Monday, June 20, 2011

The Cake Slice: Baking With Maranda

I have a special "Cake Slice" cake for you today. "What makes it so special?" you may be asking yourself. It's special because I got to co-bake with my fellow Cake Slice Baker- Maranda of Jolts & Jollies! I first met Maranda in person back in December when she was visiting family and friends over the holidays. We wanted to bake together but time was limited. Lucky for me, she just moved back to Texas a few weeks ago, so hanging out together in the kitchen was finally possible.

Every month we get to vote on a selection of cakes and usually there is a definitive winner. However, this month there was a tie between Lime Chiffon Cake and Fresh Strawberry Cake with White Chocolate Chips so we got to choose which one we wanted to bake. Maranda made one and I made the other. So today, you get two recipes for the price of one!

Maranda actually made her cake a couple times. She had issues with the first one and wasn't so pleased with it, but the second one came out beautifully- it was tall, light and airy. She even added a glaze to it to send it over the top. The step by step recipe for the Lime Chiffon Cake can be found on her blog- Jolts & Jollies.

My strawberry white chocolate chip cake came together really quickly and effortlessly. I did forget to dust my strawberries in flour before I folded them in, but it turned out just fine. The fresh strawberry flavor came through, there were sweet little buttery pockets from the white chocolate chips, and the lemon zest, was just enough to brighten it up without making it taste like lemon. It was really moist from the addition of the sour cream and I thoroughly enjoyed this cake. So much that I may or may not have eaten it for breakfast a couple days in a row :-) It was a little plain jane looking, but a little sweetened whipped cream and a strawberry garnish go a long way.

Strawberry White Chocolate Chip Cake from Cake Keeper Cakes

Printer Friendly Version

  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 8 oz. strawberries, stemmed and sliced
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips or chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and dust it with flour, knocking out any extra. Set aside.

Combine the egg, egg yolk, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla in a large glass measuring cup and lightly beat. Combine 1 1/4 cups. flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.

Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice as necessary.

With the mixture on medium-low speed, pour the egg mixture into the bowl in a slow stream, stopping the mixture once or twice to scrape down the bowl.

Turn the mixture on low speed and add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. After the last addition, mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.

Combine the strawberries and remaining 1/4 cup of flour in a medium bowl and toss to coat. Fold the flour covered berries along with the chocolate chips into the batter with a rubber spatula.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake the cake until it is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up on a rack to cool completely. (I let mine cool in the pan). Cut into 9 squares and serve.

Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.

Be sure to check out all the other Cake Slice Bakers' cakes!

23 comments:

Healthy and Homemade said...

Those pictures are totally drool-worthy. And how wonderful you got to cook with your friend. I would love to do that it sounds like a blast. Hope you're doing well!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

Sounds like a fun day of baking!

jess☆ said...

You had me at the picture of strawberries and white chocolate chips... these look devine! One of my favourite flavour combinations!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

Yay, two of my favorite ladies in one post!! :) Jealous that you guys get to do this!

Emily said...

Another great presentation by you!

Unknown said...

Wow, I would have never guessed that that cake was plane jane (I didn't get a chance to make either of the cakes) but then again I don't know howto beautify anything :P

Nice job :)

Unknown said...

Wow! Your pictures came out beautifully! I need you to help me learn more about my camera! LOL!

That cake was really good. Both of them were! And I think you are the only person who has been able to nab a picture of me...like...ever! LOL!

Thanks for the great day of baking!!! I hope we get to do it again soon. I hope I won't let you down this next time.

Elle said...

Great fun that you baked together...and your cake looks lucious!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful summer cake! I can't wait to try it bundt-style!

Katie said...

What a great idea to bake together and make one cake each - that way you still get to taste them both.
Your strawberry cake looks like a winner to me. I love simple cakes like this at the moment

Manderley de GuindillayCanela said...

Fantástico pastel, me encanta!!

Regards

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Ah - your strawberries kept their shape much better than mine so your cake looks wonderful.

KitchenTherapy said...

ahhh stop it i'm on a diet.
I need that cake in my mouth with in the next three days
other wise I'm ganna be a granky bunny.

Ps love maranda tatoos

Heather S-G said...

Oh my gosh...YUM! All those pictures make my mouth water. That cake of Maranda's w/ the glaze nestled in the groove...aaaahhhhhh... Sounds like fun, I need to visit with a blog-friend, too.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Both of the cakes look so beautiful. The lime glaze and whipped topping send both of them over the top. Mine barely made it out of the pan let alone waiting for topping ;)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It is so much fun to bake together! I would tajke a piece of each cake please, because decision making is not my best quality.

Miri said...

How awesome to meet up with a fellow baker! As always, your cake looks so pretty :) Am just dying to have a piece right now!

Maria said...

Strawberries and white chocolate-very nice!

Erin said...

This cake looks absolutely delicious! I love the white chocolate chips in there!

Kerstin said...

What a unique strawberry cake with those white chips mixed in - wish I had a slice for breakfast tomorrow :)

Allie said...

I'd want Maranda around too if she was making delicious cakes! I love the idea of white chocolate chips and strawberries mmm!

Donna-FFW said...

How lucky, how fun to have a partner in the kitchen!!! The cake sounds fabulous!!!!

oneordinaryday said...

Oh, how fun! And the cake looks so moist and wonderful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails