Friday, March 18, 2011

Cookie Monster Cookies and A Thank You

I have to tell you that as I read through the comments on my last post, I smiled, then I cried. I was so overwhelmed by you all and your kind words. I can honestly say that I felt and still feel, loved, supported and blessed. I thank you all so very much from the depths of my heart. I always knew there were wonderful people out there, I'm just thankful that I have you in my life. You have no idea what your words do for me. We are forever grateful for your prayers for us and this little one. Please keep them coming and thank you.

I haven't been baking much lately. I haven't had any morning sickness with this pregnancy (thank goodness!) and while it seems I wake up starving every morning, food doesn't really do it for me. I am eating, but portions are small. There have been a few cravings though, and a big fat salad was one of them. Go figure. There were also a few days where I wanted key lime pie and pineapple upside down cake, but after a slice I was done. I also haven't had much energy the past few weeks since the surgery to bake or cook or stand for longer than 20 minutes so these cookies are from last April.

I made these m&m cookies a while back for my father-in-law. He is a true cookie monster! And for some reason he keeps buying those under baked gummy ones from the grocery store bakery. They're really not that great but because they're convenient and he's not picky, he eats them. I've made these cookies before and they really are good so I decided to make a batch just for him. They're buttery and crisp, have great vanilla flavor and the m&m's are an added bonus. If I remember correctly, he ate them all by himself and did not share :-) This weekend is his birthday and while I won't be making these cookies for him, I will be making him a delicious birthday cake. Stay tuned for it.

Red's Ultimate M&M's Cookies from M&M

Printer Friendly Version

  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1- 12 ounce package M&M'S

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla.

In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt; blend into creamed mixture. Stir in M&M's.

Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and centers are still soft. Do not overbake. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; cool completely on wire racks. Store in tightly covered container.

NOTE: I like to section out the cookie dough with an ice cream scoop then I place the m&m's on top of the mounded dough before baking to ensure that the candy stays on top of the cookie. But feel free to mix the candy directly into the batter- it all tastes the same :-)

P.S. I am waaay behind on reading your blogs. Please be patient with me, but know that I will make it there soon, I promise. I miss you guys. Thanks for understanding but all this baby wants to do is sleep!

38 comments:

Connie @ its the cookie monster! said...

i might have to challenge your father in law to a cookie eating competition!

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

Glad to hear that you haven't been experiencing morning sickness. I always wondered why they called it morning sickness since it seemed to be all day sickness for me. Your cookies look so colorful,and I just know I would be continually reaching for one until I was left wondering why the plate was empty. Looking forward to seeing your next baking treat.

egbkid said...

They look yummy, i have a bag on M&Ms in my cupboard, so i may have to steal your recipe :-)
Congrats on the baby, hope you both are doing well!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

M & M's and wine gums are my secret pleasures.

cybil said...

Hello,
I just read your last post ... Congratulations!!
I'm very happy for you!
Father, bless and protect this child!

How good that such a surgery was possible!
Wishing you a very joyful, pleasant, happy full-term pregnancy!
Warm regards from Geneva/Switzerland,
Sibylle

Anonymous said...

I'm such a big fan of M&Ms! They beat Smarties hands down. These giant cookies could really help me curb a craving. Yum!

Girl Schmuck said...

Hey I will be praying for your precious life. Yours and the babies. Congrats.

I also have a monster cookie recipe on my blog. Its HUGE and you scoop it with an icecream scoop. I don't have pictures b/c I have always eaten them and forgotten. I will try to add pictures the next time I make them. Just wanted to poke my head in the door and tell you congrats. And praying for hubby too. He needs support and love too.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Forget the cookies, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Somehow I missed your last post and I had no idea!! I'm so happy for you guys :).

Ruth Hiebert said...

You just take good care of yourself and baby.Right now nothing else matters.Baking and blogs will wait for another day.You are loved and cared for.
Ruth

Maria said...

Love the cookies! Just got your comment-Congrats!!! So exciting! We are so close too! Hang in there! I am so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Monica,

I was worried about you. I saw your announcement last week and have been wondering how you were feeling. Our son is bringing a friend home from school today and I have these baking right now. The batter was delicious and the cookies must be wonderful!!! Take care of yourself. I'm so happy for you.

Mel J.

Le palais gourmand said...

Sont trop mignons ces cookies, je t'en chipe quelques uns histoire de tester ;)

Jean said...

Glad you are beginning to get better. I would think getting over the surgery while being pregnant would be a double whammy. Don't overdo and go a bit slower till you are feeling much better.
Cookies or cake? I would have both please!

Abby said...

I had no idea! I'm way behind, too, for the same reason. :) Going to read the next post now...

Pound said...

you deserve every last sweet comment and blessing and more! hang in there, stay positive! everything will be just fine!

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

These look so yummy! I love M & M cookies - I just love cookies!

You take care - rest and bake when you feel like it. We will be here for you when you are ready!

Susan www.ugogrrl.com

Corinna said...

You take care of you and your little one, no worries about the rest of the blog world right now. We're wishing you nothing but the very best pregnancy in every way possible.
Cookies look wonderful, and what a great idea to put the M&M's on last.
Take care Sweetie.

peachkins said...

love those cookies! they're very colorful!

Debbie said...

Sending more good thoughts your way Monica and I love those cookies!!!

The Daily Smash said...

Oh my son would love these I will need to try them soon.And what a great idea putting the m&ms on top :)

Im a new follower

Ashley
myfoodblog
www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Those cookies look awesome! I think Little Butt may fight your FIL for them!

ishiko said...

yummmy..

Kerstin said...

Monster cookies are just the best - they always make me smile!

Champa said...

These cookies look so cute. Any kid would love it. Could you tell me what I should do to join the cake slice group? Don't even know if they are taking new members or not. Thanks.

Emily said...

So Happy to learn of your good news in the previous post.

You take care now and don't fret about us, we await your every word whenever you are able!

M&Ms look yummy!

Rhonda said...

I love your blog and am so happy to hear your good news. You and your family are in my Prayers! What a luckly little one to have such a great mom like you!

April said...

I read your blog often but haven't posted, but after reading your great news, wanted to let you know you and your sweet baby are in our prayers..

Brooke said...

Owh Congratulations!! I missed your last post, so just went back and read it and am crying now. I'm so happy for you and your hubby. Be sure to look after yourself and rest when you need. Everyone and everything else can wait.

Those cookies surely wouldn't last long in my house!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Wishing you the best. Just rest and take care of yourself! Blessings!!!!

Heather S-G said...

Oh my gosh! So, somehow I've missed that you are pregnant. Congratulations Monica...my thoughts and prayers are with you and sending happy baby thoughts your way! =) These cookie monster cookies are so cool. M&M cookies were always the ones I reached for when I was little. Love that shot of the candies.

fancy pantalons said...

I'm on vacation visiting the children but checking in and glad to hear you are doing well. Tired is all a part of it. Pamper yourself!!!!!

Best,
Bonnie

Carla said...

Congrats Monica!

I've been a reader and a recipe maker (love them!), but this is my first comment.

I am so excited for you and sending many many prayers your way for a healthy pregnancy! I'm also due mid Sept and the exhaustion is KILLING ME! Take care of YOU!

Unknown said...

These look sooooo yummy!!!

Jennifer said...

Take good care of yourselves, everything else can wait! SO happy for you! :)

pieridae said...

Congratulations! I am a longtime lurker on your blog & often visit to find yummies to make, but your last post made me cry as well & thought I would comment. Best wishes to you, thoughts and prayers and positive energy your way. Two years ago I blew a fallopian tube during an ectopic pregnancy & last year I had a beautiful healthy boy. It doesn't compare to 2nd trimester loss, I know, but I do have an inkling of what you're going through. Try to rest & relax for baby. Best, best best wishes! - Rachel

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

You are in my prayers, beautiful Monica! Congratulations on your pregnancy <3

Unknown said...

I've been a little behind on reading others blogs myself lately, so what wonderful news to come and read on your blog today! Congratulations! I'll be praying that your pregnancy continues to go well. By the way, my kids are going to love these cookies. :)

Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

Great looking cookies! I am like you in the fact that when I bake cookies with M&MS or Choc. Chips or whatnot I always have to place the candies on top of the cookies! they just look great that way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails