Sunday, December 6, 2009

Confections Of A Closet Master Baker Review

This is the second review on my list but the first book. I found out about this book- Confections Of A Closet Master Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado- through Girlichef. I loved her review and I immediately wanted to get my hands on the book. And I did.

This book is a true story about a woman who once lived in Hollywood and worked with the pretty people. She was unhappy with her job and lifestyle and longed for more so she moved with the love of her life, Ray, to Vermont. To open her own bakery.

It's a story about life, her family, growing up in Germany, and her love of baking. It's a beautiful read and written with heart and soul. She speaks of her mother who passed away from cancer and how she inspired her through her own baking. She reflects upon her time in Germany spent with her grandmother and the breaks they would take every day at 3pm to enjoy coffee and cake.

This book was funny- she's funny!, it was sad, it was inspiring and did I mention there are recipes that coordinate with every chapter? Yup, there are! I found myself at work reading this book and not wanting to put it down. It made me hungry and I wanted to go home and bake instead of changing diapers. Do you blame me? I also found myself dreaming of my own bakery. With every page I turned I kept thinking of what I'd name it. And if I ever do open up my own bakery, I know what I'll name it and I have to thank Gesine for opening up my mind to that possibility. Don't ask, I'm not telling you :-)

For all you foodies and book lovers out there, I highly recommend this book to you. Add it to your Christmas lists or give it as a gift. It will not disappoint.

Be sure to stop by Gesine's blog and check out her video trailer and recipe demos for Golden Eggs and Starry Starry Night Cookies- two recipes from the book.

10 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Thanks for the heads up on that book, it does look like a book I would like. The recipe below it looks so good, think I'll make it today! Come say hi :D

Souffle Bombay said...

I am a big reader...and foodie...so it's only natural that I would enjoy this read as well! Thanks!

Heather S-G said...

I do remember you wanting this book! I'm glad you liked it...I figured with all the baking going on, you'd at least like it a little ;) Thanks for the shout-out! She is funny isn't she.

Treehouse Chef said...

I love reading cookbooks with a story behind them. This one does sound very interesting. I bet you have lots of cookbooks. I read them like novels. Thanks for sharing! Yes, you should open your own bakery!

Lissaloo said...

I am going to look for this book, it sounds like a really good one. Thanks for posting about it :)

Sue said...

Great review. I often read "fast read" mysteries that have recipes thrown it because the main character is a caterer or chef. I love it when a book has the recipes.

Sue

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hhmm, sounds like one I'd enjoy as well. I'm gonna keep it in mind when I do my weekly book store run.
~ingrid

Foodiewife said...

You are a star "bakeress", waiting to happen! I told you! There is your own bakery in your future! I'll have to see about this book. It sounds intriguing.

Debbie said...

Thanks for the book review Monica. I love reading and read mostly nonfiction so this fits in perfectly with what I enjoy!

tamilyn said...

I'll have to look into this. I enjoyed "The Julie/Julia Project" and "The sharper the knife, the less you cry", so I'm sure another cooking story will be great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails