Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pie Party Recipes: Chocolate Macaroon Pie

Toasted buttery coconut and chocolate ganache together in one pie. This is the second of the recipes I'm sharing that I made from my Pie Party. This recipe comes from Martha Stewart in her new Pies & Tarts book. There are several pies from that book that had me drooling, but I loved the short ingredient list and simplicity of this one. Martha called it "Crisp Coconut and Chocolate Pie", but to me it was more like a macaroon so I changed the name of the recipe. Also to say "chocolate pie" is a little misleading because it's filled with chocolate ganache, which is nothing more than heavy cream and chocolate, but tastes like a rich, deep, silky, chocolate truffle.

This pie is made up of only 4 ingredients- coconut, butter, chocolate and cream. I was a little confused by how much coconut to use though because Martha says to use 11 ounces, or about 6 cups. But the Baker's coconut package states that 14 ounces is just over 5 cups. I ended using the full 14 ounce bag, which was a bit too much. So I recommend using and weighing out 11 ounces if possible. This pie was simple and delicious, but a little sliver went a long way. To me the combination tasted like a Mounds candy bar (you know, the one you eat when you don't feel like a nut). If you like coconut and chocolate together, then this pie is a winner. It's also gluten free so if you know someone who is sensitive to gluten, this pie is perfect.

Chocolate Macaroon Pie adapted from Pies & Tarts

Printer Friendly Version

For the Crust:

  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 11 ounces sweetened shredded coconut

For the Filling:

  • 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
  • 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped

Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a food processor, process butter and one-third of coconut until mixture forms a ball, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Sprinkle remaining two-thirds coconut over mixture, and combine with your fingers.

Place a 9-inch pie plate on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Press coconut mixture into bottom and up sides of pan to form crust, leaving top edges loose and fluffy. Place a foil ring over edge to prevent burning.

Bake until center begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes, remove foil, and bake until edges are browned, 4 to 6 minutes more. Transfer crust to a wire rack to cool completely.

Make the filling: Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan; pour over chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Let sit 10 minutes, then stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is just combined. Pour into coconut crust.

Refrigerate until filling is set, 1 hour or up to 1 day.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my! This has got to be the simplest recipe with the shortest amount of ingredients I have ever seen! It looks terrific!

Peggy Clyde said...

Looks so delicious. Have you ever put a coconut cream filling in this crust? Just wondering. Thanks.

Wasilla said...

Heavenly!!!

Katie said...

Wow that looks amazing and one I can eat :)
We can't get shredded coconut in the UK (for some bizare reason) do you think dessiccated coconut would work?

Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} said...

Ooommmmgggggoodness, this pie looks out of this world! I can't get over that chocolate filling, it looks so creamy and velvety.

I pinned this recipe, can't wait to get this on the table!

cybil said...

This cake looks so so yummy!!!

Beachwalk83 said...

OMG! So rich looking!! Would love to serve it at a dinner party if I could only remember who does and doesn't like coconut! Oh well--let them scoop out the chocolate filling. Such a pretty plate in the picture--what it the plate pattern?!?

Linda said...

Yum but I'm still waiting for the banana cream pie recipe

Chele said...

OMG! Must. Stop. Licking. My. Screen!!!

Michelle said...

OH......MY....can I just say I may love you or hate you (depending on the day) for this amazing yummy. No, I guess there is no way to hate someone that has provided so many wonderful and easy recipes. I found you via Pinterest (where all good things come, right?) Thanks for sharing all your yummies!

Unknown said...

So pretty!! I thought the chocolate was a bit overwhelming and I wanted more of the crust. But you know how I feel about chocolate. ;-)

Tanya said...

My son's favorite! Thanks for this recipe, so simple and looks deliciously sweet.

Anonymous said...

I tried to make this for Valentines Day, our friends provided lobster that they caught themselves.... Needles to say it took about 6 hrs to set. We ended up eating Girl Scout cookies for dessert! It tasted great but give it plenty of time to set.

Related Posts with Thumbnails