Friday, August 7, 2009

I'm a breast and buns girl

As soon as I saw this recipe from Lissaloo at One Step At A Time, I knew I had to make it. It was far too simple not to make it, it only has 2 ingredients and it's made in a crockpot! It takes quite a bit of time to cook so you need to plan ahead, but it can be done over night and ready for lunch the next day.

It was delicious and made a ton! I made this with 4 chicken breasts because I wanted leftovers and we ended up eating it for a couple days afterwards. I would allot 1/2 a breast per person per meal next time. This was clearly enough for 8 people to have sandwiches! And that's the beauty of this recipe, it can feed a lot or a little without much effort.

We ate ours on homemade hamburger buns and when I ran out we ate them on toasted sesame seed buns, with potato salad and pickles. Yum!

Pulled BBQ Chicken from Lissaloo

  • 4 frozen chicken breasts (boneless skinless)
  • 1- 18 oz. bottle bbq sauce (or more if desired)

Put chicken in crockpot and cover with bbq sauce. Cook on low for several hours. I cooked mine about 10 hours, Lissaloo lets hers cook for 12, overnight. Just cook until tender and shreddable otherwise it will be dry. 8 hours should be enough, but I let mine go longer because my low setting doesn't work very well.

Take chicken out of pot and let cool just a bit before shredding. With two forks pull chicken apart and return back to crockpot to simmer for a couple more hours.

Sandwich between two pieces of bread or a bun and enjoy!

NOTE: Your chicken will only be as good as your sauce so use your favorite BBQ sauce. If you like it peppery add pepper or sweet, add a little honey. But be cautious when adding salt the sauce is ually loaded with it.

Lissaloo uses 1-2 bottles of sauce per 5 breasts. Adjust accordingly.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A special thank you to Amber of When Amber Cooks, Roz of La Bella Vita and Amanda of Faith, Food and Family for this lovely award. I appreciate it so very much ladies.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Also don't forget to enter your photos in the Best Foodie Foto Contest this week at Laura's blog. You can enter pictures from this week starting with Sunday through Saturday. But you have to email her your entries. Go to her blog for more details!

25 comments:

Julie said...

Looks great and simple!

Coleens Recipes said...

I use this recipe quite often, it works equally as well with pork or beef. Congrats on your pretty award.

Denise said...

Congrats on your award and this recipe could not be easier and it looks delicious.

Donna-FFW said...

Oh I will have to try this asap, looks fantastic and so easy, love it.

Im a buns and pecs woman myself;)
Abs do it for me too.

Homemade hamburger buns.. do you ship?

Palidor said...

Mmm, nice variation on the classic pull pork sandwich.

Brandy L said...

Hmm, that looks so yummy! I'll have to make that one weekend. :D p.s. i love the title of the post.

cookies and cups said...

Love that crock pot!! I do this with pork, but chicken would be equally as good! Love your homemade buns!

A New England Girl said...

Yummm.... this looks heavenly! I am definitely going to have to give it a try. :)

Smitten Sugar said...

These look delicious! I love coming home to a meal already cooked and waiting in the crockpot.

♥peachkins♥ said...

Gosh,I could use one of these right now...

vanillasugarblog said...

I'm with you!
I would eat two of these with a good heaping of cole slaw on top. Mmmm. My toast is very boring right now.

Debbie said...

I love that recipe! Sounds tasty and very simpe. Great for summer. You make homemade buns? Wow.....talented (patient) lady!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Oh, yay, Monica! This is just the kind of recipes I'm looking for. Babygirl and one of the twins have practice everyday from 5:45 til 8:30. They come home starving and wanting dinner. This would be perfect! Thanks!

Congrats on your award!
~ingrid

Creative Classroom Core said...

I am bookmarking this one - it looks soooo good!

Amber said...

How have I NEVER heard of bbq pulled chicken??? I dunoo..it seems so natural..so delicious..so perfect but this is the first I've laid my eyes on it! yummm...hey..you know I am making your mom's tres leches cake this weekend for my puppy picking party..I'm too excited about it! I know I can't get a pic as pretty as yours but I will do my darndest to try! I will let you know how it goes! :-)

Nicole Feliciano said...

I hope you have time this weekend to post over at Momtrends. Here is the link for Friday Feasts:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/08/friday-feasts-poached-salmon.html

Heather S-G said...

Yum...delicious :D Congrats on your award...plus, you were one of the giveaway winners at my place...come on over and check it out :D

Lissaloo said...

I am so glad you enjoyed you tried it, it has become something I make for almost every bbq we are asked to, and now my recipe has one of your beautiful pictures! :)

Maria said...

My hubs will love this one, he is a breast and buns type of guy:) ha!

Maris said...

Wow, how easy! I bet you had a lot of interesting search terms from "breast and buns" hehe.

Foodiewife said...

Craig loves pulled pork, I have a time-consuming recipe where my I make my own BBQ sauce...but, seeing that I'm so busy at work, you have given me a brainstorm for this week. Genius! Hugs, Debby

Kim said...

Don't ya love that you can use frozen chicken breasts? That makes this recipe fabulous. I'm gonna try to remember and throw this in the crockpot before work tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Zsofi Anna said...

Great-looking, very-user friendly recipe. I'll have to try it.

Congrats on your award! WELL deserved, you.

Kerstin said...

What a great quick and easy recipe! My hubby loves anything with BBQ sauce and would gobble these right up!

Shauna said...

i tried this ----- easy and awesome! thanks so much!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails