Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Get Your Green On

The kind folks at Duncan Hines contacted me a couple weeks ago and asked if I'd like to try one of their recipes using their mixes. I, of course, said yes and a few days later a package arrived on my doorstep! I had the choice of two recipes and I chose to make their Leprechaun Key Lime Cake just in time for St. Patrick's Day.

This cake starts off with a Lemon Supreme Cake Mix, then you add a box of lemon pudding and key lime juice. I didn't have key limes, but I had a bag of Persian limes so that's what I used. This cake was so simple to put together-- you combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix then into the oven it goes. After the cake has baked and is still warm, it's soaked with a buttery lime glaze while it's still in the pan. That glaze penetrates the cake throughout and makes it's ultra moist and a little sticky. After it cooled I opted to glaze the top of the cake with a lime glaze that I came up with that tasted like a limeade. You don't have to glaze it a second time but that glaze was so good, I could drink it!

This cake is really equal parts lemon and lime flavor but it's not too tart and it's not too sweet. You could always use lemon juice in place of the limes if you prefer. It's light in texture and fluffy on the inside, while the outside develops a sugary crust on it from the glaze.

I really liked this cake and so did my neighbors. Even Mr. H, who isn't a huge fan of citrus, ate it and didn't complain :-) It's refreshing and easy enough to make anytime of year, not just on St. Patrick's Day. Would be great for Easter and you can call it Lemon Lime Cake if you prefer. Might also be good for breakfast....I'm just saying.

Lemon Lime Cake adapted from Duncan Hines

Cake:

Glaze:

  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup lime juice
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 10-inch Bundt or tube pan.

For cake, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup lime juice in large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until moistened. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.

Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool in pan 25 minutes. Remove cake from pan onto cooling rack then immediately return cake back to pan. Poke holes in top of warm cake with toothpick, wooden skewer or long-tined fork.

For glaze, combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons water and melted butter in medium bowl.

Pour slowly over top of warm cake and allow it run along the sides of the pan. Cool completely while still in pan.

Invert onto serving plate. Dust with additional powdered sugar or glaze (recipe below). Garnish with lime slices, if desired.

Lime Glaze by Monica H

  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • zest of 1 lime
  • juice of 1 lime

In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and zest. Squeeze lime juice into bowl a little at a time. Stir until there are no lumps and continue to add more lime juice until the glaze is thin enough to drizzle. Pour over cooled cake and allow to set.

Be sure to stop by Duncan Hines and check out their recipe index. You may find a new recipe to make for your family that starts off with a mix you already have in your pantry.

Thank you Duncan Hines and Happy St. Patty's Day to you all!

42 comments:

Memória said...

This cake looks so moist and delicious. I'm not a fan of cake mixes, but I would totally eat this up if you offered it to me haha.

I'll have to use that glaze you put together. YUM!

Carmen S. said...

That looks delicious and would be a GREAT breakfast :-D

Debbie said...

I am such a fan of cakes and this one looks delicious. Love using cake mixes and then just adding more fun ingredients to them!

Heidi said...

What a wonderful looking cake! I love cakes that are moist on the inside and have a sugary, crunchy crust on the outside. YUM YUM :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful cake for an afternoon tea party! The cake mix is great when you need a cake in a jiffy and I love the addition of lime.

♥peachkins♥ said...

It looks delicious,Monica..

cookies and cups said...

That looks so delicious! I love stuff like that and the glaze..thanks for the heads up ~ I'll have my straw ready ;)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Sound and looks delicious.I must give it a try,as my Hubby loves lemon.
Blessings,Ruth

Michel-lee said...

Good for you getting contacted by Duncan Hines. They are the best cake mix ever. I'm not much for lemon cake or pudding but you make it look good enough to eat :o)

Treehouse Chef said...

The presentation on this cake looks outstanding!

Michele said...

We grew up on a cake like that, only with lemon, and it was HANDS DOWN our favorite. I'm sure this would rank right up there!

oneordinaryday said...

I love the flavor of lime in anything, but I don't think I've ever put it into a cake. Duh! This looks moist and lovely. I adore that freshness from citrus. Great job with the yummy looking glaze too!

Keeley said...

Looks great (and easy)! I don't normally deal with box cakes, but I'll try this one. If you liked it, I know it's good. I trust you.

Julie Harward said...

Oh YUM...it looks like a good cake! I think I would prefer the glaze to be a bit thicker though...YUM! Come say hi :D

Kate said...

You are both an excellent chef, AND photographer! I can't wait to try this cake.
I might add green food coloring to the glaze just to make it extra green for St. Patrick's Day

Holly said...

Oooh Yum so springy sounding! Looks moist and delicious!!:)
The Peppered Pantry~

Sue said...

This really looks good...and easy. I love it when you start with a cake mix and make it taste homemade.

Leslie Harris said...

I wouldn't mind have a slice of this cake for breakfast or a late-night snack. :)

And I love the new background. Very cheery! :)

Erica said...

That cake looks really pretty! Never would have thought this came from a box :) Great job and really enjoy reading your recipes.

Robin said...

I love a good lime cake over a lemon cake any day. This looks so simple and very sophisticated!

Foodiewife said...

I prefer to not use cake mixes ONLY because I want the challenge of saying it's from scratch. That being said, there are times when cake mixes save my bacon every time. If I buy one,it's Duncan Hines. Duncan Hines was very smart to choose you, because Monica-- you could make a rice cake look delicious. As always, your cake is art, with a gorgeous color of limes. Me love citrus!

Kerstin said...

Your lime glaze really takes this over the top! It does look like the perfect to enjoy morning, noon, or night :)

Janet said...

Beautiful cake! I puckered up the whole time I read this post! :*

Cannot wait to try it, and of course, your glaze!

Rachel (rachescakes) said...

It looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

LOVE the pic with the cake and the limes....that's a homerun right there!

Unknown said...

yum!! and i love your new design too!

Lissaloo said...

Oh my Gosh! Yummy! I love how it's plated too! I want a piece please :)

tamilyn said...

It looks light and delish!

Love the new header photo :)

Sook said...

Mmmmmm I would love a piece of that!! That looks so good!

White Toast with Butter said...

Looks great! I'm a big fan of lemon and lime.

Kathleen said...

I love cakes that start with a mix. They always are the best!

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} said...

Hey thanks for the props on the apple muffins. Your bacon and eggs were a big hit on my site! Love all your food!

Brandy L said...

Thanks for sharing! This looks amazing. :D

Patti said...

Yum,yum! Adding this to the list of must bakes for the weekend. And.. I just have to say..when is cake NOT good for breakfast!;)
(btw, just found your blog a few weeks ago and it has become one of my faves to visit each day!)

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks wonderful! It also looks easy and I happen to love lime, so as far as I'm concerned you've just hit a home run. Love your blog. I'll be back often to see what's going on. Have a great day...Mary

Jeanette said...

Gosh I love lime and lemon so I know I will be making this soon!

'3ShMrGiaH said...

looks v.delicious, i hope to tray it

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Thank goodness that chocolate cake is gone!! :) Love the new look and pass me a slice of that cake....it's right up my alley!
~ingrid

Lori said...

Oh yeah- that looks so lovely and tastey.

I like your new header, very nice idea!

Unknown said...

I just realized that none of the comments I've been writing to you have been posting because there's been an error on my openID.

I do want to say that I love your blog and I always look forward to reading it. There's been some drama lately, which I've read and (unsuccessfully) commented on. Since those comments never went through I just wanted to reiterate that I think you and your blog are amazing. Thank you so much for doing what you do and sharing it with all of your loyal followers.

Oh, and this cake looks absolutely amazingly delicious and I'm excited to try it one day!

Thanks again darlin!

Yvonne said...

I just happened to come across your blog and I'm SOOOOO glad I did! You have some great recipes on here! I'm definetly going to try this Lemon Lime Cake! From one Texas girl to another...thank you!

Ms. Monica said...

Oh wow, great twist to this cake, adding Lime. My mother made this cake all the time when I was a kid and still does. I also used to make this for my late uncle. (He would give me 50 bucks to make this cake for him. He was just being nice.) It is the one cake that everyone ask her to make when she goes to a potluck. But we called it a Lemon Jello Cake. I like the lime twist and can see how that works. I know the lemon alone is good but lime with it sounds yummy. A former co-worker of mine also showed me how to do this same cake but with strawberries.

Related Posts with Thumbnails