Sunday, November 13, 2011

Apple Or Cherry Pie? How 'Bout Both!

This is one easy peasy dessert. It literally comes together in minutes and bakes up in about half an hour. Pie in half an hour-that's awesome!

This recipe comes from a Pampered Chef cookbook titled, All The Best. My friend Maranda is now a Pampered Chef consultant and I snagged this recipe from her while at one of her cooking shows. It really is simple to throw together since all you basically do is layer ingredients then toss it in the oven. The hardest part is peeling and slicing apples but that really isn't difficult.

I liked this tart because it combines apple pie that my husband likes and cherry pie that I like. The two fruits come together and are topped with cinnamony crumbs- it's like three desserts in one! It really would have been great served with ice cream but I didn't have any. The only down side to this dessert is that the crust got soggy on the second day. So if you make it (and I highly recommend that you do) make sure you have enough mouths to feed and eat it while it's fresh!

Cherry Apple Crumb Tart adapted from Pampered Chef

Printer Friendly Version
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 2 large Granny Smith apples
  • 3/4 cup canned cherry pie filling (about 1/2 of a 21 oz. can)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Let pie crust stand at room temperature 15 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add butter and blend thoroughly using a pastry blender or two forks. Mixture will come together and form crumbs when squeezed in your hand. Set aside.

Roll out pie crust into a 13-inch circle and place on a baking stone or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Peel, core and cut apples into thin slices. Layer apples evenly over crust leaving a 1-inch border of crust.

Spread 3/4 cup cherry pie filling over the apples. Sprinkle flour mixture over apples and pie filling. Fold the outer edge of the pie crust up over the fruit to form a rim.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Serve warm.

I have a couple more Thanksgiving dessert recipes to share with you and I'm on a mission to get them blogged before Turkey day, so I'll see you back here in a few!

15 comments:

Kim Lehnhoff said...

The pie/tart looks great, but the baby looks good enough to eat!

He has elbow dimples already, what a chubby cherub you have there!

IrinaPi said...

what a beautiful looking pie, I am writing down the recipe! I love cherries.

Heather @ girlichef.com said...

Sounds awesome to me! I love cherry and apples pies/tarts, so I definitely wouldn't complain. What a sweet picture!! And your new header with Hayden is PERFECTION!

Yadira said...

This definitely looks yummy! If my diet allowed it I'd be making it right now. Your boy looks super cute in the banner!

Sherry said...

I agree with Kim! The pie looks delish but that sweet baby!!! He is adorable! Being a grandma I want to just give him a kiss and pinch those sweet cheeks! I'm so happy for yall!

Unknown said...

I am not a Cherry fan, but this looks so yummy!!


The picture of your husband and the baby is so cute, your son is so precious!! So happy for you two!!! Love the banner, so so adorable!!


Carsedra of:

http://sweets4yourtooth.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I think I'll have to show this to my 15 yo daughter. She loves to make pies and loves cherries, so she'll probably love making this one.

And while I'm here, your baby boy is absolutely beautiful! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful pie/tart my darling! Every time I see a picture of that baby I want to hold him really bad!!!

oneordinaryday said...

Never thought about combining them both into one dessert, but I bet they compliment each other nicely!

Loving that new header. Sending that babe a smooch.

Julie said...

You know I love quick and easy :) This sounds delicious. Did I mention the cuteness of your new header?

Aarthi said...

YUMMO..This looks awesome..You have made perfectly dear..

my blog
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Keeley said...

The new header is perfect!!!

Carmen said...

Yum! Your apple layer is so neat and pretty. Love the new blog banner, too!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Forget the yummy tart - look at your adorable new header! Sooooooo cute!

:)
ButterYum

Ellen said...

Oh my gosh, I found you! Now I'm going to gain all the weight I've recently lost! Oh well, someone has to eat it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails