Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pumpkins, Pumpkins, Pumpkins

Just a quickie post for today. I am one busy momma and it's already taken me 3 hours to edit and upload photos for this recipe! These days it seems everything takes me twice as long to complete, with the exception of bathing and getting ready- because I've gotten quite speedy at that. I do have some recipes to share with you all, it will just take me a little longer to blog about them. I hope you will all bear with me.

There are a few recipes I make that I wish I could force feed to people. You know the ones that are so good but they were blogged about years ago or didn't have the greatest photos to accompany them, that they got overlooked? Well that is this cake. This is my go-to pumpkin cake. It's homey and will never win a prize for beauty queen, but it's moist and flavorful and gets better day by day. A dusting of powdered sugar would be fine, but it's the icing and chopped nuts that send it over the top. All you need is a big bowl and a whisk and you can whip this baby up in no time. I urge you to give this one a try!

Last Sunday we went to the pumpkin patch. It's something I've looked forward to doing with my son for years. We enjoyed it though Baby H wasn't quite so impressed. We waited til the last minute and most of the pumpkins were already picked over but we found an orange globe that Hayden approved of. Here's my mini pumpkin!

Cinderella Cake Previously seen Here

Printer Friendly Version
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cups vegetable oil
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1-15 oz. can pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat sugar and eggs til well blended and light in color. Add oil, continuing to beat. Combine dry ingredients to egg mixture. Add pumpkin and mix well. Pour into greased 9-inch bundt pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. Let stand in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto baking rack or platter and allow to cool completely. Frost with Coachman's Icing.

Coachman's Icing

  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)

In a medium bowl, blend softened cream cheese and butter til smooth and creamy. Add vanilla. Then add powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved. Frost and top with chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) before icing sets.

36 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

That is the sweetest little pumpkin I've ever seen!! Your cake looks scrumptious too, perfect for the upcoming holidays.

Healthy and Homemade said...

That cake looks incredibly moist, yum! You have the sweetest little pumpkin <3

Debbie said...

My favorite pumpkin in your picture is the one that's sound asleep. Oh so cute!!! Hey, the cake looks great too!

Kim said...

This cake really looks lovely! I shall try it! And I think it's quite a beautiful cake too!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

OH MY GOSH THIS CAKE.

Also, I loved your PJ photo at Foodbuzz ;) We missed you!!

And finally, OH MY GOSH THIS CAKE.

From the Kitchen said...

I wish I could find a "pumpkin" like that! H. is either growing fast or those are pretty small pumpkins! He's adorable! Oh, and the cake looks delicious too.

Best,
Bonnie

Cassie said...

This cake looks AMAZING. Gorgeous and, I'm sure, quite delicious! Hayden is the MOST PRECIOUS BABY I'VE EVER SEEN OMG.

Julie said...

I love that it's called "cinderella cake"...too cute :) Looks like Hayden is a great pumpkin picker!

Laura P said...

I have this recipe--it's in the Lone Star to Five Star cookbook and it is WONDERFUL! One of my fav's, but that mini pumpkin you have is even better. What a big boy he's getting to be and so handsome!

Unknown said...

Oh this cake was SOOO good!!! Hayden looks stinking cute!

Abby said...

Glad I'm not the only one! It gets easier as they get older. (Until you're blessed with another one. Then all heck breaks loose. At least for me.) Your pumpkin is adorable!

I love cakes like that! I think it looks wonderful.

Keeley said...

Awwwww! I love the new family photo in the sidebar and the cute little snoozin' Hayden at the pumpkin patch!

Unknown said...

I just noticed that you changed your photo and it now includes Hayden; it's such a cute picture. And this cake looks amazing, another pumpkin recipe I must bookmark.

oneordinaryday said...

Love Hayden's picture! For Sam and Claudia's first Halloweens, we bought big old pumpkins, carved them out, and put the kids into them for pictures. They were so cute!!!

Laura @Supergluemom @MOMables said...

OMG. I nearly licked the computer screen!!! Just pinned it. looks AMAZING !! Thank you!

Katie said...

Oh wow that looks good. Love how golden orange ti is. Hayden looks so cute snoozing against the pumpkins.

Foodiewife said...

Aw, look at that mini pumpkin! Sweet. Monica, I kid you not... I had a recipe like this years ago and I've lost it. I've been searching, in vain, until now. I remember the cake had vegetable oil in it and it was super moist. I love you even more. Yay! I get to make it this weekend and drink it with coffee, and I will enjoy every bite.

Jean said...

Love the "little cake" on your header picture! sweeeet!

L.C. said...

The cake looks delicious! I think I'm going to try baking it for Thanksgiving. Hayden is becoming such a big boy! I really like the new photo on the sidebar with the three of you. Happy daddy, mommy and Hayden!

Deborah said...

OMG you're killing me here with these pics of your baby. The pic in the pumpkin patch is priceless. Of course your blog header is beyond cute. I am so glad you are starting your family traditions right away. Think of all the giggles when he gets older and you all look back at these photos. I wish you and your family a happy and blessed holiday season enjoy every second. I can hardly wait to watch your precious boy grow thru your wonderful pictures.

Lenia said...

What a beautiful and delicious cake!Congrats on the great pictures,dear!

Nisrine said...

This is one gorgeous pumpkin cake. I love it.

Kerstin said...

Such a cute pumpkin patch pic! And lovely cake, I wish I had a slice right now!

Anonymous said...

I simply love your blog ! Glad I found it by accident (: Lots of love from Malaysia <3

garlutti said...

Hello .... I love to learn different recipes from around the world ... so I sign up to follow .. I invite you to share mine and my blog .. greetings from Vigo SPAIN Marimi

Mini Baker said...

love the pumpkin patch pic! I'm so happy for you ... you're baby is so precious :)
Lots of love!!
(of course the cake looks great too- when do they not?!)
-mini b.

Avril said...

Lately all I do is bake with pumpkin! I just love it! Everytime I go to the store I buy another can (or two) of pumpkin puree...don't want to run out! Your Cinderella Cake is lovely looking and will be the next pumpkin goodie I bake. :-)

Pumpkin Lover,
~avril :-)

p.s. I adore you new blog header! ADORE it!

Maria_NJ said...

no you didn't!!! Oh my gosh Monica that header picture is so stinkin cute...I am so happy for you, I have been a lurker for so long and finally had to say something when I saw that picture...God Bless Him!!!
Your cakes are amazing...and so is he...

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

Your header picture is absolutely adorable! The perfect baby picture for a Momma who loves to bake! This cake sounds perfect for fall!

Marilee said...

I made this Mon. Night for quilt guild. Best pumpkin cake ever. I used heaping teaspoonfuls of cinnamon and a dash of pumpkin pie spice, otherwise exactly like yours. Now I have the best pumpkin bread, pie and cake recipes. Thank you.

Dianne Taylor said...

This is my new favorite pumpkin recipe! The cake moist and bakes to perfection and the frosting is to die for ;). I added a couple of dashes of pumpkin pie spice to the frosting. Thanks for the recipe and great pictures. This is truly a keeper and I pinned it on Pinterest.

Stephanie said...

Hi, just wanted to say that I think you forgot to include adding the vanilla in the directions. I caught it at the last minute but you might want to edit the post.

Hope said...

I made this last night and it turned out perfectly! Thank you for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Im curious, could you substitute sweet potatoes for the pumpkin? I love this recipe, love pumpkin as well but I have sweet potatoes that I need to do something with.

Anonymous said...

I'm baking this cake again today for the third time. Delicious! Perfect texture, moist and everyone that I have served it to loves it! Thank you :)

Leanna said...

Just made this pumpking bundt cake, it is moist and delicious. I don't like too sweet cakes and just used half the sugar, it came out great. Next time I will add walnuts in the batter and even dates would be great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails