Monday, September 29, 2008

The Search For The Perfect Blueberry Muffin: Round 2

Earlier in the month, I set out to find the perfect blueberry muffin. This one comes pretty darn close. It was very good. But what else did I expect, it comes from the other Queen of Butter. No, I'm not talking about Paula Deen, I'm talking about Ina Garten- The Barefoot Contessa. I have one more blueberry recipe I want to try, before I declare the winner, so stay tuned!

Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel muffin recipe from Barefoot Contessa

  • 12 tbsp. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp.
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 2 1/2 c. flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1 recipe Cinnamon Stresuel (recipe below)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Place 24 paper liners in muffin pans, set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, with a hand held or stand up mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, sour cream, and milk.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. With the mixer on low speed (or by hand) add the flour mixture to the batter and beat until just mixed. Do not overmix or you'll have tough muffins. Gently fold in the blueberries with a spatula.

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each 3/4 of the way. Top muffins evenly with cinnamon streusel and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top and a cake tester comes out clean.

Cinnamon Streusel

  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 stick butter, cold and diced into pieces
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter, or by hand. When the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, you're done. Chunks of butter the size of peas is okay. Squeeze the mixture in your hands forming a fist. The mixture should keeps it's shape. Return back to the refrigerator, til you need it.

I also made a few mini muffins for my brother, because he likes the little ones. Check out the streusel hat on this one!

NOTE: The original recipe says this makes 16 muffins. Mine made 24, but I also topped them with streusel. If you want a higher domed muffin top, leave off the streusel and fill them to the very top.

This can also be made in 2 cake pans, but the baking time may vary. Bake til golden brown or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

I give this recipe 9 stars. These were very good. Much better tasting than the last batch of blueberry muffins I made, but not as pretty. I would definitely make these again. I might add another cup of blueberries next time and maybe a coarser crumb topping. Also this recipe with out the blueberries makes a great basic muffin. This would be awesome with a cinnamon swirl throughout the batter. I'll have to give it a try :-)

1 comment:

Christine Ho said...

wow, I love blueberry muffins!
Your lovely pics make me feel so hungry!

Related Posts with Thumbnails