Sunday, April 25, 2010

Meat and Potatoes

I've made this a handful of times already so I figured it was about time to blog about it, don't you? My husband loves LOVES this pot roast. Like seriously, I think he and this pot roast have a love affair going on. And it's not a mini one. Whenever I make this he walks up to the crock pot, removes the lid, lowers his face into the steamy pot and inhales all the meaty aromas rising up to meet him. If you have a meat lover in your family, this roast is for you!

Since the first time I've made this, I've heard nothing but mmm's and aah's over this pot roast. And the best thing is it could not be simpler. Well I guess the only thing simpler would be to have someone else make it and invite you over for dinner, but other than that it's a cinch. This roast gets it's flavor from 3 seasoning packets- Ranch dressing, Italian dressing and Brown Gravy mix. You add the roast (I've used eye of round and rump roast- both are fine) to a crock pot, then sprinkle the seasoning packets over it, then pour water into the crock pot. Turn it on and a few hours later it's done!

The water, meat juices and seasonings meld together into a wonderful gravy that is killer over mashed potatoes. I've made this about 5 times now and while it's always delicious, sometimes it's a little more tender than others-- almost to the point of it falling apart. This particular roast held it's shape and made for nice slices. It's hard to describe the flavor of the gravy, but it's a little tangy and salty, beefy and savory. Just go make it and see for yourself! Thanks Denise for sharing this recipe.

3 Packet Crock Pot Roast and Gravy

from Keeper Worthy Recipes

  • 1 Beef Roast, any kind, sized to fit your crock pot
  • 1 package Ranch Salad Dressing mix
  • 1 package Italian Salad Dressing mix
  • 1 package Brown Gravy mix
  • 1/2 cup warm water

Place roast in crock pot. In a bowl combine the envelopes of mixes together. Sprinkle on top of the roast. Pour in 1/2 cup warm water. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or until tender.

The gravy is nothing but thickened roast juices. Transfer the pot roast juices to a small pot and whisk in the cornstarch and water slurry (1 Tablespoon cornstarch and 2 Tablespoons of COLD water). Bring to a boil to activate the thickening agents of the corn starch. Serve over pot roast.

NOTE: The low setting on my crock pot doesn't work very well so I cooked this on HIGH for 4-5 hours.

33 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

That's our favourite pot roast too Monica!! Todd just loves it! He is a real meat and potatoes man just like yours! I think most men are!

oneordinaryday said...

We enjoy a good pot roast too. Perfect slices - looks delicious.

Janet said...

This pot roast is a recipe I'll be trying SOON!. However, I do have a bone to pick with you, young lady!! I rushed over here this morning before even brushing my teeth to see your NKB and to learn of the secret add-in ingredient. So spill it! Love to you!

Joy Tilton said...

Thanks for this recipe, that gravy looks delish! I've used the old standby (Lipton Onion Soup packet+mushroom soup)for years for crockpot roasts. Hubby says "Thank You" in advance...

vanillasugarblog said...

i really should never look at blogs on an empty stomach. i am so ready for a HUGE plate of this, please.

Unknown said...

I've never been a big pot roast fan but the husband is. Maybe I'll try this out for him and see if I can become a pot roast convert. Thanks for sharing!

Future Grown-Up said...

thanks for sharing this...I have serious issues with making a traditional pot roast in the oven so this looks foolproof for someone like me!

White Toast with Butter said...

I am making that tomorrow the boys will love it--I'm not much of a meat eater - but it looks good.

Memória said...

I'm a meat lover!! I want this! Is this pot roast better or the same as the one i had at that restaurant we went to? I must try this out. Thanks for sharing the recipe and yummy photos.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I am always looking for new ways to make roast.

Julie said...

Oh how I love beef...amazing :) I never used to be much of a gravy liker, but it's growing on me!

Lorraine said...

Definitely have to try this. Lots of meat lovers in my house. Really excited it is a crockpot one also. Sounds great! Thanks.

Unknown said...

this looks really good..I'm going to try this one tomorrow:) Thanks for the recipe:)

♥peachkins♥ said...

I'm drooling already...

blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

Foodiewife said...

Sam has to make room for me. I want it! My kind of comfort food. Yummy!

Misc Momma said...

Those three packets of seasoning are three of my favorite things to spruce up a meal! All together I suspect would be amazing. I am definitely going to give this a try.
~Tara

Holly said...

Looks very very delicious!:)

cookies and cups said...

alright, alright I'll make it...geez...twist my arm :)

OvenDelights said...

Yumm!! Going to add this to my grocery list!

Reeta said...

I love pot roast! I think the fact that I haven't eaten dinner while reading this adds a lot to my cravings... but this really looks delicious!

jajb.lilly said...

I love pot roast and am always looking for a dun new way to make it. This is definitely going on my "must make soon" list!

Kerstin said...

My hubby would love this too! I've actually never made pot roast so I'm saving this recipe :)

Lorraine said...

I made this for dinner tonight, and it was fantastic. Thanks for a great recipe. I have been searching far and near for a good crockpot recipe and had been yet to find one until now.

Jen said...

SO SO SO GOOD! I tried it with just the gravy packet and the ranch but did not have the Italian dressing packet and it was still wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Rachel E. said...

I have this in the crockpot right now! Yummm smells great.

Julia said...

I made this tonight. It was ok, but not great. It tasted very similar to the chicken crockpot recipe. So far, the strawberry shortcake recipe is the best of your recipes I've tried. The cake is actually too good. I try not to make it because we usually polish it off in less than 24 hours! ;)

Monica H said...

Hi Julia,

Sorry you didn't love the roast as much as my husband did- he could literally eat that once a week if I let him :-)

Yes that strawberry cake is delish. Thanks for stopping by!

~Monica H

Anonymous said...

Do you cook your roast from frozen or do you unthaw first?

Monica H said...

Anonymous-

Thanks for your question- I thaw the roast first before cooking it in the crockpot.

Monica

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica,

I love your Recipes. So far I tried many of the sweets and was never disappointed. The only savory dish I tried was the garlicky Pork Tenderloin and we LOVE it.

I would love to try this Pot Roast but since I am German and live in Germany I do not have a Crockpot and so far didn´t find one to buy. I guess Crockpot is not selling over here...
So my question is: Can I make this Pot Roast in a regular Oven and what should be temperature and how long should I cook this in the oven?

Please excuse my bad english...

Lindsay Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

Sounds amazing, definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing!

I featured your recipe on my blog today, come check it out:
http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/04/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-29.html

Andrea said...

I found this on pinterest and can't stop drooling. I think I will try to make it for my mom and kids. So happy to have found your blog and am now your newest follower. If you have a chance come by and check out my blog www.questfordelish.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this one, something to reminisce recipes that I tried before like the crock pot roast which I think was the best one I tried.

Related Posts with Thumbnails