Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Secret Love

I love carrot cake. It's a secret passion of mine. Really, it is. I love it! So when I came across this recipe, I had to make it. It does not taste like carrot cake, however- sorry to disappoint. But it is very good. It has all the same elements that are in a carrot cake minus the cream cheese frosting, but I can fix that. Add a dollop of frosting to the top and there you have a very sinful breakfast.

Regardless of what you put in or on this oatmeal, it is healthy and filling. Oatmeal is heart healthy, carrots are full of Vitamin A and Beta Carotene which are good for your eyes and skin (I think) And brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon are just plain good. Honestly do I have to twist your arm to try this? I just look at it and I start drooling!

Carrot Cake Oatmeal adapted from A Cup of Jo

  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup grated carrot (1 carrot)
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp chopped pecans, toasted
  • 1 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted

Combine the oats, milk, water, carrots, raisins, brown sugar and salt in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat and stir occasionally until mixture comes almost to a boil and most of the liquid is absorbed, which takes about 5-7 minutes.

Meanwhile, toast chopped pecans and coconut in a 350 degree oven until slightly golden. When oats are done, stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Pour oats into a bowl and add top with pecans and coconut.

NOTE: Don't get impatient and put the oven on broil because the coconut isn't browning fast enough because it'll burn faster than you know resulting in blackened, unrecognizable, inedible shards and you'll have to scrap it and start all over again. And, no, I do not speak from experience :-) Or you can skip this step all together and use untoasted nuts and coconut. But if you choose to toast them, your house will smell so good!

The original recipe calls for a drizzle of maple syrup over the top, but I decided to swirl in brown sugar, because I LOVE brown sugar and oatmeal. It's a match made in heaven. And I added in raisins because every carrot cake I've ever had, had raisins in it. But leave them out if you don't like them.

I saved a bite for you.

6 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

ok, find me weird but I have never ever heard of that!! odd I know.
but so glad you made this. I love oatmeal and get tired of how boring it can be, you know?
awesome recipe chicklet!

Donna-FFW said...

Monica- How did I not see this one? Love it. I am so on this to try!!

Anonymous said...

monica, i've been looking at your website about every other day for the past year or so.....you are AMAZING!!!!!! i just stumbled upon the carrot cake oatmeal and i'm about to fall off my chair!! what an ingenious idea...your pictures are incredible, your writing is so entertaining...keep up the GREAT work!!!
stephanie p

Lynn said...

The oatmeal sounds good and your photos are amazing:@)

Carrie said...

I saved this recipe FAR too long ago to just NOW be trying it, but I'm glad I did! I like adding a little veg to my morning meal, and this is a perfect way to do it! I decided to use a touch of maple syrup (instead of the brown sugar) only because I had just a little bit left in the bottle and wanted to use it up! I made a 3X batch so I have some for breakfast the next couple days too! Thanks!!

Carol said...

Jeez, this really are one of the easy vegetarian recipes that i have discovered lately.

Related Posts with Thumbnails