Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Birthday Cake For My Hubs!

Between February 17th and March 30th, there are 6 birthdays and an anniversary in my family to celebrate- that's about one a week...and a lot of dessert! For my brother's birthday, I made him peanut butter marbled brownies, for Jack, I made a cherry almond Bundt cake, my FIL got an icebox lemon pie, my sister got a strawberry celebration cake and my hubby got this Tiramisu layer cake. Whew! 5 birthdays down, one more to go!

This cake was the winning cake for The Cake Slice Bakers for the month of January. I was way behind on making it, but it finally got done. I really liked it and it was impressive looking (in my opinion) but it was expensive and I had major issues with the cake part of the recipe, which meant I had to make it twice at 2 in the morning. I've never made a chiffon cake before and it was looking pretty perfect until I added the butter and the batter completely liquefied and deflated my egg whites. I wasn't sure what it was supposed to look like so I forged on and baked it anyway. A few minutes later, a rubbery flat cake emerged from the oven. The second attempt was better though not perfect. If I were to make it again, I'd use a different recipe for the cake part, but the espresso syrup and the mascarpone filling/frosting were delicious.

This cake almost made me cry and I almost scrapped it and tossed it all in the trash. I would have, if I hadn't already used up 18 eggs and promised this cake to my deserving husband! This layer cake version of tiramisu is great for a special occasion and tasted just like the original, but the chiffon had a little lemon zest in it that brightened up the flavor. I really liked that addition, but Mr. H did not. If I ever have a craving for tiramisu again, I'll just stick with the classic version that uses ladyfingers, and if necessary, plop a candle in it. I'm not sharing a recipe today simply because I'm too lazy to type it out and it has so many steps and also because I did a few things differently that the original recipe called for. You can click on over to Anabel's blog for a simplified recipe, if you'd like.

Anyway, for Mr. H's 32nd birthday this year, he requested filet mignon, shrimp, cheddar cheese risotto and roasted asparagus. His wish was my command. While I played in the kitchen, Daddy and Hayden took a little snooze together on the couch. This cake was the perfect ending to a relaxed day with my family. Happy birthday, my love!

15 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

With a new baby I don;t know how you have time to do all this baking.

Everything looks delicious.

Foodiewife said...

You two make the sweetest couple, and having been fortunate enough to meet Mr. H in person-- I KNOW he's a wonderful husband, and now father. I'd say that you did a fantastic job with his dinner. Yummy! Sorry the cake was such a bust to make, but I like the idea of a Tiramasu cake. I've been procrastinating making one myself, and I need to get busy with that. Happy Birthday, Mr. H!

Unknown said...

I didn't attempt this cake because I knew no one would eat it, therefore it would go straight to the garbage. But your cake turned out beautifully.

I love the picture of Mr. H and Little H snoozing on the sofa like that. It's too precious :)

Lynda said...

It is a very impressive and delicious looking cake. Great job!

Coleens Recipes said...

You certainly have a wonderful family!! Happy birthday to Mr. H.

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing the lovely day (well, less the troublesome sponge cake thingy!) with us! That steak meal, the cake and that precious picture of the napping boys ~ happiness!

Abby said...

Happy Birthday to all! You amaze me with all this baking!

Unknown said...

YUM that looks so good!

Nellie said...

A great birthday menu! Determination is a fine characteristic, though I believe I would have dissolved in tears and tossed that cake at 2:00 in the morning!:-)

Robert Richards Recipes said...

You are a talented person to come up with a recipe like this one. I'm so happy you decided to share it with the world. :-D

Connie the Cookie Monster said...

that cake looks delicious! tiramisu is absolutely one my favourite cakes, im getting hungry just thinking about it

Amy Ruth said...

Oh! Will his little arms crossed over his chest, Hayden is a real sweetie! (:
Of course the cake looks wonderful! How did you cut it so clean??

Amy Ruth said...

*with

Healthy and Homemade said...

Too die for! Literally, between the amazing cake and that gorgeous baby I can't take it!

Unknown said...

Awww! Happy birthday Mr. H!! This cake turned out so lovely. And I would definitely would have loved to have been invited for that dinner. Looks scrumptious! We need that risotto recipe too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails