Friday, June 24, 2011

Reaching Into The Archives

I'm reaching into the archives today for this recipe. I made this bread back in August of last year and forgot to post it, then winter came along and it didn't seem very seasonal to share then and it just got lost in the shuffle. And since zucchini is plentiful at the moment, it just seemed like a good time to share this with you. I'm sure many of you have recipes that are backlogged....right? Please tell me I'm not the only one! I hope not, because there are more where this one came from.

Now that doesn't mean that I haven't been busy in the kitchen, because I have. In the past couple weeks, I made almond jam bars for a friend, chewy coconut lime cookies (that I'll share soon!), Mr. H's grandmother's homemade vanilla ice cream, and today I made a rustic apple pie with a secret ingredient. I'll share all of those recipes in due time, but today it's about a simple tea bread flecked with vibrant orange and green veggies- carrots and zucchini.

The original recipe was for two loaves of bread so I cut it in half to make one. It also called for a handful of candied ginger, but since I'm not a fan of the sweet heat, I left it out. Please feel free to include it in your loaf if that's what you fancy. I liked this bread because it was simple in flavor, not too sweet, and had a nice texture thanks to the shredded veg. Just like carrot cake or other zucchini breads, the carrots and zucchini add a healthful aspect and moisture without tasting like you're eating vegetables. It would be a nice addition to a bread basket, great with coffee or tea and a breakfast treat you don't have to feel guilty about. This would make great muffins too.

Carrot Zucchini Bread adapted from Baking With Lisa Printer Friendly Version
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
  • 1/4 cup minced candied ginger, optional
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup coarsely grated carrots
  • 1/2 cup coarsely grated zucchini

Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease an 8.5×4.5 inch loaf pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda. Whisk in the salt and candied ginger, if using.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until light and foamy. Add the canola oil, sugar, and vanilla, whisking hard until well combined. With a rubber spatula, stir in the carrots and zucchini.

Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir/fold until just blended. Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan.

Bake for about 1 hour, until the loaf is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then unmold onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

Makes 1 loaf.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

28 comments:

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

No you are not the only one with back logged recipes, I have a ton!

Thanks for sharing this one now. I have been on the lookout for new zucchini recipes. And I can't to see the other recipes you mentioned.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a lovely cake! It looks so moist and delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

I am so glad that you went to your archives today. I purchased a few zucchini and carrots from the Farmers' Market and had not used them up yet so I am going to make this bread tomorrow. I do like candied ginger so it will go in the bowl too. I think this will qualify as a somewhat healthy treat for my husbands tri group.

Coleens Recipes said...

I've been looking for a new Z bread recipe, thanks for sharing. Our zucchini season won't be for a couple months.

Tina said...

My mother was just asking me for a zucchini bread recipe. I've never made it before because I'm not a fan of zucchini. I'll share yours with her. Thank you for sharing! (and for reminding me that I have recipes that I haven't posted yet!)

Donna-FFW said...

I love treats you dont have to feel guilty about. And I am like you, butter on these tea breads is a must!

Keeley said...

I just grew my first zucchini ever and I have some aging carrots in my fridge... I even have some candied ginger from last Christmas. Guess what I'm making today?

Heather S-G said...

LOL, YES, I totally do have recipes that are that backlogged! This looks beautiful, I knew immediately by looking at those green and orange flecks what it was going to be...and now I must have a loaf. YUM!

Anonymous said...

So yummy looking! I love adding carrot to zucchini cake. Great recipe!

Hennifer said...

I have been drooling through your archives the last couple of days. I am very eager to hear of these recent recipes. I think I am going to be brave soon and try the mexican chocolate ice cream you posted a while back.

This looks SO very pretty! I do not care for ginger either but had cookies a few weeks ago with carrot and orange zest. I bet that or lemon would be fabulous in this bread.

KitchenTherapy said...

love bread, never had zucchni bread. must try something new :)

Healthy and Homemade said...

Zucchini bread is one of my absolute favorites! I love the addition of carrots to this.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It looks so colourful too Monica!!!

oneordinaryday said...

I love zucchini bread. Why have I never thought of adding carrots? Looks perfectly delicious!

Judy said...

Great time of the year for this post. Plenty of carrots, plenty of zucchini.

tamilyn said...

I'll have to bookmark this one. My zucchini plant looks like it is going to give plenty this summer!

Glad to read that you have hit that milestone-I've been praying for you!

Katie said...

Looks gorgeous and I love how you can still see the little flecks or orange and green from the veggies. Yum!

Foodiewife said...

Hey, Girlfriend! Yes, I have a few recipes banked for winter. Like you, I just get busy...and then I decide to wait a year, for when that particular recipe is more in season. I love these kinds of breads. My zucchini is just starting to be ready! By the way, I see you have a birthday coming up on Wednesday. I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday, early. During the week, I tend to get busy and I didn't want to forget. Love you, girl. Can't wait to meet your newest family member.

Connie the Cookie Monster said...

i love zucchini bread!!

Björek said...

hello! i tried to email you but it requires me to use Outlook, which i do not have, and i can't find your email address anywhere on your site! Would you please email me so i can get in touch with you? Much appreciated :) theblooger{at}shannonangel.com

Unknown said...

I have backlogged recipes too! This bread looks so tasty! And it's healthy, right? Because of all those vegetables in it. ;)

Lori said...

The Almond Jam Bars were DELICIOUS!!! You know you can bake for me any time as a Thank you ;)
I really loved the cookies and can't wait for the recipe. I only shared one of them. It was like a tropical party in my mouth.

Now I'm going to make this bread into muffins. Not now, but this weekend. Can't wait!

Unknown said...

This bread is gorgeous!! I love the vibrant colors! I would definitely add the candied ginger. Yum! I will definitely be trying this. Thanks for sharing.

And yes...I have many recipes in the "archives."

Virginia said...

I love the colorful-ness (is that a word) of this bread! Plus the addition of the veggies makes it all the more healthy. I've been looking at bread recipes for inspiration for recipe contests and this has sparked my creativity.
Cheers!
Virginia

Jeanna said...

My CSA box is finally arriving at it was stuffed with zucchini and carrots. I made this recipe this morning (I doubled it and left out the candied ginger) I LOVE it. It is so yummy. Have to make another big loaf to use up the rest of my zucchini. Thanks for the recipe!

Emily said...

Made this over the weekend! Yumms!

sangeeta said...

I discovered your blog by a linky sent to me by a cute little girl :-) Loved many of your recipes and have been flipping through them since evening :-)All my favorite things are there on your blog dearie...I bake carrot and zucchini cakes separately, this one with specks of different colors looks just great.

And you baby is super cute. God bless. Merry christmas !!!

dandelion said...


Oooh I like the crumb and the pretty flecks of color. Going to try this for a veggie club sandwich.

Related Posts with Thumbnails