Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cookies For The Man I Love

A couple of years ago I saw Jacque Torres make these incredible chocolate chip cookies on the Martha Stewart Show. Not only were they huge, plate sized, cookies, they were also different because they used fancy European butter and chocolate discs, rather than just chocolate chips. The cookies were clearly something special. I didn't have a laptop at the time, so when I saw a recipe I was interested in, I would jot it down on a yellow notepad and stash it away. That's what I did with this recipe, but because they were working so fast, and I was copying down the recipe just as quickly, I missed a few measurements and steps.

I didn't have the complete recipe, but I never forgot about those cookies. I knew they would make an appearance in my future. I even bought a pound of expensive Plugra butter from a specialty store and I saved it til the time was right. I was intimidated by the recipe because, in my head, I made them out to be so much more complex than they ever were. I continued to save the butter until I was ready. Sadly that time never came and when I pulled the butter out of the chilled compartment and brought it to room temperature, to smear on my toast, it tasted like fridge. It was gross. But what should I have expected? I only "saved" it for about a year!

Then I came across a similar recipe from the New York Times that everyone was raving about. I wanted to make them for my hubby for his birthday last year. That didn't happen. I planned to make them for Father's Day. That also didn't happen. But 2011 was my year and I finally conquered the chocolate chip cookie! You know what? They're not too hard or complex, they just require time and patience. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to make them. They really are special cookies and if you top them off with a sprinkling of sea salt before they bake, as the recipe suggests, then you'll end up with something a little sweet and salty, even slightly savory. I preferred them without the salt, but to each their own. At least try one with salt before you make up your mind.

I'm not only glad that I made these cookies and can check them off my baking "bucket list" but I'm glad that my husband really enjoyed them. He's a big chocolate chip cookie fan and these were quite satisfying. They're also really huge and one goes a long way. I preferred them slightly warm out of the oven, while the chocolate was still soft and gooey with a tall glass of ice cold milk, but they were also great, albeit a little crunchier, over the next couple of days. A good thing about this recipe is that you can prepare the dough ahead of time and bake them as you want them. Just think, you can make the dough for these now and have warm-out-of-the-oven cookies, all weekend long for that special Dad in your life. Yes, that's a good way to say "I love you".

I love you my handsomely scruffy faced husband. I could not have been blessed with a better partner or Dad to our boys. Happy Father's Day!

New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies from NYT

Printer Friendly Version
  • 2 cups minus 2 Tbsp. (8.5 ounces) cake flour
  • 1 2/3 cup (8.5 ounces) bread flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. (8 ounces) granulated sugar
  • 2 larges eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate discs, at least 60% cacao content
  • sea salt

Sift flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, about 5-10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough can be used in batches and may be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.

Scoop 6 (six) 3 1/2 ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally and chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle slightly with sea salt and bake until golden but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto a rack to cool for a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking the remaining batches the next day. Eat warm with a big napkin.

Makes 18 5-inch cookies.

You better believe anytime I am baking, Autumn is never too far :-)

______________________________________________________

The winner of the Guylian Belgian Chocolate Giveaway according to Random.org is:

Commenter #10- Lynn Thompson who said "Congratulations on reaching the 24 week mark in your pregnancy. My daughter is also 24 weeks pregnant with my first grandchild and we are so excited. If I win the chocolate I will give them to her and we will talk about your journey to this point!"

Congratulations Lynn on your win and for being a soon-to be grandma! I hope you and your daughter will enjoy the beautiful chocolate creations from Guylian! Please email me with your address and I'll have Guylian send out your special box of sea shell chocolates.

44 comments:

Katie said...

Wow they look really tasty cookies. I love the big chunks of chocolate in them, no missing those! Its so satisfying when you can cross something off the 'to bake' list.

Coleens Recipes said...

That is one SERIOUS cookie!! Happy Fathers Day to your hubby.

Anonymous said...

Omg that's a lucky man!! Your cookies look just perfect.

KitchenTherapy said...

ahh thats one big cookie. shame its not mine. :D

Debbie said...

Love the pictures....such a great looking cookie.....a nice post too!

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot said...

These cookies are really the best chocolate chip cookie, ever

Lara B Knight said...

Wow - now those are cookies. Perfect for Father's Day. Don't you just love cooking with your pups. I know I must be doing something right if they are circling like sharks. I hope you have a great weekend.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I bet my hubby would love this yummy cookie too!

Dee W said...

These look amazing! I may have to try these!

Heather S-G said...

I think these were worth the wait (even if they are not the exact ones you started w/)...they're gorgeous! So big and thick and I know my hubs (and me) would love them, too!!

Unknown said...

Wow, now those are man-sized cookies you've got there. :) They look fantastic though!

Keeley said...

Mmmm! I know these cookies are good! I'm going to bake a batch and let my husband have first dibs and bring the rest to the office the following day. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These are a fitting treat for that special man in your life. I'n glad you were finally able to find the recipe, or at least a similar one:D

Julie said...

I think if food really talked, these cookies would definitely say "I love you". I'm sure your hubby enjoyed the heck out of them!

Erin said...

Oh, wow! I want one of these now! I love giant cookies, and this just looks chocolate, and chewy and delicious! That is one lucky man!

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to make these! So many people have been raving about them. I'll have to try them soon!

Memória said...

I love those cookies without the salt, too. They look lovely as does Sam!

Abby said...

They look perfect! Bakery-worthy. But I'm definitely a salt girl. (How are you feeling? Still waiting here. 39 weeks tomorrow. SO ready for something to happen!)

Foodiewife said...

LOL! How many times I've bought an ingredient for a recipe, stashed it and then it either expires or I forget what it was for. Good Gosh, these look decadent. You forgot to add a dash of Monica love in the recipe for Mr. H. Please tell him, "Happy Father's Day" from his Monterey friend. So nice to see you blogging.

Mariska said...

Here is the link for the original cookie at Martha Stewart:

http://www.marthastewart.com/314346/jacques-torress-secret-chocolate-chip-co

Donna-FFW said...

I love the looks of this cookie, Monica.
Ive been absent from blogging for a while, and I can NOT tell you how thrilled I am to read of your wonderful news...
I wish you both the very best! I am so so so very happy for you. No one deserves it more!

Lisa said...

Hey Monica, this isn't about the delicious looking cookies at all, but I just wanted to say that your dog is absolutely gorgeous! What kind of dog is he/she?

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Happy Father's Day, Mr. H!
~inga

Patsy said...

One recipe I have for NYT Chocolate Chip Cookies calls for everything you mention but also 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar along with the brown. Is this a change you made or did they add it?

TIffany said...

I've been thinking and thinking about what to have for Father's day, wanting something special, but not too much work(we have 6 children, 7 and under :-). We had just been talking about how chocolate chip cookies HAVE to be homemade, NOT store bought. Great idea, thanks! ~T~

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Simplicity and decadence in one bite! I can't resist a yummy choco chip cookie! What a great idea for that special guy of yours! I hope that you're feeling well Monica! Take care!

Monica H said...

Mariska- Thanks for the link!

Donna- So glad to see you back and blogging. I've missed you!

Lisa- She's a mixed breed and she was found on the street when she was just a pup so we're not certain what she is, but we think she's part beagle, spaniel and border collie.

Patsy- Thanks for pointing that out. You are absolutely correct. I just forgot to put the granulated sugar in the recipe, but it's all fixed now!

~Monica

Unknown said...

I love that recipe. I want to get some of those chips. Holy moly. Those look sooo good. (I will not break my diet, I will not break my diet, I will not break my diet...)

oneordinaryday said...

They are enormous cookies! Holy cow! I would totally want the sprinkling of sea salt on top. Bet that would be a-ma-zing.

Avril said...

This is the 2nd time today that I've seen a recipe for CCC's (oh, I'm liking that abreviation!...chocolate chip cookies) made with cake flour and bread flour...must be a sign that these two flours are key to creating fabulously yummy CCC's. And of course seeing how gorgeous (and BIG) your cookies came out from this recipe I will def have to try it!

Le palais gourmand said...

Ils semblent délicieux et bien fondant ces biscuits. À tester!!

Kerstin said...

These definitely look like they're worth buying the expensive chocolate for - the perfect Father's Day treat :)

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Holy Moly, they're HUGE! I don't even want to know the calorie count. I do know, however, that Jacques is called Mr. Chocolate for a reason - I bet they are among the best chocolate chip cookies around!

Happy Father's Day to your hubby!!

Donna M said...

Made these delicious cookies today for my hubby on Fathers Day ... Although they only made 18 cookies, that was plenty. The size were enormous, but the flavor was great. My cookies were thick, dense, crusty on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside --- just how I like them. Thank you for sharing the recipe. ;)

Meatloaf Recipe said...

Delicious looking cookies! Thanks a lot for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Plate sized cookies??? I'm SO in!!! Yum!! And I think the salt on top would be awesome!

cookies and cups said...

now THAT's a cookie!!! Yes and please and can i have another?!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Holy cookie! That is amazing! We would gobble these up in no time at all =)

Anonymous said...

Why did I find your blog? Just when I've decided to start a diet. Everything looks luscious.

Chino said...

Love your blog! Everything looks so yummy. Decided to try this recipe and dough is in fridge right now. Just wondering, noticed this recipe didn't call for baking soda, just powder. Other versions of this recipe call for both. Wondering if I made a mistake leaving out baking soda?

MaryC said...

Can you tell me how much baking soda?

Monica H said...

Mary C- 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda. My apologies- I'll fix that as soon as possible. Thanks for letting me know there was an error.

Monica

Anonymous said...

Can I substitute the chocolate disks for broken up chunks of chocolate from a chocolate bar?? I'm an Inexperienced baker ;/
I can't find chocolate disks in my Small town..
Thank you for your recipes And your advice!

Monica H said...

Yes, that would've a great substitute. Just be sure to use good quality chocolate!

Related Posts with Thumbnails