Sunday, October 5, 2008

C is for Chewy Chunky Chocolate Cookies

I'm not quite sure where this recipe came from. I do know it was from a magazine many years ago, but I'm not sure when or from which one. When I saw the recipe I immediately thought of my husband (my then boyfriend) and wrote it down on a post-it note and stashed it away. Baking has been a passion of mine for several years, although I didn't do too much of it when Mr. H and I first started dating. I do it more now that I have the time and this recipe is one of his favorites. I really believe this is the recipe that got him hooked. I make it every holiday season for give-aways and whenever my husband needs a chocolate fix.

I made a batch for a friend who just had a beautiful daughter and a batch for my husband (of course). We ate half of them with milk and the others were made into sandwiches using coffee ice cream- another favorite. Heaven.
Double Chocolate Chewies
  • 3/4 c. butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 c. flour
  • 3/4 c. Hershey's cocoa
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1- 12 oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 c. chopped nuts
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs til well combined, then add flour, cocoa and baking powder until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Drop tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 1-2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

NOTE: You can make this by hand in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. I have doubled this recipe and it makes it extremely difficult to mix (by hand and in a stand mixer). If you want to make a double batch, just take the time to make it twice. Believe me, you'll thank me.

Makes about 2-3 dozen depending on size.

For Ice Cream Sandwiches: Lay out cookies on a plate or cookie sheet (one that'll fit in your freezer). Match up cookies by size and turn one cookie upside down and leave the other right side up. Using a small ice cream scoop or melon baller, scoop slightly softened ice cream of your choice and place on upside down cookie. Gently press it's cookie partner on top. Freeze immediately. When they're completely frozen, wrap in waxed paper and refreeze til you're ready to eat them. I'm off to get one now!

Are you drooling yet?

2 comments:

Hennifer said...

yummy... I've been inspired and figured baking is the kind of thing to make me forget that sunlight is fading.

I made chocolate cookies from Bake or Break this weekend and bread yesterday.

thanks for sharing. admittedly I can't drool over those ice cream sandwiches because I (a) despise coffee and (b) have really sensitive teeth :)

Bake-A-Holics Anonymous said...

why oh why havnt I seen your blog earlier ???? I love everything from your beautiful pictures to your recipes and funny personality xoxox Judy from los angeles

Related Posts with Thumbnails