Saturday, December 22, 2012

Last Minute Treats and Handmade Gifts


I am so cookied out! I keep thinking of other cookie recipes I want to make, but in reality, I really don't want to stand on my feet in the kitchen for hours on end, reaching into the hot oven. After baking 22 dozen cookies, I'm looking for an easy way out. And these cookie sandwiches are the golden ticket. 


I found these on my friend, Michelle's blog, One Ordinary Day and they could not be simpler. The hardest part was unwrapping all the shiny gold foil off the chocolate covered caramels, the rest was just easy peasy. You line up your crackers, top them with Rolos, bake for 3-5 minutes, then top with another Ritz and you're done. From start to finish, these took me about 10 minutes, so if you're in need of a quick sweet treat, these are for you. 



Rolo Stuffed Ritz Crackers adapted from One Ordinary Day

Printer Friendly Version 
  • Rolo Candies
  • Ritz Crackers

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Place Ritz crackers on a cookie sheet face side down, and top each one with a Rolo candy.

Bake for 3-5 minutes to soften (but not fully melt) the Rolos, Remove from the oven and immediately top  the Rolos with a second Ritz cracker. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container. 

NOTE: There are about 55 Rolos candies per bag. 


If you need a last minute gift for the grandparents, these salt dough ornaments are perfect. You only need three ingredients to make the dough, and acrylic paint and ribbon to embellish them. You can make them as fancy or as simple as you want, it's the handprint and the memory of spending time with your child that's important. 

Salt Dough Handprint Ornaments adapted from Once A Month Mom 

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 7 tbsp water
  • Round cookie cutter large enough to go around the handprint
  • 1 drinking straw
  • Craft paint
  • Ribbon
Preheat oven to 250°F. 

Mix together flour, salt, and water. Knead for 10 minutes til smooth and no longer sticky. Add a little flour at a time, if necessary.  

Roll out the dough to no more than 1/4-inch thick, then use the cookie cutter (or glass) to make rounds. Press a hand into dough. If you’re doing this with really little ones, you may have to go back and make deeper impressions of their hands with your fingers or a kitchen utensil–the deeper the impression, the better your ornaments will turn out. 

Use a straw to poke a hole in each ornament (this is where the ribbon will go later). Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until ornaments have completely dried out. 

Remove the tray from the oven, once they're cool enough to handle, place ornaments on a cooling rack and allow to cool before painting. Paint or decorate as you want. When the decorations have dried, thread ribbon through the hole. Hang on your tree. 

17 comments:

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Two wonderful ideas Monica!

Thanks so much! ( I love rolo's and anything chocolate! )

Unknown said...

A great rolo recipe...one rolo placed on a pretzel and place in the oven (I usually do this after I have turned the oven off from baking something else!)for about 3-5 minutes or until soft but not losing it's shape, remove from the oven and press a half of a pecan into the top...let cool and yummm!

Unknown said...

I feel like I haven't baked enough! I keep baking more and ore cookies, but there's no time to post about them :P I do like the look of these ritz cookie sandwiches and those ornaments are so adorable! :)

The Perkins Family said...

I made some of the Rolo Stuffed Ritz today, although I put a little different spin. I had the snowflake Ritz, so it made them a little more festive. I also did some with Nilla Wafers. YUM! Thanks for your wonderful recipes and beautiful photography!

Foodiewife said...

I collected so many cookie recipes, and have a huge box full of ingredients-- sparkles, sugars, chips...you name it. Um, I didn't make but three recipes this year. I just didn't have the time. Ah, best intentions. These are clever, and Craig loves Rolos. I'll have to give these a whirl for him.
Merry Christmas to you, Monica-- and Hayden and Mr. H. xoxoxo

Connie the Cookie Monster said...

cake!!

k sallander said...

These are so easy and good.Sometimes I dip them in white chocolate and holiday colored sprinkles.

Anonymous said...

These look amazing simple and yet so yummy! Thank you!

lexerdax said...

Thought I would let you know, this Rolo recipe and your images are circulating on Pinterest, linked to http://ssmith1979.tumblr.com/post/63008818843/preheat-350-rollo-stuffed-ritz-crackerssalty-side-down. :(

Shannon S. said...

Do you know how well these store? I'm wondering if they would be good made the night before.

deloom.com said...

Shut the front door! I never thought to do this!

I seriously would make these for others and then eat them all before they ever left the house. lol

When I make them, I think I'll dip them in chocolate to keep a bit longer. I would imaging the cracker starts to go after 24 hours.

Thank you for sharing!! <3

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said...

Hi, this is Desiree from The 36th Avenue. I saw your delicious treat on Pinterest and when I followed the link it took me to another site that is taking credit for your recipe. I just wanted to let you know… I hate when people do that :( Here is the link to their post: http://greatfoodpins.com/?p=2224
Anyways, thank you so much for sharing !

Anonymous said...

Has anyone tried this with mini-peanut butter cups?

Anonymous said...

I took a batch of these Rolo Crackers to a family reunion yesterday. The side dish I also took needed a lot of ingredients and preparation, so I wanted a quick and easy treat recipe to balance out time issues. They were a huge hit and I believe, the only empty platter left on the table.

Unknown said...

I love love love this idea! Salty and sweet combos are my all time favorite! I'm doing a round up over on my blog, and I will for sure be featuring and linking back to you! Great idea!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Your Rolo Stuffed Ritz are amazing. Thanks for an awesome recipe!!

Cassie said...

Shared with my readers and pointed them here for directions. Thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails