Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Irish Cream Cake and My Little Helper



I didn't intend to be away from the blog for this long, but it's been a couple weeks since I shared a recipe with you guys. Luckily, Hayden stepped in and did a guest post for me about his new favorite foods. Thanks Boo Bear! I'd love to say I was on vacation but it has just been a busy couple of weeks for us. Today, though, I was able to get back in the kitchen and bake up this delicious cake.



Usually Hayden sits in his swing, exersaucer or the high chair and plays when I'm in the kitchen but today he wanted to help. With him in one arm, I picked up the baking powder tin and he put his hands around it while I measured out the needed 1/4 teaspoon. When it came time to pull out the mixer he held on to the handle and when I poured out the booze, he immediately tried to put it into his mouth. That's my boy!



I've made this cake before and was wanting to make it again for St. Patrick's Day. The only thing I did differently this time was to omit the Guittard Cappuccino Chips. I have a surplus of them because I bought out the supply from World Market a couple years ago when they were discontinued, but I realize you all don't have them hiding out in your pantry so regular chocolate chips can be subbed. This cake is tender and moist, but slightly dense at the same time. And it's boozy from the addition of Bailey's Irish Cream in the cake and the glaze. It's been awhile since I've eaten it but it's just as good as I remember. If you're not into baking dozens of leprechaun topped green frosted cupcakes for the 17th, maybe you'll try this "adult" cake instead. And before you start feeling too guilty, it only has 5 tablespoons of butter in it and that includes the glaze. It's practically low fat!


Glazed Irish Cream Cake previously seen HERE
Printer Friendly Version 

For the Cake:
  • 2/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
  • 1/8 cup milk
For the Glaze:
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. Bailey's Irish Cream
  • 1 tsp. milk or half-n-half, or more if needed
  • Guittard Cappuccino Chips or chocolate chips for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8-inch pan with non-stick spray and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, followed by vanilla extract. Mix in half of the flour mixture, followed by the Irish cream and milk, then the remaining flour mixture and mix til well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake for approximately 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack until completely cool. Turn out cooled cake onto a platter and make the glaze.

To make the glaze, add all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth and pourable. Add more milk a half teaspoon at a time if needed. Garnish the cake with Cappuccino chips or chocolate chips before the glaze sets up, if desired.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

13 comments:

Katie said...

Aww Hayden obviously inherited your love of baking! Good to start them in the kitchen early :)

The cake looks delicious, love the idea of the boozy glaze.

Debbie said...

Such a cute baby and a pretty cake! Anything with Bailey's has to be good. I'm enjoying checking out all the St Patricks Day cakes and foods!

Keeley said...

I just love the Hayden updates :)

Rebecca said...

I was looking for a recipe for St. Patrick's Day and had to stop by ~ Oh my ~ I think we could be good friends! ;)
I love cake and Baileys too :)
Fun to see that you have a little helper in the kitchen too ~ mine have always helped and love to cook/bake.
Thank you for sharing your recipe, have a wonderful day ~ Rebecca

Abby said...

Such a cute little cake! Glad to see you're teaching Hayden early! :)

Unknown said...

Aww Hayden is a little baker in the making! :)

This looks like a terrific cake, but I will say again (I feel like I've said this a lot during the past month) I'm underage so I can't really buy the booze all of these delicious looking St. Patrick's Day treats call for :P But I really do love the look of this cake, especially the glaze. Mmmm

shellymc said...

I *just* made this cake today and it is FANTASTIC. Thanks so much for the recipe! http://instagr.am/p/IPZjQyLM4G/

We don't have cappuccino chips here (in Ireland, as it happens!) so I grated white chocolate over the glaze, then gave it a dusting of a powdered sugar/instant coffee mix. I was worried it would be overly sweet but it's perfect!

Happy Paddy's Day all :)

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hi Monica ~ Just wanted to let you know that I made this recipe yesterday into cupcakes and they are AMAZING!!! I linked to you in my post today - though I didn't have a super cute helper like you did! ;o)

Shelby said...

Your cake looks awesome, but your baby is absolutely adorable! I love that photo of him!

WinterSundays said...

PS. The cake went so fast. There were 5 of us. Next time, I will double or triple the recipe for a thicker cake or maybe do 2 layers?

Becca said...

thank you for this recipe, I made it this afternoon with Baileys crème caramel. Unfortunately, I didn't grease my tin well enough and it stuck to the tin - so I'm having to eat it all myself rather than take it into work... such a shame!

LittleA said...

I just started following your blog this month and this was the first recipe of yours that I made and it was delicious! I made it on saturday and was in a rush to leave so the cake was still hot when i put the frosting on, it melted right into the cake, but it was still a hit with my man and his friends! Thanks so much! Will definitely be making this again!

Unknown said...

mmmmmmmm.....drool drool drool!!! Love!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails