Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sweet Love Child

At the start of the new year, many of you will vow to cut out sweets from your life, go on diets and jump on the treadmill, desperately trying to drop a few holiday pounds. I get very lonely when that happens :-) Since I have a couple more days before 2013 gets here, I thought I'd share one last recipe in 2012 that's full of buttery, sugary goodness. Can I tempt any of you with Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Coffee Cake? There are oats and raisins in it, so don't feel so guilty. 

My very own photo/blog assistant!

I saw this recipe and had to make it, because I love me a good oatmeal raisin cookie. It's such a simple cookie, but it delivers every time- chewy raisins and oats, crunchy and buttery edges...oh, so good! There are oats in the cake batter, in the filling and the top cookie crumble. It's got raisins scattered throughout with spicy cinnamon and nutmeg perfuming the whole thing. It's practically health food. If coffee cake and cookies got together and had a love child, this would be it. And what a sweet love child it would be. While there is no coffee in this cake, a warm cuppa is the perfect accompaniment. 


Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Coffee Cake adapted from Baking Bites

Printer Friendly Version

For The Cake:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup quick cooking oats
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For The Cookie Crumble:
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 2/3 cup raisins
  • 1/3 cup quick cooking oats

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan.

To make the cookie crumble: In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mixture until well combined and the mixture is coarse and sandy. Stir in raisins and oats until mixed throughout. Set aside while you make the cake batter.

To make the cake: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.

Blend in half of the flour mixture until just combined. Add all of the buttermilk and the vanilla and stir until  well mixed, then blend in the remaining flour mixture and mix until just combined, but do not overbeat.

To Assemble: Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Top with half of the cookie crumble. Pour remaining batter on top and spread carefully to the sides of the pan. Sprinkle the remaining crumble evenly over the batter.

Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, before running a knife around the edge and carefully removing the springform ring. Allow to cool completely before serving. 

Store cake in an airtight container.

Thank you for the support and encouragement you all have shown me here at Lick The Bowl Good. I couldn't do this without each and every one of you. I hope to bring you many new and delicious creations in the upcoming year. Please be safe as you ring in 2013. Cheers!

~Monica H

13 comments:

Debbie said...

This looks delicious Monica! With oatmeal and raisins no less! Love your blog and hope have a safe and happy new year too!!!

Unknown said...

Yuuuum! :) I recently just started liking raisins and now that you've have mentioned oatmeal cookies all I want to eat is an oatmeal cookie, and I haven't even had breakfast yet :P I hope you're happy ;)

Foodiewife said...

Rest assured that I know the first three letters in DIET is D-I-E. I'm not stupid enough to set myself up for failure. I just eat in moderation. This looks perfect. I fully intend to post my coconut cake recipe, this week, without any shame. Happy New Year, my friend! Love your blog assistant.

Jan said...

I'm always wondering what yummy dessert is next! Monica, I hope you and your family have a very Happy New Year!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I hope that 2013 is rich in experiences, filled with love and happiness and full of sweets Monica. Have a safe and happy New Year. Smile often and those around you will too.

Keeley said...

Yum! Happy 2013!

Abby said...

Love you, love your blog, but you can keep those raisins. ;) Happy New Year!

leonieke said...

hai monica, thank you for all your lovely blogs this year, youv've been an inspiraton! have a wonderful new year!

Memória said...

Hayden is so freaking cute!! ¡Feliz año nuevo!

Donna (Texas) said...

This looks Wonderful!
Happy New Year from a fellow Central Texan!

cybil said...

Looks delicious!
Happy new year from Stuttgart/Germany!
Sibylle

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...


Oh yum! I love a good coffee cake recipe and who doesn't love oatmeal raisin cookies! Totally making this soon!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Oh my goodness, looks fantastic!

Related Posts with Thumbnails