Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cake With A Crunch

I know I've been MIA lately, but I'm hoping this cake will more than make up for it. If you like cake, and coffee, and chocolate covered Heath toffee bits, then you'll love this cake. These are all some of my favorite baking flavors so this cake was delicious to me. It doesn't look like much, but it's packed full of flavor with an espresso laced cake, and a buttery toffee crumble on top. It's very simple and ready in less than an hour, from start to finish.

I do have some good news in that I'm finally feeling better. I still have a little congestion and I managed to get my brother and husband sick in the process but we are finally back in the game and doing much better. Although my brother does not admit to being sick. He says sickness is all a state of mind, yet he was asking for cough syrup and his throat was hurting and he was congested like the rest of us. Yeah okay, if you say so. I'm mentioning my brother because his birthday was Thursday when I made this cake. He was staying with us for about a week and left right before I made this so he didn't get to taste it. But I did think of him while I ate it :-). Happy 30th birthday Joe!

This cake had a great contrast of textures. The cake base was moist and tender but the crumbly streusel topping was crunchy and sweet. I really like coffee flavored things, but if you're not a fan, the instant espresso could easily be omitted and you'll be left with a vanilla batter that would still be delicious with the chocolate and toffee. Lauren Chattman (the author of this book) says this cake was developed because of a love for an ice cream with similar flavors. I don't know what ice cream flavor that would be, but I want some! To check out all the other Cake Slice Bakers, click the link.

Coffee Heath Bar Cake from Cake Keeper Cakes

For the Cake:
  • 1½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp instant espresso powder (optional, see note)
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup milk

For the Streusel:

  • 4 Heath bars (1.4 oz. each) chopped, or 1 cup prechopped Heath bits
  • 2 tbsp light brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp butter, softened

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch round springform pan.

For the Streusel: Combine the Heath toffee bits, brown sugar, flour and butter in a medium mixing bowl. Work the mixture with your fingers until it resembles large crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use.

For the Cake: Combine the flour, espresso powder, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.

Combine the butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.

With the mixer on low speed, add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla.With the mixer on low speed, add a third of the flour mixture and then half the milk, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Repeat, alternating the flour and milk, ending with the flour.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer with a spatula. Scatter the streusel onto the batter, distributing it evenly over the cake.

Bake the cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes (Mine was done in 50 minutes). Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Release the sides of the pan and use a large spatula to slide the cake from the pan bottom to onto a wire rack.

Cool completely, cut into wedges and serve. Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.

NOTE: If you don't enjoy the coffee flavoring, it can be omitted from the recipe.

45 comments:

cybil said...

wow looks very yummy!!!

Suzanne said...

HELLO!!! Can you drop one by! I'll be home all evening!! LOL! Looks amazing!

tamilyn said...

Ya knows I love me some Heath bars! That look fabulous. It almost look coffee-cake like with the texture. But I happen to eat cake for breakfast whenever there is some in the house, so maybe that is just me....

Unknown said...

Wow, yours looks beautiful. I do wish I had used Heath candy bars, I want to know what it tastes like, but I'll save it for another time.

Kim said...

Yum! This cake lloks amazing... I would so like to have a piece!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Any cake with a streusel topping has my attention. Heath Bars are not available here but we do have Skor bars which is the closest we get.Funnily enough we can but the toffee buts though.

Monica H said...

Val- Skor bars are almost identical. They would work perfectly in this cake!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Now you have me wanting a piece of that cake.It looks and sounds delicious.

Sara said...

YUM. I love heath bars. And I love cake. So this sounds pretty perfect! :)

Elle said...

Glad you are feelng better and too bad your brother missed this cake...it is gorgeous! Stay well :)

Holly said...

This cake looks absolutely luscious!!! My favorite flavors too!!

Anonymous said...

This cake looks heavenly! Great recipe.

Kelly-Jane said...

I wondered what ice cream flavour she meant too :) Your cake and pictures all look great.

Sophie said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Yeah, I'd be addicted to this! I just tried cookies with heath bits and couldn't get enough (and I'm a bigger cake than cookie fan!).

Girl Schmuck said...

Ok, I am wondering, if you can use double amount espresso with instant coffee? I don't have espresso. I have instant coffee. I have to ask because I am a lousy baker. I love to cook, and I love to write.. baking is easier for me out of a box. But you do inspire me to try.
And can you tell me what is the best sugar substitute for us diabetics? Have you got a favorite? I have tried splenda with ok results.

beauty be told said...

yours looks moist and delicious.. smart using the bag of heath

OvenDelights said...

I'm going to have to try this as soon as my oven gets fixed. I saw the baking Heath toffee bits at the grocery store and was wondering if they would work. I'm glad to see they work with the recipe, thank you for the tip!

From the Kitchen said...

O.K., you have redeemed yourself with this recipe and I forgive you. I'm also glad that you're feeling better!!

I love all of the tastes in this cake and, with a short trip to the grocery store, I'm going to make it for my (slim) dessert-loving husband. I might even have a piece (or more) myself.

Best,
Bonnie

Natalie said...

oh wow. i plan to make this asap!

oneordinaryday said...

Looks great. I love the depth of flavor coffee brings to chocolate, and with the toffee bits on top, I bet this is a keeper. Happy birthday to your brother! Too bad you had to enjoy the cake w/o him. :)

So happy you're on the mend, Monica!

Unknown said...

I am such an airheaded slacker! I haven't made mine yet. But yours makes me want to run in the kitchen and make it right now. I may have to make it tomorrow.

Patti said...

This looks soooo yummy! I have bought those Heath bits several times but somehow they never make it into any baked goods. ;)

Julie said...

Glad you're all feeling better! I'll take a GIANT piece of that cake :)

Monica H said...

Girl Schmuck-

I would start off using 1 1/2 times the amount I'd instant coffee and go from there. You can taste the batter abs see if it has enough coffee flavor, but I don't think you need to double the amount unless you want it extra coffee-y :-)

As far as the sugar substitute, I'm not so sure. I've used Splenda before but didn't like the texture it gave to the baked goods. I just stick with regular sugar, but I'm nit diabetic. You could try Truvia but I've never used it before so minor sure what the final result would be. If you try it, I hope you'll let me know how it works out.

~Monica

Anonymous said...

Coffee Heath Bar Crunch ice cream from Ben and Jerry's, it's soooo good!

Katie said...

Glad you are feeling better. The cake looks amazing and so tall! I'd love to taste an ice cream with these flavours. Yum!

Souffle Bombay (Colleen) said...

Looks great, love the addition of the toffee!

Abby said...

I found out with my recent cupcakes that many people in my life are fans of coffee-flavored desserts. Bookmarking this one today! Glad you're feeling better.

Nonna said...

Oh, how wonderful...my Hubs is a big Heath Bar fan ! I will omit the coffee and will love every yummy bite !!!

Foodiewife said...

I bought this book a year ago. I've never used it. I have all the ingredients, you wicked woman. Time for me to reopen the book and bake this.
xoxo... thinking of you and Mr. H.

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

Glad that you are feeling better. Your cake turned out so well. It looks like you took it out at the right time. I think I may have baked mine a little too long, and it was a bit dry.

Debbie said...

If you are going to post such a delicious looking picture of that cake then I insist you figure out how to pass me a slice through my computer screen!!! Love it Monica!!!

Martha said...

I've found you at "From A Writer's Kitchen" -- this cake looks wonderful! Great blog!

LFQG said...

At first I thought it was Shoo Fly Pie and then I realized it was even better than that! Can't wait to make this!

Tracy said...

GoodMorning,
It's all Bonnie's fault that I am here...she sent me from her blog but now that I'm here, I just need to stay. That cake looks so yummy and I need to try it out, as well as many of the other things you have. I'm the first to admit, I am NOT the cook in our house, my husband is, but I do bake. However, having said that, my husband and 11-year old son are runners and well, they don't eat many sweets so they've kinda put me out of business. Now when I feel like baking, I take it to work and let everyone else finish it; pretty smart thinking, yes?

Rita said...

What a beautiful creation; I am so anxious to make this in the future when my kids come to visit. Anything with that topping has to be good.
Rita

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Monica!
I came over form Bonnie's blog as she featured you today :) Your cake looks so delicious -- this is a recipe I will love to try!
warm wishes,
Pat

Allie said...

So glad that you are finally feeling better. This cake looks and sounds amazing! Btw, have I ever told you that every time I visit your blog, I get an immediate craving for chocolate chip cookies? I think it may have something to do with that delicious picture staring at me at me from the top of my screen ;)

Brownieville Girl said...

Your cake looks delicious Monica - I loved it too.

Hope all the family are much better now.

Rachel said...

Hello there!
I found you through From A Writer's Kitchen as well. :)
This cake looks amazing! It definitely combines some of my most favorite flavors. It kind of reminds me of the Coffee Toffee Twisted Frosty that Wendy's use to do.
I'm just dying to make this. :)

Kruger Life said...

This looks great! One of my favorite ice creams is a Cappuccino Heath Blizzard (from Dairy Queen, in Oregon). And Ben&Jerrys has a coffee heath ice cream!! It is the best combo of flavors! yum! :)

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Oh yes, Monica, this is (was) a great cake! I can devour Heath bars endlessly anyway! Hope you're doing well; haven't seen many posts lately. Congrats on 365 days of Natural Lighting! Wow, what a goal!

Kerstin said...

I just bought a bunch of heath bits to experiment with for the Pillsbury BakeOff - if I have any leftover, now I know what to do with them - looks great!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm not a coffee drinker but this really looks good.
~ingrid

Healthy and Homemade said...

Heath bars were a favorite of mine when I was a kid. This sounds amazing with a nice hot cup of coffee!

Related Posts with Thumbnails