Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Half A Pound

It's time for more cake, this time brought to you by the Cake Slice Bakers! I missed last month's cake because I just plain forgot about it until it was too late and I was already baking a triple layer 70th birthday cake. I didn't want the other cake to go to waste and I knew we wouldn't eat it so it didn't get made. However, I was not going to miss out on this cake though because it got rave reviews from all the other bakers and because it's a style of cake I've never made before- a Cold-Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake. It did not disappoint.

I did make a couple of changes to the recipe to suit my tastes. Firstly, I halved the recipe because I was warned by more than one person that it made a ton of batter. The half recipe still made a substantial amount of cake, but I shared with neighbors so it was more than okay. The second thing I changed was to omit the freshly grated ginger, because I'm not a big fan, but I left the full amount of lemon zest in the recipe. And because they're pretty, I added a handful of fresh blueberries and raspberries to the batter. I have both recipes for you down below, so you can make the pound cake of your choice. Whether you half the recipe or make the full amount, be sure your pan is big enough to accommodate all the batter or divide it up into smaller pans, so you don't have overflow.

I made two smaller Bundts as well as a 4-inch round cake. One Bundt had blueberries, the other had raspberries and the smaller cake that we didn't share enjoyed at home had both berries incorporated throughout. They were buttery and moist, tender yet firm cakes. The cream cheese adds a smooth, creamy richness to the batter that the author describes as "velvety". And another unique thing about this recipe is that it starts off baking in a cold oven, hence the title of the recipe. Those few extra minutes allow the cake time to rise as it develops a lovely golden crust. Speaking of lovely, this would make the perfect dessert this Easter Sunday- top it off with lightly sweetened whipped cream to make it even better. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Berries adapted from Cake Keeper Cakes

Printer Friendly Version

  • 1 1/2 cups cake flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
  • 1 cup fresh berries (I used raspberries and blueberries)

Adjust the oven rack to the lower middle position. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan and dust with flour. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.

Combine the butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.

With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and lemon zest.

Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, 1/2 a cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. After the last addition, mix for 30 seconds on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Place the cake in a cold oven. Turn the oven to 325 degrees F and bake, without opening the oven door, until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-45 minutes.

Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert it onto a rack. Cool completely before slicing and serving.

Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Cold-Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake from Cake Keeper Cakes

Printer Friendly Version
  • 3 cups cake flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 6 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger
  • 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest

Adjust the oven rack to the lower middle position. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan and dust with flour. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.

Combine the butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.

With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, ginger and lemon zest.

Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, 1/2 a cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. After the last addition, mix for 30 seconds on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Place the cake in a cold oven. Turn the oven to 325 degrees F and bake, without opening the oven door, until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 65-80 minutes.

Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert it onto a rack. Cool completely before slicing and serving.

Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.

P.S. I'm 18 weeks pregnant today! I'm more pregnant than I've ever been and it feels awesome!

34 comments:

Lulu the Baker said...

I love your variation! I'm not usually a big fan of fresh ginger either (I think it tastes like soap!), but I went ahead and followed the recipe and it was delicious! The ginger flavor was not at all pronounced, despite the full Tablespoon and a half!!

Avril said...

Absolutely gorgeous Monica!

I think of you often (like every day) hoping that you are feeling well and getting as much rest as you can. I am over the moon excited for YOU and Mr. H!!! I love to hear that you are "more pregnant" than you've ever been!!!!! LOVE it! :-)

xoxox
~avril :-)

Emily said...

Clever girl Monica! 3 different cakes from 1 recipe!

Take care!

Champa said...

Loved the berries in the cake. BTW, I have to thank you for giving the contact info to get in.

Amy said...

This looks wonderful and I'm hoping I get time to make this for our Easter Dinner on Sunday! Thanks so much for this oh so yummy looking recipe!! =)

Keeley said...

Monica, I'm glad you're doing well! I'm bookmarking this cake for this summer when I have more time... a poundcake with berries sounds perfect!

Manderley de GuindillayCanela said...

I love this cakes, good good and good.

xo

Heather S-G said...

Oh, it looks beautiful...I'd love one of each please ;)

Anonymous said...

They are adorable Monica! I too left out the ginger...wish I would have thought of adding berries! YUMMY....love lemon and berries =)

beauty be told said...

hope you are feeling well... looks delish, and happy easter!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

This cake looks beautiful and sounds tasty. Great pics!

Oh and I am so happy for you that your pregnancy is going so well.

Elle said...

Love your variations and enthusiasm.Sure is a pretty cake and everyone is raving about it. A must make when time allows.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

1st and most important, congrats on your 18 wks old :)
Secondly, great minds think alike. I din't want all that cake and thought berries was the way to go this time of year. Your differnet pans are gorgeous and such a great idea. Love!

Jodi said...

Looks delicious! Nice addition of the berries.

And, congrats on making it to 18 weeks! You deserve it!

Memória said...

Don't "p.s." that great news!! haha CONGRATULATIONS, CHICA!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND SAM! I bet you look so cute. We need to meet up soon. I have to see how you look preggers haha.

This cake looks amazing. When are you going to make me a cake. You owe me one haha j/k.

Unknown said...

Wow, ambitious, making three different cakes. However, they look absolutely delicious!

Congrats on the 18 week mark by the way :D

Katie said...

Both bundts and cake look gorgeous. Great idea to add the fresh berries, they look so pretty against the creamy cake. I made two minis too, but loved the flavour.

I'm so thrilled you are feeling so well with your pregnancy

Laura said...

you go MAMA!! I'm so happy for you guys and I can't wait to find out boy or girl? or did I miss that?

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

What a great idea to start adding things to this very versatile cake. Love your berries.
Congratulations on the milestone. I'm following your other blog too with mounting excitement. :-D

cybil said...

Praying for your pregnancy!
Have a very happy Easter!!!
(The cake looks certainly delicious)
Sibylle

Rachel said...

I like all the three versions. Happy easter and wishes for a good health.

Holly said...

Congrats!!! So exciting-almost half way:) These little bundts look yummy and summery!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the variations. I don't know which one to choose!

Kelly-Jane said...

Your cake looks perfect, well done :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Sounds and looks like this is what I'm making for Easter!! :)
~ingrid

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

I didn't make this cake for the group and yours looks and sounds superb! Happy Easter to you Monica and thanks so much for your kind support this week! Roz

Leana said...

Congrats on making it to 18 weeks!! I'm so happy for you :o) The cakes look so good, I'm gonna have to go make them.

Sophie said...

Oh, lovely spring cake but it looks like it'd be great to make for the 4th too :). I thought it was "cold" because it tastes good cold ha. I didn't consider the thing about the oven...maybe that's because I love eating cake cold? :P

Audrey Ellen @ My Scene and Herd said...

Yum! I love your variations on this traditional cake. If this cake was in my house at the moment I would grill a slice on my george forman and top it with ice cream.

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

SUch great photography! Those berries are so beautiful and so happy that you are keeping well.

Unknown said...

Oh yours is really pretty! I love the addition of the berries. I think berries and lemon are wonderful compliments to one another. Great job!

Nana said...

Sorry, but I did not care for this cake. I thought it was a bit dry and the crumb was very coarse; but thanks for sharing.

Healthy and Homemade said...

This is beautiful, and large! Looks great.

Queenammer said...

I just made this recipe with raspberries and it was wonderful. I like that is has only one stick of butter and still super moist! Keep up the great work on your blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails