Sunday, October 9, 2011

Holy Sheet!

Holy sheet! This cake was good! I got the recipe from my chocoholic friend, Memoria, from Mangia da Sola. I know she'd be happy that I made this cake but I'm pretty sure she's cringing at all those glorious pecans nestled in that delectable icing. While she loves chocolate, she hates nuts. Memoria stop cringing...I can see you! haha!

Mr. H is a Texas sheet cake lover. I've made it countless times for him, for his birthday and just because. I usually make the Duncan Hines version, because that's his favorite, but I've also made PW's version. I like them all but this one was different in that the cake part of the recipe calls for chocolate syrup and the frosting contains chocolate chips, not cocoa. In my opinion, it yielded a richer, sweeter , fudgey cake with a gooey frosting that my MIL kept raving about. Memoria claims she had a "food orgasm" when she ate this, and I'm pretty sure my mother in law did as well. She's already requested that I make this again and we're not even done eating this one!

If you're a Texas sheet cake lover or if you've never tried it before, this is a great recipe to start off with. I always like to add a little ground cinnamon to the frosting, but of course that's optional, as are the chopped pecans. You can add the nuts to the frosting or sprinkle them on top like I did. Doing it this way kind of reminded me of the Little Debbie brownies I used to eat as a kid. Either way you make this cake, it is sure to please. Just be sure to have a tall ice cold glass of milk nearby to accompany it. Enjoy!

Chocolate Sybil Cake from Paula Deen via Mangio da Sola

Cake:

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate syrup

Frosting:

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13x9x2 inch pan.

For the cake: Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in another bowl. Add to creamed mixture, continuing to beat. Add vanilla and chocolate syrup to batter and mix well.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Just before cake is done, prepare frosting.

For the frosting: Put butter, chocolate chips, sugar and evaporated milk and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stirring ingredients together, boil for 2 to 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and nuts. Pour over warm cake.

26 comments:

Beachwalk83 said...

Last year, right about this time, I made the apple cake with brown sugar glaze when friends were coming to visit. It was wonderful and you were so kind to comment (I had the orange counter tops:)). So they are coming to visit again next weekend, and I am definitely going to go with the chocolate cake! But as yummy as your recipes are, I'm not ready to check your blog and NOT see a picture of your little baby boy! Happy Columbus Day!

Memória said...

I am not a chocoholic, lady! LOL! but yes, I was definitely cringing and making evil eyes at those pecans. In fact, my nose was wrinkled up as I was reading that line "Memoria stop cringing...I can see you! haha!" LOL! You know me too well, chica.

Aside from the pecans, this cake looks really good. I may have to make it again very soon. I had forgotten all about it.

AllThingsYummy said...

Oh yum, love chocolate.

the wild magnolia said...

Looks like it will taste Halloweenie, with the cinnamon, nuts, and chocolates....

Thanks for sharing.

Avril said...

Chocolate....it's such food for the soul. I love discovering a really good chocolate recipe!

I was looking forward to seeing another pic of sweet baby boy.... :-(

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Yowza - you got me sold! Thanks for sharing, and highlighting a new blog to visit.

:)
ButterYum

Kara said...

Wowza! This looks awesome!! I will be trying this for sure at our Halloween party! Thank you for the post!! :D
Kara :)

Unknown said...

I laughed really hard when I read the title of this post. LOL!! That cake looks awesome! I've only ever made PW's sheet cake...I'll definitely have to try this one! Thanks for sharing!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes said...

This looks so good! And love the title :)

cybil said...

Looks and sounds so delicious!!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Has Mr. H been swayed to love this one over his beloved Texas sheet cake. I could easily be swayed myself.

From the Kitchen said...

I do a version of this from a recipe my friend gave me when we lived in Texas. I want to try yours, especially the icing which is different. Also, my recipe for the cake has buttermilk--something I don't always have or use up.

Best,
Bonnie

Jean said...

If there is ever any doubt as to whether or not to add pecans....ADD!
Pecans make everything better. Love chocolate sheet cake!

vanillasugarblog said...

I'm a texas sheet person!
Yes please!
So glad you added nuts, and lots of them.

Unknown said...

I'm going to make this for company on Thursday! Love the title of your post too. :)

Lenia said...

My mouth is watering!!!I love it!
xxx

Nonna said...

Yowza, that looks like crunchy, chocolate heaven !!!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Looks fantastic!! I would love to try this with some golden flaxseed meal and coconut flour (I'm eating low carb/sugar from now on) and Stevia as well. I wonder how it could come out? Anyway, yums.

Rochelle said...

Oh my word. This looks absolutely delicious. I love pecans. This just made me hungry. Thanks for posting this. Going to be making this asap. Hopefully it comes out as good as yours. :) xx

Jan said...

This really looks good. I'm ready for a large piece.

Debbie said...

The cake looks delicious Monica. I've also made PW Texas Sheet cake and they are so delicious and easy to make. Thanks for posting this. It looks like a keeper. Hey, no pics of the cute little baby boy?

Maria said...

You can't go wrong with a rich dessert like this one!

Coleens Recipes said...

I don't know how I missed this recipe. I have a can of Hershey's syrup in the pantry and I've been looking for a way to use it (not t mention grandsons 11th birthday is coming up. Thank you!!

AbsoluteMommy said...

I'm cracking up at the name! Chocolate Sybil cake? Is that because it's CRAZY chocolate???
Love it!

Jazz said...

This looks SO good! Oh wow, I have just had a huge roast dinner and seeing this has made me starving again.

Your blog is amazing!

Jazz xo
http://cupcakesnsweets.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm making this now and the cake has gone for 30 min at 350 and is still very soupy? What could I have done wrong? Does it need to bake a bit longer?

Related Posts with Thumbnails