Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Cake That Didn't Last

I made this oh-so-good, aromatic, dense, tender, sweet, but not too sweet, pretty petal cake for Rach's March Baking Challenge. Ingrid, I can not stress enough how good this cake is. Seriously. And it doesn't contain any chocolate, that's a bonus for you! But the cappuccino chips could easily be subbed with chocolate chips.

I wanted to make something that related to St. Patrick's Day, but I didn't want it to be so cliche. Not that there's anything wrong with green frosted, leprechaun topped cupcakes because they're fun, it's just not my baking style. I like to focus on flavors rather than decoration. So I turned to my favorite flavors, coffee, cake, and Irish cream. Who am I kidding? Irish Cream is so cliche. Whatev.

Back to the cake. It was consumed in one afternoon. I'm not even kidding. I only baked one layer cake for this because I assumed it would just be the two of us, but then my mom, brother, and cousin came over. We all had a slice. Some of us, two. I was sad when it was all gone. Make this, but don't share. Keep it your little secret :-)

Bailey's Cappuccino Chip Cake
loosely adapted from Baking Bites
For the Cake:
  • 2/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
  • 1/8 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup Guittard Cappuccino Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8-inch pan with non-stick spray and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, followed by vanilla extract. Mix in half of the flour mixture, followed by the Irish cream and milk. Then mix the cappuccino chips into the remaining flour mixture and mix til well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake for approximately 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack until completely cool. Turn out cooled cake onto a platter and pour glaze over cake.

For the Glaze:

  • 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. Bailey's Irish Cream
  • 1 tsp. milk or half-n-half, or more if needed
  • 1/4 cup Guittard Cappuccino Chips (optional)

Add all the ingredients in a small bowl except the cappuccino chips and mix until smooth and pourable. Add more milk a half teaspoon at a time if needed. Top the cake with Cappuccino chips before the glaze sets up.

The inspiration and full recipe for Bailey's Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes can be found here.

I can't wait to see what the theme for April is! You should join too!

23 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

This cake is gorgeous!! That side shot of the glaze coming down over the edge of the cake is awesome!!

Sophie said...

This looks awesome...I wonder where I could get ahold of cappuccion chips?

Zsofi Anna said...

Very pretty! I love the "petals." You can't go wrong with Bailey's. Who cares if it's a cliche?!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Monica that cake does look gorgeous & am printing out the recipe. Where's you get the chips? (I know you're not back yet but when you do let me know 'k?)

Also, you know your/my cinnamon toast? Had to run out to buy bread!! LOL, it was excellent & the kids loved it.
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

YUM!

I used Bailey's too. I don't drink, so I was shocked by the price. I ended up getting a minature bottle which turned out to be exactly the amount I needed.

Next month's theme is spring. Which, means you can pretty much do anything.

Thanks for participating!!!!

Michel-lee said...

I love Bailey's. I've never made anything with liquor before. I'm so tempted to make this cake. I can't wait.

Lissaloo said...

Yummy :) I am dying to give this a try! Irish cream cappuccino cake, how can that be wrong!

Maria said...

Love the cake. Sorry to hear about Mr. H's grandma. I hope you enjoy time with the family.

Ginger said...

That glaze looks incredible!! What can I say about the cake? Let me see?? CAN I HAVE A PIECE!!! Wonderful photos.

Donna-FFW said...

YOU so know this is right up my alley and I have got to find the chips.. This looks delicious and I so love Baileys.. yum yum, another winner!

unconfidentialcook said...

Guittard Cappucinno Chips--wow! I've never seen them and absolutely have to have them. This looks great! I got to you from Donna's blog today--please come visit, too.

Kerstin said...

I can see why it disappered so quickly! Looks delicious! I've never seen cappuccino chips before, I'll have to see if I can find them. Cute blog!

Juliana said...

I totally understand why the cake did not last! Sounds delicious...very tempting

Anonymous said...

WOW! this may actually top my mandatory morning cup of coffee. YUM!
I've never seen cappuccino chips before. where can you find them?

Treehouse Chef said...

This is my first visit to your blog and I love it! You have so many good recipes posted. Awesome photos!

Erin said...

That cake looks spectacular! Also, Cappuccino Baking Chips: Where have you been all my life?!

Shari said...

Ok, now I have to look for cappuccino chips! This cake sounds delicious. Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Shari said...

I meant to say in the earlier comment...sorry about your husband's grandmother...sorry.

The Food Librarian said...

Very cute cake - love the scalloped edges! Capp. chips - wow! What a find.

Vashti said...

Cappachino chips?!!! Its days like these that I wish I still lived in the States, I didnt even know that there were such things...food of the gods!

Sylvia said...

Drool! That looks so good! Will definitely need to find cappuccino chips in Canada!

Jennifer said...

I made 2 cakes and gave one to my friend Jen, who loves Baileys so much she named her cat Bailey! She loved it and did not share it with many people. My husband ate nearly the whole second cake himself!

Cheryl said...

Amazing! love those cappuccino chips!

Related Posts with Thumbnails