Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Black Bottom Cookie Bars



Have you ever had a recipe on your "to-bake bucket list" for so long that when you finally make it, you're kinda disappointed? That's how I felt about these black bottom cookie bars. Don't get me wrong, these bars were quite tasty, but not at all what I was expecting. I bookmarked this recipe from Bake or Break back in 2011 and just now made them. They were very simple to throw together. You melt butter, mix it with other ingredients, then divide the batter in half and add cocoa powder and chocolate chunks to one half, then layer and bake. I appreciate the ease, because I'm sometimes lazy in the kitchen, but I didn't love the heavy texture. 

I was hoping for a soft, chewy sugar cookie consistency, instead they were kind of dense and fudgy. We ate half then they just kind of sat around on the counter for a few days til they got stale and I eventually threw them out. Then I realized there are no leavening agents in this recipe- no baking soda, no baking powder and that probably was the reason they were a little heavy. These had great flavor and I think with a little tinkering of the recipe they could be great. However, if you like dense and fudgy treats, then leave it as is and enjoy!


Black Bottom Cookie Bars from Everyday Food via Bake or Break

Printer Friendly Version

  • 1 cup unsalted butter, melted 
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line with parchment, leaving about a 2-inch overhang on two sides. Lightly butter parchment.

Whisk together butter and both sugars in a large bowl. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Gradually add flour and salt, mixing just until moistened.

Divide batter in half, and transfer one half to a separate bowl. Stir in cocoa powder and chocolate chips until combined.

Place chocolate batter in baking pan. Spread evenly and smooth top. Spread plain batter on top of chocolate batter. Smooth top.

Bake 25-35 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (mine took longer to bake). Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

Little Bit was ready for that glass of milk :-)

5 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I do like dense and fudgy but I could probably stop at a few small pieces. At east I hope I could stop:D

My Recent Favorite Books said...

I like fudgy, but could only eat a few pieces at a time.
These sound tasty!

Unknown said...

I don't know what you're talking about. These look so delicious! But then again I love anything fudgy :P

Sue said...

Did you say dense and fudgy? Uh, yes...that sounds just about perfect for my taste buds. Could we add a little peanut butter too? Can you tell I have a sweet tooth that I'm trying not to feed? Hope all is well with you.

Anonymous said...

Would love to have a go at these but don't do the "cup" measurements, I only work in lbs and ounces..they look and sound soooo tasty...

Related Posts with Thumbnails