Monday, August 16, 2010

Cocktail Umbrella Not Included

I made this cake for my mother in-laws' birthday. In MARCH. Yeah, I know! We're gonna get past that fact and move on straight to this cake. Ever heard of Planters Punch? I never had until I found this recipe in Bundt Classics. There are a ton of really great recipes in this book all made for Bundt pans. Some of the recipes start off with a cake mix and others are from scratch. There are sweet cakes, savory recipes and glazes in this spiral bound book. There aren't many pictures but if you ever come across it, I highly recommend you check it out.

Okay back to this cake. It starts off with a cake mix and then you add some tropical flavors to it, like pineapple, orange rum and grenadine to add a nice rosy color. I'm assuming those are the flavors that are in Planters Punch as well. You just dump everything in the bowl, mix it up and it's in the oven in no time. One of the things that I liked about this cake was that it baked so completely level- meaning it didn't make a hump in the pan as it baked. I don't know why that thrilled me, but it did. It's the little things :-)

As I mentioned this cake starts off with a boxed mix, but it didn't taste like it at all. It had a wonderful tender crumb, was moist and had such a pleasant peachy color. I don't know how to describe the flavor as not one flavor stood out over the other. It was just good! I actually put a little too much glaze on this cake (is there really such a thing as too much glaze?) but my MIL scraped it all up and put it on her piece. I think that meant she liked it. If you're into into fruity umbrella drinks, you definitely need to try this cake!

Planters Punch Cake adapted from Bundt Classics

Printer Friendly Version

  • 1 (18.25 oz.) package yellow cake mix
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 orange juice
  • 1/4 cup light rum (I used coconut rum)
  • 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
  • 3 tablespoons grenadine syrup
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 2 eggs

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 or 12 cup Bundt pan.

In a large mixing bowl, mix all the cake ingredients. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Spoon into prepared pan.

Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes then remove from pan. Place on rack and cool completely. If desired, drizzle with Vanilla Glaze (recipe below).

Vanilla-Rum Glaze from Monica H

  • 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. rum extract
  • 1-2 Tbsp. milk

In a medium bowl, mix sugar and butter. Add vanilla and rum extract. Gradually add milk until desired consistency is achieved. Mix until smooth.

For a thinner consistency, add more milk. For a thicker glaze, add more sugar.

Apply glaze to cake and let it set before serving.

23 comments:

cybil said...

I'm sure it's very yummy!!!!
Have a nice week,
greetings from Geneva/Switzerland,
Sibylle

Sara said...

Oooooooh, this looks fantastic!! Wow - love the idea of those flavors together. :)

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

oh my goodness!! That looks absurdly good. I'm making this soon!

oneordinaryday said...

Great color and it looks so moist. I'm sure your MIL loved it.

So did you make her wait while you took pics of her cake? : )

Debbie said...

Wow...looks like a great cake. I would love to find that book since I a fan of Bundt cakes. I think I use my Bundt pan way more than any other one.

cookies and cups said...

I want to take a bath in that glaze! Seriously yum!!

Keeley said...

Mmmm! Looks easy, too!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

wor, lovely cake, sound good!

Katie said...

Sounds yummy! I love the slight rosy colour fo the cake and no there is never too much glaze! Not heard of the punch before either.

I'm with you with the 'baking level' thing - makes it sit so prettily on the serving plate then

Heather S-G said...

That sounds awesome! I would totally stick an umbrella in my piece ;)

Cookbook Queen said...

I love fruity drinks and I love cake. But mostly, I love cake that tastes like fruity drinks!!
And in my opinion, the world needs more umbrellas in drinks. They make things happy.

Love your blog!! I'm a new follower.

Chloe said...

It looks absolutely yummy... I will make it as soon as possible!

Julie said...

I love fruity drinks with umbrellas, and I love cake. Sounds perfect :)

Anonymous said...

That looks really delicious and simple!!

anne
www.anniebakes.net

Jean Badgley said...

this looks like such a great summer cake and I love the idea of a little cocktail umbrella...your cakes always look good to me...

tamilyn said...

I swear I hear Don Ho singing in the background when I look at this cake....

Foodiewife said...

No coffee or milk needed with this. It looks moist and LOVE the pink color. I need to get busy and make a bundt cake soon!

Unknown said...

Oh man this looks amazing. But I think all of your food looks amazing! I don't think there's such a thing as too much glaze either. Yummy! I think all I need is grenadine and I'm set to make this. I even have the perfect bundt pan to bake it in!!!

Memória said...

I like the addition of grenadine. YUM! I would have to remove the rum, though.

Kerstin said...

What a fun tropical cake! So perfect for when you want to use a cake mix too :)

Laura said...

I'm with your MIL I LOVE glaze and frosting and always aim for more :)


YUMMMMMMMMMY

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I think I remember you telling me about this one. Maybe.......

Sounds good and I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one struggling to keep up with the recipe posting. Okay, I'm waaaaaaay behind and there's no comparison! :)
~ingrid

Janice said...

Thanks! for the tip about the Bundt Classics recipe book. There are several available on B&N[used] for $1.99+s/h. Can't wait to get mine!

Related Posts with Thumbnails