Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lemon-Lime Cream Pie. Oh Yeah.

I have not been baking or cooking much lately. And I'm way behind on blog reading because Bloglines changed and didn't migrate all the blogs over like it should have- so please accept my apologies if I regularly comment but haven't lately. I'm now reading blogs differently but it's not as efficient. On top of that, things in my life have just been crazy but that doesn't mean that I don't have anything to share with you today. I hope you'll continue to support me as I get my act together. In the meantime here's a delicious lemon-lime pie that I made awhile back.

Citrus is in season now and I've been enjoying the most delicious oranges (we've already gone through 4 cases from Costco!) and Texas Ruby Red grapefruit that I've ever had, but still that's no substitute for tart and zesty lemons and limes. Fortunately they are available ripe and juicy year round so make this pie the next chance you get. The original recipe comes from Zoe Bakes and was topped with a brown sugar meringue. It was too beautiful to pass up but unfortunately her directions for baking the meringue failed and I ended up with a weepy mess that never set up. It went down the disposal along with my bitter tears.

But the filling and crust really was good despite the meringue being a flop. So I waited until I was no longer angry over pie and made it again...two weeks later. Though the second time around my pie was going no where near the oven! I filled the graham cracker crust with the thickened puckery filling and let it set and cool. Right before serving I garnished it with swirls of barely sweetened whipped cream and strands of zest. I have no idea why I never took a picture of the entire completed pie. Maybe it was because we cut into it and ate half of it before it ever crossed my mind. Yes, that good.

Lemon-Lime Cream Pie adapted from Zoe Bakes

For The Crust:

  • 11 whole graham crackers
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • pinch salt

For The Filling:

  • 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 5 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 3/4 cups cold water
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup lemon juice (and/or lime juice)
  • 1 tablespoon lime zest
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter

For The Topping:

  • 3/4 cup cold heavy cream
  • 2 Tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

For the Crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the graham crackers in a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs. Add the brown sugar and butter and pulse until all of the crumbs are coated with the butter and start to stick together.

Place the crumbs in a Pyrex pie plate. Spread them out evenly and press them tightly into the pie plate. Chill the crust for about 15 minutes and then bake for 15-18 minutes. It will not color, but will set the crust.

For the Filling: In a medium saucepan bring to a simmer the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water. Whisk constantly until the mixture starts to simmer and turn translucent. Add the egg yolks one at a time and whisk gently to incorporate well. Repeat with the rest of the egg yolks. Continue to whisk until the mixture is quite thick. If it seems to be getting lumpy, remove from heat and whisk gently until smooth. Slowly add the lemon juice and zest. Whisk gently. Turn off the heat and add the butter. Whisk gently until it is all melted and well incorporated.

Pour the warm filling into the prepared pie shell. Allow to cool on the countertop for an hour undisturbed, before transferring to the refrigerator, uncovered.

For the Topping: In a medium bowl, whip cream on medium high speed til soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar and vanilla and continue to beat til thick and stiff. Don't overbeat or you'll have butter. Store in the fridge until you're ready for it.

To Assemble: Once pie is completely chilled, top with swirls of lightly sweetened whipped cream around the border or cover the filling entirely with a blanket of whipped cream.

Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve or the filling will be too soft to cut.

38 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the second lemon/lime pie I've seen today. I guess it has something to do with the cold wheather and everyone wanting it to be spring or summer. The pie looks nice too and I'm jealous you got your graham cracker crust to work haha.

By the way, the cookie ontop of the layout makes me want to lick the computer screen. Just sayin' ;D

E. said...

I can understand why you would forget to take a picture. :) It does look terribly addicting. For some reason, the second to last picture reminds me of a doggy's face. The little plop of cream looks like a nosee.

cocoa and coconut said...

This looks so lush and smooth! I love the way you've garnished it.

Allie said...

The pie looks delicious! It is not a good thing to catch up on food blogs right before bed. My mouth is watering...
Thanks for taking the time to share this today :)

Leslie Harris said...

Anything with lemon is a winner in my book. I love lemon pie. This filling looks so creamy and sweet, I can almost taste it. :)

Kim said...

This looks so good. It's a perfect combination of lemon pie and key lime pies, both desserts I love!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Oh yeah is right! I love lemon and lime, so I have to try this one. Thanks.

Julie said...

Absolutely gorgeous pie! I'd love a piece for breakfast :)

pinon family said...

The pie looks amazing! I may need to make this today :)!

Keeley said...

Citrus fruits are my favorite! I'd like to try this pie... I'm a bit intimidated by it, but I'll give it a try.

Smitten Sugar said...

Yum! Looks great, we have gone through tons of lemons and oranges lately as well too! I am too behind on my blogging and hope to get back in gear soon! Pretty pie even if the meringue didnt turn out.
I made the lemon meringue pie you, Ingrid and Michelle made and loved it!!

Abby said...

I lost hundreds of readers when Bloglines changed. Hate that.

I've been craving citrus like crazy lately - so sick of winter weather! This pie looks like summer to me - I could use a piece right now!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

I love pie and limes. This sounds so good and fresh for our forever coming spring time :)

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Yum! What a fresh looking dessert. I actually just finished making 2 lemon meringue pies but I'll put this one on my 'hafta make' list for sure!

Patti said...

Yum! I have a lemon and a lime waiting to be used for something. They'll be so happy to be put to good use! :) This will be a perfect mid winter pick me up!

She said...

Yum! I'm so over winter, this reminds me of spring/summer! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah is right! This pie looks freaking amazing!

Foodiewife said...

Ooooooooooh. I could have fun with this has a deconstructed pie. I see that filling in a beautiful tall glass jar with the crust sprinkled as a topping and some whipped cream. Yes? No? I say that, so I would only eat one-- it looks that good!

From the Kitchen said...

This brings tears to my winter weary eyes. I would love a big piece right this minute! Perhaps when we dig our way out, I'll pick up some citrus and treat us. In the meantime, I shall dream of your dreamy pie.

Best,
Bonnie

Unknown said...

Yum! I think this is the perfect dessert to welcome in Spring...after the snow melts of course.

teresa said...

oh wow, that is just gorgeous! this looks so delicious, it makes me think of spring!

Debbie said...

That looks so delicious Monica! Love lemon pies...for whatever reason they are just so good with coffee. I HAVE to have coffee when I eat them! I made a lemon pie also last week. Very addicting!

Kerstin said...

Costco has the best produce - we've also go through cases of citrus! Such a lovely pie - I wish I had a big slice right now :)

Emily Joy said...

I enjoy your blog so much! Being in college and not having access to a kitchen your wonderful pictures remind me there is still a thing called baking and cooking that I love and miss so much! Thanks! :)

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

So GORGEOUS! Lemon and lime are such a treat in a refreshing dessert like this! Photos are perfect! Isn't that Canon Rebel the greatest little gadget?

Sophie said...

This looks flawless! So glad you made it again. I have missed out on your lovely creations so much. I decided it's way easier to stay posted by subscribing via email :P!

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

This looks so delicious. Lemon-lime is such a winning combination.

Priyanka said...

Loved it yummy :)

Monica H said...

Roz- Thank you. These pics were taken with my old Sony, not the Canon.

Sophie- Thank you. I miss keeping in touch as well. miss you.

Priyanka- So glad you liked it!

~Monica

Unknown said...

Who needs meringue anyway? Your garnish looks fantastic! Oh, and we made your pancake recipe this past weekend. Best pancakes we've ever had!

Sue said...

Oh, this one I would love. I love Key Lime Pie, and this would have that same tart flavor. I can almost taste it from here!

Heather S-G said...

My mouth is puckering just from the photos! It sounds and looks so awesome. I really wish we could grow citrus up here! =)

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

aaah this makes me want summer even more! i just found your blog and am glad i did! looooove the name :)

Rachel (rachescakes) said...

Looks awesome Monica!

I hope all is well.

Federkissen said...

I have to try this pie. I only have to find the german version of graham crackers :)

From the Kitchen said...

If there's anything better than a lemon it's a lime and vice versa!! Looks delicious and sunshiny and just what we need.

Hope all is going well.

Best,
Bonnie

Le palais gourmand said...

Cette tarte est un vrai régal pour les papilles, j'ai adoré.

Bonne journée :-)

Lindsey said...

Holy delicious-ness. I just found your blog through pinterest and I think I've gained 10lbs just looking at the photo bar on the left! You have a beautiful blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails