Monday, July 12, 2010

A Taste Of The Islands

I'm embarrassed to tell you how long ago I made this fudge, so I won't. :-) Does it matter how long ago I made, as long as I'm sharing it with you now? I didn't think so either. I've made a version of this fudge before, last July for my mom's birthday. It was loaded with her favorite flavors- orange, cranberry and macadamia nuts. This version incorporates dried pineapple, coconut and nuts!

This summery concoction was requested by my mom's friend as a paid order. In fact she requested this flavor as well as the cranberry orange version and a semisweet chocolate and walnut fudge. This was my favorite of the three and it's so easy to throw together. You can use the basic recipe (below) and add any kind of flavorings, fruits, nuts, and chocolate to make it your own. Don't like nuts? Don't add 'em. Love dried fruit? Add more. It's that simple.

Pina Colada Fudge. Ever heard of that before? It's sweet and creamy, with a slight taste of rum in the background. The macadamia nuts and pecans add a nice crunch, while the dried pineapple adds a chewy factor. The toasted coconut flakes are kind of a hidden surprise. They add to the overall texture but they don't overwhelm the fudge. And since it's toasted it's not going to be stringy and get caught up in your teeth. You're welcome. Go make this for yourself or as a treat for someone else. You don't even have to turn the oven on, what are you waiting for?!

Pina Colada Fudge adapted from HERE

Printer Friendly Version

  • 1 (12 oz.) package white chocolate chips
  • 1 (16 oz.) tub cream cheese or vanilla frosting
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. rum extract
  • 1/2 cup dried pineapple, chopped
  • 1/4 cup toasted flaked coconut
  • 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans
  • more nuts or fruit for garnish (optional)

1. Lightly butter an 8 x 8-inch baking pan or a 9-inch diameter pan*. Set aside.

2. Melt the baking chips in the microwave in a medium bowl.

3. Stir in the frosting, salt, extract, nuts and fruit until well combined.

4. Scrape into the prepared pan and sprinkle with additional nuts or fruit as garnish, if using.

5. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour or until firm. Cut it into squares to serve.

NOTE: *I used a silicone pan, so I skipped step one and it made popping out the fudge so easy.

This is the blueprint recipe for this fudge. You can use ANY combination of flavors to make your fudge uniquely yours. Have fun with it.

Easy Fudge from Nancy's Kitchen
  • 1 (12-ounce) package of baking chips
  • 1 (16-ounce) tub of prepared frosting
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon extract of your choice
  • 3/4 cup nuts of your choice

1. Lightly butter an 8 x 8-inch baking pan or a 9-inch diameter pan. Set aside.

2. Melt the baking chips in the microwave in a medium bowl.

3. Stir in the frosting, salt, extract, and nuts until well combined.

4. Scrape into the prepared pan and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour or until firm. Cut it into squares to serve.

I heart Pina Colada Fudge!

24 comments:

Avril said...

Oh my....what treat this fudge must be! It sounds and looks absolutely amazingly delicious!

Team Chastain said...

I wonder how well this would do being mailed...any ideas? :) Love your blog! ♥

The Blue-Eyed Bakers said...

Well you're combining two of our favorite things...fudge and pina coladas! We will absolutely have to give this a try...love the idea of the dried pineapple too...yum!

Jeanette said...

The pina colada fudge sounds heavenly. Believe it or not I made Paula Deens fudge with velveeta cheese and that was really good, I promise! LOL

Donna-FFW said...

I love the jeweled look in fudge.. and I think July is the PERFECT time for an Island type fudge!

Monica H said...

Michelle, Thanks for stopping by! I would say if it's hotter than 80 degrees out where you are or where you're mailing the fudge I would not send it. There are still chocolate chips in this and they will melt. The other main ingredient is frosting and it's not going to hold up in the heat. In the colder months? I see no problems sending this fudge through the mail.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful, what a wonderful gift it would make

From the Kitchen said...

There goes my diet! The fact that I can no longer fit into a size 10 I blame on you, Monica--but I've enjoyed every "pound".

I picked up the ingredients to do the pizza puffs at the grocery today. They just struck me as being really delicious!!

Best,
Bonnie

Michele said...

Oh my gosh! I love fudge and I love pina colada. I have definitely got to make this! How creative.

Memória said...

I have never heard of piña colada fudge. What great photos!

Katie said...

Looks delicious and I love pina coladas! Much more exciting than regular fudge

Cassie said...

Oh wow, that looks so delicious! And thanks for providing the blueprint recipe, too!

Keeley said...

Pretty! I don't enjoy white chocolate or fudge, but this is an impressive looking dessert (looks very sweet).

Debbie said...

Wow...that is certainly a different take on fudge! I love it Monica! It looks delicious.

Unknown said...

You have no idea how much I am drooling right now. As soon as I saw the dried pineapple I was hooked. Then you added coconut and I was a gonner. I CANNOT WAIT to make this...seriously...wow. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

What a great blog! Everything looks so good and tasty.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

Lovely!! Looks like stained glass :)

~~louise~~ said...

Did I hear Pina Colada Fudge? I am so there!!! Incredible, Monica.

Thanks for sharing...

allison [a for aubergine] said...

This is so clever! I'm inspired to make this and perhaps a mango daiquiri version... :)

Maria said...

I would love to nibble on this on a sandy beach:)

Elisa said...

came via Bonnie's blog and she was right! I should have eaten before visitng here, I'm craving every single recipe..yum,yum, that blueberry cake and the cream bundt cake..

Now I'm off to visit your photoblog.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Your fudge is actually very pretty and when I think of fudge I don't normally think pretty. (Chocolaty, and ew, ha-ha! I crack myself up.)

I love pina colada flavored things so I'm pretty certain I'd like this.
~ingrid

Lori said...

You find the best recipes. I love this one. I love pina colada and would love it in fudge.

oneordinaryday said...

Though I'm not a fan of coconut myself, I can think of a big handful of people I'd love to surprise with this. Bookmarking1

Related Posts with Thumbnails