Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Not From A Box

I've been making this beef stroganoff for a couple years now. It comes from my pink plaid Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that I got for Christmas one year. Except I've never made it as written. The recipe calls for sliced sirloin steak but I never buy sirloin steaks. In fact the only steak I ever buy is filet mignon (in bulk from Costco, thank you very much!) and I'm NOT using that in this recipe. So I use ground beef instead because it's something I always have on hand.

I'm embarassed to admit that I like the ground beef in this because it reminds me of Hamburger Helper. I know you're either all laughing or you're gasping, but you know exactly what I'm talking about. I am proud of myself because I haven't purchased or made Hamburger Helper since we were first married. However, I have to be honest and say that I think the Tuna Helper is pretty good :-)

This recipe is very simple and delicious. It's quick too. You just brown the meat, mushrooms, onions and garlic and the house smells so good! Then you add the sour cream mixture and serve it with buttered egg noodles. Comfort in a bowl and men like it. That's important. I've made this with chicken and it's good but I prefer the beef. And my brother who is pickier than Mr. Picky himself liked this meal and asked for seconds.

Beef Stroganoff adapted from BHG
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2 cups hot cooked noodles

In a small bowl stir together sour cream and flour. Stir in water, bouillon granules, and pepper; set aside.

In a large skillet cook the ground beef, mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot butter over medium-high heat. Break up the ground beef as you go until cooked through and no longer pink. Drain off excess fat.

Stir sour cream mixture into skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve over cooked egg noodles.

Makes 4 servings

25 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love beef stroganoff! your recipe is like my sissy's recipe..

oneordinaryday said...

Too funny! I made my version of ground beef stroganoff for dinner last night, Monica! I leave out the mushrooms in favor of some frozen peas and spinach, plus a bunch of cheese. : ) The kids gobble it up and I have to say I kinda like it too.

Smitten Sugar said...

Too funny about Hamburger Helper, I used to love that as a kid. This looks delicious though and I love thats its simple to throw together!

Sue said...

I love stroganoff...haven't made it in a while. We don't eat much beef, but this dish is worth it!

Sue

Ingrid_3Bs said...

When I was about 10 my mom went to NY for a week and my Dad made us Hamburger Helper for almost every meal while she was gone. I've never been fond of ground beef or any beef for that matter so I pretty much starved that week. While I'm still not crazy about beef I don't mind it once in awhile. I'm pretty certain the kids would love this and you know how much Babygirl loves her sour cream!
~ingrid

Foodiewife said...

Hey! I buy my filet mignon at Costco, too! I actually use some to make my version of beef stroganoff but add more mushrooms to beef! It's nice to see the savory side of Monica. I need to buy some more filet for Christmas dinner. I'll have to whip up a batch of stroganoff with the leftovers. Love this!

Lissaloo said...

Yum, I love beef stroganoff, I will have to get my fix from your great pictures because my family doesn't appreciate it :(

Debbie said...

Looks delicious Monica. Oneof my husbands favorites!

PattieJ said...

This looks delish!!I LOVE hamburger helper type recipes too!! I am going to try this with ground chicken and chicken bullion though. Hope it will still be good with these changes. Love your blog!! I'll be back!

Pattie

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

We love beef stroganoff at my house! In fact I am making it for dinner tonight! Good suggestion on using ground beef instead of steak! I must make it that way next time- cheaper and ground beef is something I always have on hand!

http://www.heatherskitchenconcoctions.com/

unconfidentialcook said...

Mmmm, haven't ever made this but I love it!!! And, you're right: comfort in a bowl.

Julie Harward said...

I have been making it for years too..love it, it's always so good! Come say hi :D

Treehouse Chef said...

This looks so delicious and hearty! Yum!

tamilyn said...

Looks like comfort on a plate!

Julie said...

I think it sounds better with ground beef anyway.

Maria said...

Everything tastes better when it is not from a box:)

vanillasugarblog said...

yes I would totally eat this! I need to try it this way for sure. Is it me or does this stuff always taste better the second day? I mean when it sits and melds? Mmmm

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Hi Monica, thanks for stopping by today...to answer your question about the poinsettia placemats, I used about 6 poinsettias per placemat, or the equivalant of one bush, the project wasn't necessarily about being thrifty, but about using what you have on hand...but I bet you can find flowers on sale though-have fun! :)
Michelle

Kerstin said...

Sounds like the perfect comfort food! I've actually never had Hamburger helper, but I still make and enjoy blue box mac and cheese every now and then :)

Amy B said...

Monica, I saw this recipe when you posted last week and couldn't wait to make it. I finally got the chance last night, and it was so good! My husband who grew up on Hamburger Helper LOVED it and said it was definitely way better than the box! I will definitely make this again - thanks for the yummy recipe!

cali chic said...

mmm...I love that this recipe doesn't have mushroom soup-so many do and I can't find it over here (Italy). Hope to try it out without the butter and with non-fat plain yogurt and see how it goes- I know take out all the good stuff, but I'm trying to make yummy things a bit lighter...has anyone else tried this??

Shelbyrlff said...

This recipe is really similar to my mom's! Ground sirloin is a good quick substitute, but doesn't compare to the real deal- steak in it is the BEST! Also, we regularly use light sour cream and I try to never use bouillon because of the high sodium content, and the mushrooms always go in as one of the last things so they don't toughen. I have to admit, it's so good I really do I lick the bowl.

shweetpotato said...

This looks delicious :) hubby would love this one and I think I have everything to make it too :) thanks so much, Carmen

jadine said...

Yummy! This is similar to the recipe we used when I was a kid. Makes my mouth water.

Marie said...

I tried this recipe and loved it because it did taste like Hamburger Helper.
Now I am looking for a "not from a box" cheeseburg macaroni recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails