Saturday, September 13, 2008

In Search Of The Perfect Blueberry Muffin

I love blueberries and I love muffins, so this is the perfect combination for me. I have had many a muffin in my day and you can tell by the size of my hips, but that's beside the point. I tend to like the tops better, so they need to be substantial- crowned nicely, and have a crunch- either from sugar, such as these, or a crumb topping. But they must be light, airy and tender on the inside. Don't worry there will be more blueberry muffin recipes on this blog, until I find the perfect one. Until then, happy eating :-) Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins adapted from Baking Bites
  • 1 3/4 c. all purpose flour + 1 tsp.
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1 c. fresh blueberries
  • coarse sugar, for topping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour(excluding 1 tsp.), baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl, beat together sugar, egg and melted butter. Add in 1/2 of the flour mixture and the sour cream and stir to combine. Stir in milk and remaining flour, just until no streaks of flour remain. Do not overmix, or you'll end up with a tough muffin.

Dust blueberries with remaining 1 tsp. flour. This will keep them suspended in the muffins, so they don't sink to the bottom. Stir in blueberries and divide into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle each (about 1/2-1 tsp. each) generously with sugar.

Bake for 16-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

NOTE: Makes 1 dozen muffins.

These were fairly easy to make and were light and tender. Like I said, I'm always in search of a good blueberry muffin and these were good. I think they could have browned a little more on top, but the sugar kept them from getting golden, and I didn't want to over bake them. They would be excellent with about 1/2 c. more blueberries and a streusel topping- yum!

I don't usually rate recipes with stars or number scales, but since I am in search of THE PERFECT MUFFIN, I will. On a scale from 1-10, I give this one a 7-1/2.

5 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

The amount of blueberry muffins, pies, cakes, scones, etc... I've eaten this past summer is uncountable. And you know, I still crave a blueberry muffin...how odd. Well, I love the blueberry.
Your muffins look perfect!

missing_one said...

I am going to make this tonight! (my hubby and son love muffins for breakfast. I can't bring myself to eat muffins yet *I have a fear of carbs)
Thanks so much for posting! I'll let you know how they turn out

missing_one said...

I just made these tonight (for breakfast tomorrow) and Dh couldn't wait and tried one and loved them!

I halved the recipe and it worked just fine. I also used frozen blueberries because that's what I had on hand and they did well (I didn't dust them) Made 6 good sized muffins!
thanks!

Ellan said...

These are the best I've ever made. I added pecans and grated lemon peel and left out the sugar on top. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Monica H said...

Ellan- Your addition of pecan and lemon sounds great. I bet orange zest would be good too! THanks for stopping by and letting me know how you liked them!

Monica

Related Posts with Thumbnails