Friday, February 11, 2011

Roll It Up!

Oh my goodness, I can't believe it's been 10 days since my last post. It just seems like time has flown by and I don't know where it's gone. I strive to keep this blog up and post a couple new recipes a week, but I just don't have the energy to do so right now. I've been sick for almost 3 weeks now. It started to go away then it came back full force on Tuesday. I went to the doctor when I first got sick and they told me it was viral and it would go away on it's own, well it didn't so I'm dealing with that. Anyway, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I did manage to whip up this red velvet cake roll last week though. I saw a picture of red velvet cake at California Pizza Kitchen and started to crave it, but wanted to make it in a different way. I searched high and low for a good recipe for at least an hour before realizing that a good blogger friend of mine had it on her blog! Note to self: If you need a recipe, ask your friends first. It was pretty simple but I did make a couple minor changes. I wanted it to be super red without adding additional food coloring, so I just decreased the amount of cocoa in the recipe. Worked like a charm.

I would love to tell you that this cake was so good that I ate half ot it, but the truth is I only had one slice and a bite of another. My taste buds aren't working right and I couldn't really enjoy or taste it very well. It did taste like red velvet cake though, and that's a plus. Texture wise, I thought the cake was better on the second day, since the flavors were allowed to meld together. The cake seemed to relax a bit as well and wasn't as stiff as it was on day 1. I wrapped it well in plastic wrap, which helped it stay moist but it did get a little sticky. A dusting of powdered sugar helps keep all that in check. Just be sure not to wear white while making or eating this :-) And if I don't blog before then, I wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day!

Red Velvet Cake Roll adapted from Imperial Sugar via One Ordinary Day

Printer friendly Version Cake:
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
  • 2 Tbsp. buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 oz. red food coloring
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup cake flour, sifted

Filling:

  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

  • Additional Powdered Sugar, to dust cake

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat jellyroll pan (cookie sheet with sides) with cooking spray. Line with waxed paper. Coat with cooking spray.

Beat the eggs for five minutes. Slowly add granulated sugar and oil. Beat well. Add buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring.

Sift together dry ingredients. Add slowly to liquid ingredients. Beat two minutes, until well combined.

Pour batter into pan. Bake on middle rack for twelve to fifteen minutes, until the cake springs back when touched in center.

Sprinkle a cloth dishtowel with powdered sugar. Immediately turn cake out onto towel. Peel off waxed paper. Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Place seam side down on rack to cool for thirty minutes.

Combine filling ingredients. Beat well. Gently unroll cooled cake. Spread filling over cake. Trim any rough edges. Re-roll the cake without the towel. Place seam side down, on cookie sheet. Dust with powdered sugar. Refrigerate.

When ready to serve, slice cake one inch thick. Serves eight.

37 comments:

Katie said...

So sorry to hear you haven't been well. I hope you are now recovering speedily.

I love the red velvet cake roll - genius idea! I love how you can see the vibrant red and white swirl in each slice, better than a cupcake where most of the cake colour is hidden. Looks stunning.

Take care, eat lots of soup!

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

I am sorry to hear that you have not been well. It is horrible that it has been going on for three weeks. I love the look of your Red Velvet Cake Roll. It is a beautiful color.

Debbie said...

Beautiful cake Monica! I hope you are feeling better soon, especially so you can have a nice Valentines Day!

oneordinaryday said...

No fair! I know my photo lacks any wow factor, but next to these stunners, it looks positively sad. :)
Seriously, Monica, these pics are gorgeous!

Sending you lots of love. Feel better soon!

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

So sorry you've not been feeling well. But your beautiful cake roll looks amazing. And perfect for Valentine's

Alil Country Sugar said...

This is gorgeous! When I think of Valentin's Day I think of red velvet cake. I am leaning toward red velvet cupcakes for my celebration.
I hope you feel better soon.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well Monica, you will need to make this again, and I am sure you will, to savour when you're better. It does look perfect for Valentine's Day!!

Cassie said...

What a fun, festive, and delicious-looking treat for Valentine's Day.

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well! I hope you're feeling 100% soon. :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

Monica, SO sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well!! Feel better soon!

P.S. I'll take a slice or 3, please!

Rachel(rachescakes) said...

That looks awesome! Feel better sweetie.

Sherry G said...

Your cake is beautiful! I made a lemon roulade once, and I agree the second day is better.

I really hope your feel better. There's nothing worse than not being able to taste your beautiful creations.

Unknown said...

I hope you get well soon!

My sister would die over this cake! Red Velvet is her favorite!

Abby said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous cake. I'm so intimidated by rolls! Hope you're feeling 100% soon.

katie shrum said...

missed you!!! this cake looks beautiful...you have me inspired to make my first red velvet cake!

cybil said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you as well!

Unknown said...

This looks like the most delicious piece of Heaven I've ever seen! Hope you get feeling better soon Monica!

Girl Schmuck said...

I love to cook. I hate to bake. So I Love to read what your making. I will be praying that your get to feeling better. I actually am diabetic and try to stay away from all this stuff that you make, but you really make that hard. Its just a beautiful blog and wonderful recipes. Thanks for posting it all.

Angie Henley said...

Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog, and have nominated you for the "Stylish Blogger Award". Come check it out on my blog post, and Congratulations!

http://southernmom23.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-me-award.html

Unknown said...

Awww, i'm sorry to read(?) to are still stick, which is a double sucks because you can't taste anything which means you can't taste chocolate for Valentine's Day :( Well I hope you get better soon and have a nice Valentine's Day <3

Also, the cake roll up looks really yummy! :)

Foodiewife said...

You're apologizing for not blogging much, just like I do. Your fans will stick around. You've been in my thoughts, and I'm praying you'll feel better really soon... with a great recovery. ;)
Red velvet cake always makes me think of you. How clever of you to make a roll! I wish I liked red velvet cake and cream cheese icing... I'm more fond of those Italian meringue cupcakes we shared. Now that's living!

Emily said...

Get Well Quick!

and this is a lovely take on Red Velvet!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

Hope you get to feeling better. Love this take on red velvet cake... red velvet cake roll... genius!

tamilyn said...

oooooo, pretty!

Hope you are feeling better soon :)

This has been a tough winter-people sick in all parts of the country-with all the snow and ice and cold, you wouldn't think the germs could live!

Sophie said...

It is lovely, and I really like the photo layout with the hearts. Valentine's is one of my fav holidays, and red velvet is one of my fav treats. I hope you feel better soon! Sending love to you and your family this Valentine's :).

Mrs. P said...

This looks sooo yummy!

Unknown said...

looks great! and i've had that same nasty virus. it's miserable!!!

From the Kitchen said...

Monica: I hope you are feeling better. What a perfect recipe you've shared for Valentine's Day.

Loving wishes to you and your husband for Valentine's.

Best,
Bonnie

Unknown said...

You are a genius! This cake is beautiful. I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy it like you normally would. I'm sure your taste buds will figure things out...

Treehouse Chef said...

What a great idea! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Ok, this roll up is awesome! LOVE the look of this.

Allie said...

Your red velvet cake roll is absolutely stunning! I love how deep the red is and how is contrasts perfectly with the white cream cheese filling! A beautiful Valentine Treat!
I hope that you are being spoiled today by your Valentine and I hope you feel better soon.

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

This looks so amazing! I can't believe you managed to "whip this up" when you have been so sick! Feel better - rest and take care of yourself. AND of course - we will continue to support you!

Take care! Susan www.ugogrrl.com

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Seems like this years colds are extra sticky this year, hope you feel 100% soon! Cake roll looks yummy, thanks for the trick on powdered sugar, that will come in handy for my fave pumpkin roll.

Lorraine said...

Sorry to hear you have not been feeling well. Seems like everyone is sick lately.

Love your red velvet roll...great idea. I have been looking for a good red velvet recipe. I see you have a few too...thanks:)

Kerstin said...

Awesome twist on red velvet cake - love it! I hope you're feeling better now too.

Heather S-G said...

I have never made a cake roll. Huh. I don't know why. Sounds awesome...and for sure, when I do get around to making one, I want to make one as beautiful as this one...love red velvet!

Dana said...

Ohhh my!!! This looks so yummy!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails