Tuesday, November 16, 2010

S'more Love

We're smack dab in the middle of November (where did the year go?) and I'm making s'mores! Wacky, I know, but s'mores aren't seasonal to me. They're a perfect treat during the warm summer months around the campfire, but they're perfectly acceptable in the Fall too. And just for the record I've never had a s'more around a camp fire. If I'm having a craving then I just toast a marshmallow with my blow torch, or I use my gas burner to get the job done. When I'm feeling lazy, the microwave works just fine.

This is a s'more bar and while it has all the components of a traditional s'mores but it was different. It was more sophisticated in presentation but I don't think it's nearly as fun as a gooey Jet-Puff marshmallow stuck between two crisp graham crackers. Though it is a portable treat and it gets bonus points for that. The flavors were delicious, but for me, what makes the s'more is the charred marshmallow. These bars used marshmallow fluff, and I missed the burnt bits. I like burnt bits :-)

Don't let my opinion of these bars deter you from making them. Many people love them and they are awesome right out of the oven when they're piping hot and the chocolate is molten. That first stolen bite was the best, especially with an ice cold glass of milk. If I make these again I'd bake them just a couple minutes longer to toast up the graham topping a little more- I think mine were a tad underbaked. If you make them, let me know how you like them! BTW, is anyone else still out of whack from the time change?

S'more Bars from Lovin' From The Oven

  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 5 regular Hershey's milk chocolate bars or 2 king-size bars
  • 1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme/fluff (7 1/2 oz. jar)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined.

Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place chocolate bars over dough breaking the chocolate (if necessary) to get it to fit in a single layer no more than 1/4 inch thick. Spread chocolate with marshmallow creme or fluff.

Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff (most easily achieved by flattening the dough into small shingles and laying them together like patchwork).

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

43 comments:

E. said...

aww, the bars are soo cute! They look sooo yummy. Is there a difference b/w jet puffed marshmallow creme and regular marshmallow? I never tried the creme before. I need to invest in it so I can make whoopie pies too. :)

Monica H said...

Esther-

It's just a different texture. The reason this calls for the marshmallow creme or fluff instead of marshmallows is because marshmallows melt in the heat. The fluff stays gooey. Get a jar, it's fun!

Brooke said...

Being an Aussie I'm a S'more virgin but these look so good. I might be able to give them a try with a couple of local substitutions.

Allie said...

I've been craving sweets lately and I'm pretty sure one of those would satisfy me!! I actually like baked goods a little undercooked because they are mushy and gooey...yum! We'll have to go somewhere where we can have a real campfire and roast some smores! Have you ever made smores at Cosi? So fun!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Wow, your photos look amazing!!!!!!

:)
ButterYum

Julie said...

Looks delicious and I love the less messy aspect!

Astrid said...

I have been wanting to make something like this! I've been craving s'mores, too, which isn't unlike me, because I love them so much. But I guess they are more of a summer time treat. I agree, your pictures look amazing (they always do).

cookies and cups said...

Love this!!! What a super yummy treat..btw, now I am super conscience every time I use the word yummy thanks to you :)

Michel-lee said...

I was just thinking about what to make for church on Sunday. It's my turn to make a snack for the kids. This would be great to do but I'll have to double the recipe.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I must try these,even though I can feel the pounds adding up,but who cares.We all need to fill that sweet tooth.
Blessings,Ruth

Kristen said...

Oh, dear, that looks so delicious. I am sorely wanting one for breakfast!

Avril said...

What a gorgeous treat Monica! I tell you what...if you come over to my house (LOVE your comment on my latest blog post) for French Toast, afterwards we will have s'mores at our fire pit. Doesn't that sound like fun!?! - goodness, we can't let you go any longer without experiencing having REAL live s'mores! Although your bars look sooooo appealing to me right now....maybe I'll skip my scrambled eggs and whip up a batch of those instead. :-)

Happy Wednesday to you Darlin'!
~avril :-)

Cassie said...

These look absolutely delicious, but I'm with you: I LOVE the burnt bits of marshmallow. I just can't believe you've never had a s'more made the traditional way, over a fire. Monica, you have to try it! There's something about the outdoor fire that just does magical things to the marshmallows. Promise me you'll try it soon!

Brandy L said...

mmmmmm anything with marshmellows in my world is good to eat! Thanks for sharing this simple recipe! :D

Stephanie said...

Oh my! The kids would just freak over these. And I wouldn't have to go camping :)

Anonymous said...

Why couldn't you put the marshmallows under the broiler to toast them a bit before you put the top crust on?

From the Kitchen said...

I agree that the ooey, gooey s-mores are my favorites. I've layered the chocolate bars on top of brownies when they come out of the oven. It was a favorite treat of a favorite aunt at a restaurant of hers. The chocolate partially melts onto the brownie and it's a real treat.

Best,
Bonnie

Sue said...

Well they may not be as good as the "real deal" but they certainly look good. I'm with you on the fluff part...I wonder if you could use real marshmallows? They might not brown but they just taste different than fluff.

You really must have them around a fire sometime...perfection!

Allie said...

Never s'mores around a campfire? Isn't that some sort of rite of passage? Please please make that one of your 2011 New Year's resolutions! However, I do really like the torch idea. I will definitely be trying that. When I'm desperate for a s'more I usually use the broiler. Now I am craving s'mores for breakfast... I think I will be making these very soon :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Love s'mores anything! :) It's the only time I like chocolate.

Great photos Monica!
~ingrid

Erin said...

Wow...the image in the middle of the post with row after row of Hershey's Chocolate makes me giddy :)

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Mmmmm, nice one! This will be a kid favorite and an adult favorite. Smore please!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this look so amaizing! thanks for sharing this:)

Melanie said...

These look so good! And yes, I am still out of whack from the time change. My alarm goes off at 6 AM every morning, but I keep naturally waking up at 5 AM! So annoying.

Unknown said...

Do you enjoy torturing me! ha

Abby said...

I laughed when you said you just break out your blow torch. For a s'more! That's why you're a rockin' food blogger.

These look great. And I'm all about them being simple.

Anonymous said...

GREAT IDEA! Love this. I just made s'mores cookies!

Sherry G said...

I have made these before, and absolutely loved them! My crust did look a lot more done than yours too. I have even been thinking about making them again!

Unknown said...

mmmmm i love s'mores. and cooincidentaly we are making s'more in my adv. chem last on friday with the bunson burners >:) FIRE!! haha. but ill deffinately have to try these. i love s'more! <3

Patti said...

Oh yum! I with you though, I like the toasty bits of marshmallow on the smore's. I wonder if you torched the fluff before adding the dough on top if that would work. Hmmm. Might have to try it because these sure look good!

Taylor said...

YUM! That picture of the marshmallow fluff on top of the chocolate layer looks to die for! I love the idea of s'mores being year-round :)

Unknown said...

These look SO GOOD!! I will be making them ASAP :) Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love s'mores! Especially made over a fire. But I've never tried the kitchen torch idea. I'm going to give it a go soon. These bars look amazing though.

oneordinaryday said...

I loved these bars a little too much when I made them. My kids weren't crazy about them (they're weird), and I ended up eating most of the pan by myself!

Tatiyana said...

I can't wait to make these! I'm always so sad when summer is over and I don't make S'mores anymore. They're my absolute favorite treat (I have a secret stash of marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate in the back of the cupboard, shhh!) I've done S'mores brownies, but these look way yummier!! Thanks for the beautiful idea!

Sophie said...

I know what you mean about the charred marshmallows, but these still look really good :).

Desi said...

Like all of your food, these look so cute and delicious! But I must agree, gotta have the burnt part on the marshmallows or it just isn't the same!

Krystalaust said...

I made this tonight for thanksgiving tomorrow and they are amazing! they are so good totally reminds me of sitting at a campfire

Whitney Stephens said...

I just made this as a thank you gift for some friends who watched our dog while we were out of town. They were simply amazing! We haven't given them away yet and I don't know if we will, lol.

mixingbowlmaster said...

I just came across your blog and am in complete love. I can not believe how cute these bars look, they would be perfect for kids too! I am going to be making them for a party this weekend, but I am not sure they will make it past the hubby and out the door.

Anonymous said...

Hi :) I've made these a couple of times, but the bottom cookie base is practically raw, and if I keep it in for longer the top gets too browned. Any advice?

Anonymous said...

Hi :) I've tried this recipe a couple of times, they taste amazing! but i just have one problem, the cookie base comes out practically raw, and if I keep it in for too long, the base is less raw but the top is too browned. Any advice??

Monica H said...

You can either put a piece if foil over the top to keep it from browning or you can prebake the bottom crust a bit before layering on the other ingredients. Hope that helps!

Related Posts with Thumbnails