Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving 2013!



Here's a simple yet delicious and equally impressive pie I made a couple weeks ago. I found the recipe from Christy at The Girl Who Ate Everything. I read the reviews on Allrecipes and made some tweaks. I also made my own graham cracker crust. A graham cracker crust consists of graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter- three very simple ingredients yet it tastes so much better than the premade store bought crusts. I also added more spice, pumpkin and a little sour cream to the cheesecake part of the pie. This pie was excellent. So good it was gone after one evening and everyone that had some, wanted a second slice. 


This pie does need a little refrigeration time, so make it the night before, or early on the day you want to serve it so it has time to properly chill and firm up. Oh and serve with plenty of sweetened whipped cream! I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends. Have a great weekend, and while you're shopping might I remind you that my cookbook, Lick The Bowl Good makes a great gift :-). Look for it in Barnes & Noble book stores and online. 


Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie 


Graham Crust: 
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Filling: 
  • 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

For The Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Stir in the melted butter until thoroughly blended.

Press mixture firmly into a 9-inch pie pan, bringing crumbs evenly up the sides up to the rim.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. While crust is cooling, prepare the filling. 

For The Filling: Reduce the oven to 300 degrees F. 

Beat the cream cheese til creamy and there are no lumps. Then add the sugar and vanilla. Beat until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. 

Divide the batter evenly into two bowls. Add sour cream to one half and mix until well combined. 

Pour the sour cream/ cream cheese mixture into the bottom of the prepared, cooled crust. Spread it into an even layer. 

Add the pumpkin puree and the pumpkin pie spice to the remaining cream cheese mixture. Blend well and gently pour the pumpkin mixture over the cream cheese layer. 

Bake in a 300 degree oven for 50-55 minutes. The center of the pie may jiggle slightly. Turn the oven off, crack the door open and let cool in the oven for 30 minutes. Refrigerate pie until well chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight. 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hayden looks wonderful, I got your recipe book just for me my little own Hanukkah gift which happens to be on Thanksgiving day tooooo..never happens like that in hundreds of years but this year it will..Happy Turkey day, blessed Hanukkah and a wonderful 2014 coming up, follow your blog, now I can make the recipes you talk about on your blog, cioa and much love to you and your from mjs in Washington state a shivering and soon to be snow yukkk but it is green all year long here and beautiful too..XXX()()()()XXXXX

Coleens Recipes said...

Pie and photograph are true perfection!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family (just love that photo of Hayden, how cute).

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Your pie sounds delicious!

Love the photo of Hayden, he is so cute!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I also made this for Thanksgiving, with my own graham crust. It is a keeper and has been added to our "tradition" recipes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica,

I've been following your dessert blog for some time, though I've never commented before.

I came across a recipe that I thought you might like, in case you haven't seen it already. It's a brandy butter glaze cake, with the recipe from Williams-Sonoma. (Link below):

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/snowflake-cake-with-brandy-butter-glaze.html

Background:

During Christmas season in the UK, which is where I'm at for now, they have a hard sauce called 'brandy butter' that they mix with many desserts, especially pies.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

A fan from UK :)

Irmina Díaz-Frois Martín said...

Muy rico, me gusta.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this delicious recepies,I just finish making four delicious cream cheese pies ,love it.I'll be enjoying them for a couple of days I Appreciate it!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails