Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cake Slice Rebellion :-)

I know I promised you all some baby shower dessert recipes, but I forgot that it was the 20th and it's time for me to post this month's Cake Slice Cake. I assure you that I will share a new recipe by this weekend- scouts honor. Every month, the Cake Slice Bakers, bake a different cake from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman and this month the cake of choice was Zebra Cake. If you've never seen a Zebra cake it's a cocoa and vanilla cake that you alternate batters with, creating circles of dark and light batter. Once baked and cut into, it looks like zebra stripes. Pretty yes, but very plain tasting and not totally worth the effort, in my opinion. Because of this, I chose to rebel against the Zebra cake and bake the cake that was runner up in the voting- Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Here's the Zebra cake I made last year but wasn't impressed with, so I never shared it.

My baking buddy, Maranda from Jolts & Jollies, made the Zebra cake said it didn't turn out so well and tasted a wee bit like cardboard. So we both decided to not waste any more time or ingredients on it and make something else we'd both enjoy. So she's my rebel companion in baking :-) Please go HERE to see how her cake turned out!

Anyway, on to the chocolate zucchini bundt cake- I absolutely adore it. There's never been a CZ cake that I didn't like. In fact, the very first recipe that I ever shared on this blog was chocolate zucchini cake and my mother requests it every year for her birthday. I've made a few different versions including a sheet cake, but THIS ONE is my favorite. I liked this version but felt is was just like a really moist, tender and richly chocolate cake. The main difference between my favorite and this one is that this one has sour cream, espresso powder and chocolate chips in it. My favorite version is a little simpler, is made with oil, cocoa and the zucchini shines through a little more. It's more like a quick bread than a cake, yet it's baked in a Bundt.

Really you can't go wrong with any of these. Just close your eyes, pick one, bake it and eat it all up!

  1. Chocolate Zucchini Bundt
  2. Chocolate Chip Zucchini Snack Cake

Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from Cake Keeper Cakes

Printer Friendly Version

  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa (plus more for dusting the pan)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cups sliced almonds, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder or spray liberally with Bakers Joy nonstick spray.

Whisk together the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla in a large glass measuring cup and set aside.

Whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder in a medium bowl and set aside.

Combine the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice as necessary.

With the mixer on low speed, add 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Add 1/2 of the sour cream mixture. Repeat alternating flour and sour cream mixtures and end with the flour mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary between additions.

Stir in the zucchini, chocolate chips and nuts, if using.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. (Mine took 65 minutes to bake). Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.

Store the uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's a beautiful cake! Awesome.

Becki's Whole Life said...

I don't blame you - I would have gone with the zucchini cake, too. Good for you! This looks wonderful - I love anything with some zucchini in it. I also love the espresso in this which I am sure makes it even more chocolately. Yum...this is making me want cake for breakfast. Thanks!

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Oooh - naughty! ;-)

Your CZ Bundt cake looks lovely.
I did enjoy the zebra cake, though.

MerryJohnson said...

Wow !What an amazing blog.
One of the best blog.
Its awesome.
Nice blog on cake supplies.
Keep going...

Unknown said...

Amazing cake, love the look of it

Abby said...

It's about that time, isn't it? When the zucchini run out of our ears? Not a problem with recipes like these! Hope you're well!

Unknown said...

Way to be. ;) I've always been afraid of chocolate zucchini cakes because of the green speckles factor, but this bundt version looks pretty tasty.

OvenDelights said...

I'm a little late baking this months cake myself. I have been reading some posts and seems like this cake turns out good in flavor. I don't care for marble cake myself, I don't know if I just haven't had a good one yet or I just can't seem to like it! I can never taste the vanilla or the chocolate, I guess its just too bland for me. I hope this recipe turns out well for me tonight, or it may just be the end of me trying to combine these to flavors!

oneordinaryday said...

Smart lady. I made a zebra cake quite a while back and agree with you that the appearance is really all it has going for it. Your cake choice sounds so much better!

Treehouse Chef said...

I'm so happy for you! I hope when you have your baby you will stil have time to post delicious treats. Visiting your website it a joy for me. :)

LV said...

The chocolate zucchini cake looks amazing! I have always wondered what it would taste like

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

Your zucchini cake looks great. I wish I would have rebelled, too. Every month I pout a bit when my cake choice gets outvoted.

I also enjoyed your shower post. My mom is throwing me a shower this weekend, but we will not have the delicious home-baked goods (or maybe I can throw together a CZ cake!).

Lovely pictures, as always.

Becky @ Becky's Place said...

Looks so good! I actually am going to a baby shower on Sunday. While I wasn't asked to bring anything... I just may. Depends on whether there's a reprieve in this heat streak that we've been on here... Thanks!

Emily said...

I might just be inspired and go bake your CZ cake tonight! Fridge's empty... except for DH's favorite!

Laura said...

I do so LOVE using zucchini in cakes and breads, it's ALWAYS moist and that's so awesome. And you can't tell it's there especially if you peel it.

Kelly-Jane said...

Your zebra looks good, but I know what you mean, the flavour wasn't just ok.

Courgette / zucchini one looks fab too :)

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

Just love your blog! I love your opinions on all of the cakes. I think I am going to try your mom's birthday cake soon - your favorite! They all look YUM!

Sue said...

My mother-in-law used to make a chocolate zucchini cake and while it was good, it didn't look nearly as chocolaty as yours.

I've been a really bad blogger lately...with the deaths in the family, services, sorting and auctioning...I'm really having a hard time getting back to "normal" but I'm trying. It was good to hear from you today. Gonna go read about your shower.

Healthy and Homemade said...

Oh my goodness, SO chocolaty! Looks divine =)

KitchenTherapy said...

ahh cake! :D i love courgettes never used them in a cake but i'm hearing more and more about it. I have to do it now, your recipe would be the best to use :)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I'm so glad we made this decision to forgo the zebra and move on to the zucchini! Thanks for being a rebel with me!

Unknown said...

I can think of no better way to hide vegetables from children! And husbands. :) I'm so glad you rebelled!

Foodiewife said...

Monica, I bought this book on a whim about a year ago. I'm so glad you are baking the recipes, because many of them don't have photos (and I am so visual). I'm sorry that this recipe was a bust for you, because it's visually very pretty. I appreciate your honesty. So far, the only zucchini cake I've made is the Pioneer Woman's, which turned out to be moist and really good. I haven't done a chocolate one, so you have me convinced.

PS: Thanks for the birthday email. It was a great one!

Jennifer said...

I just made your original recipe yesterday. It's been a favorite since I first found it on your blog several years ago. Delicious as always, and a great weay to use up the zucchini in my garden!

Luv'n Spoonfuls said...

I'm with you on the whole zebra cake thing...I just don't get it. It was very time consuming, didn't turn out right, and even my chocoholic kids didn't like the way it tasted, so a BIG FAIL all the way around. But your CZ cakes looks divine! Can't wait to give it a try. I also LOVE to use espresso powder in almost all my chocolate recipes (a not-so-secret-ingredient). Looks yummy!

Rivki Locker said...

Just came across your site on Pinterest and am so glad I did! Your recipes and photos are lovely. This bunt cake is so pretty. The fact that it uses seasonal is enough to make it good for you! Thanks for sharing.

Elle said...

Yes, you are a rebel, but this cake looks really good...and the zucchini are going wild in the garden so why not CZ cake?

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Both are beautiful, uh-oh is my rebellian rubbing off??? haha, I could not make the post in time since my interent was in super malfunction all wk, but plan on posting soon.

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

I couldn't justify the money to spend on making the zebra cake, so I'm glad to hear your review. Like you, I agree that one should spend the tie on something that they love!

FFXIV Gold said...

I couldn't rationalize the cash to invest on creating the zebra dessert, so I'm grateful to listen to your evaluation. Like you, I believe the fact that one should invest the tie on something that they love!

cheapest runescape gold
Final Fantasy XIV CD Key

Related Posts with Thumbnails