcome Back! =) I love all of your posts and your recipes!

Your little boy is so cute!

I think these scones would be perfect anytime - I ((love)) sweets!

greenthumb said...

Hi just found your lovely Blog, your dessert looks and sound so tasty.

Avril said...

Scones with berries are pure happiness! Beautiful treasures you have there Darling! - including that little boy :-)

Linda said...

The scones look delicious!

Foodiewife said...

I would imagine that all that hard work you did to write your cookbook took it's toll on you, on top of being the mom of a very active (and adorable) toddler. I'd say that your return engagement is well done, here. I love scones with keem!

Unknown said...

I made this the other day. Absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Pretty Young Thrifter said...

4 cups



all-purpose flour








1 1/2 teaspoons



baking powder








1 teaspoon



cinnamon








1 teaspoon



salt








2 cups



butter, softened








2 1/2 cups



granulated sugar








7 large



eggs








i WOULD THINK THIS OLD FASHIONED POUND CAKE RECIPE WITH THE ADDTION OF ON OF THE FLAVORED DUNKIN DONUT COFFEES WOULD BE A GREAT DESSERT FOR A FAMILY GATHERING

4 CUPS AP FLOUR
1 1/2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
1 TEASPOON CINNAMON
1 TEASPOON SALT
2 CUP BUTTER , SOFTENED
2 1/2 CUPS GRANULATED SUGAR
7 LARGE EGGS
1 CUP EXTRA STRONG COFFEE, DOUBLE-STRENGTH, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE


POWERED SUGAR FOR DUSTING THE CAKE



I WAS THINKING THE BLUEBERRY COFFEE AND SERVING IT WITH FRESH BLUEBERRIES AND WHIPPED TOPPING.





Unknown said...

Glad you're back to blogging again. I'm in Portugal right now so I don't know how often I'll be able to blog. Hayden looks extremely cute in that photo! I love making scones even more than eating them!

cybil said...

Such a big boy now! Wonderful!!

Annette said...

Hi Monica - just found your blog and pinned a bunch of recipes. Yum! Is there a recipe for the bars on the top right of your header? I've been searching, but not having any luck so far.... Thanks!!!

Sex Shop RJ said...

Hi
I'm a fan of your blog and want to say I love the objective form to write your texts.
Your posts have been of great importance to me and I always come back here for new information.
Congratulations for the work and wish you luck and success. Thanks for sharing all this with us.

Unknown said...

Oh my word! Must make these, looks amazing :)

Savor The Baking said...

I'm glad that you are back blogging. Looking forward to your photos and delicious recipes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails