We just finished dinner and I'm snuggled up in my favorite chair with the laptop on my...well, lap. I am listening to Family Guy reruns in the background and waiting for 9pm to strike so I can meet my friend at the bookstore for coffee and chit chat. Sounds ideal huh? Minus the obnoxious cartoon in the background. ha!
You see, Mr. H will take the remote from me, change the channel and put it on something uber annoying. He'll watch it for about 15 minutes then head into the office to full around on the computer or he'll go to the garage to tinker and he leaves the remote on the couch across the room! That drives me batty. He does this ALL the time. Usually I jut ignore it because I'm reading blogs and it's just background noise, but I can't stand Family Guy's rude humor. Or a show about garage makeovers, or tow trucks or the Speed channel, or Vh-1's One Hit Wonders (for the umpteenth time).
My husband has horrible taste in television. It's not all bad but I've been subjected to some awful TV. And as I type this I'm watching Van Wilder's something or another. And the remote? Across the room on the couch far, far away from me (really it's only a few feet away from me but I'm lazy so it feels like miles). But despite this annoying habit, I love my husband and I vowed "for better or worse". And so I made him these pepperoni pizza puffs. They're like bite size pizzas baked into muffin pan. We had them for dinner with a side salad but I'd recommend them for appetizers too. They're kind of like pizza but puffy and a little like a quiche but loaded with pizza flavor. Feel free to make them with your favorite toppings.
Pepperoni Pizza Puffsadapted from Everyday with Rachael Ray and Cassie Craves
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- pinch of salt (my addition, optional)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (my addition, optional)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cubed pepperoni
- 1/2 cup store-bought pizza sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 24-cup mini-muffin pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes (if using) ; whisk in the milk and egg. Stir in the mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni; let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin cups. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, microwave the pizza sauce until warmed through. Serve the puffs with the pizza sauce for dipping.
NOTE: All my batter did not fit into the 24-mini muffin pan. So I made a full size muffin with the leftover batter. Some pans are larger than others so you may not have have an issue.
Hope you all have a great weekend!