Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Breakfast: Day 1

I was going to offer you 7 days of Christmas cookies like I did last year and them I figured that 1). you're probably tired of looking at cookies 2). you've probably already narrowed down which cookies you're going to make and don't need my suggestions, if you're not already done baking and 3). I didn't really want to blog about 7 different cookies anyway!

So I have decided that I'm going to give you 6 days of breakfasts instead, starting today! I may regret this later, but that's okay, it will all be worth it in the end, right? Besides breakfast is my favorite meal of the day because it's acceptable to eat in the morning, at lunch time and for dinner. Gotta love that!

You may have all your cookies baked and nestled cozily in the freezer waiting to be packaged up or perhaps you haven't begun your baking yet (like me!) but do you have Christmas morning breakfast all figured out? Will you serve pancakes, or cinnamon toast? Will it be a frittata or coffee cake? Homemade cinnamon rolls or easy cheese danish? Scones or biscuits and gravy? Am I making you hungry?

First breakfast recipe up for today is Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes. Yes, they were as good as they sound. I found the recipe and wonderful photos on Picky Cook. Yummy stuff and gorgeous photos on her site.

Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes from Picky Cook

Makes about 12 large pancakes

  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/3 cup poppy seeds
  • zest of 4 lemons
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • butter, to serve (and for pan)

To make the pancakes combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a large bowl. In another bowl the buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon zest and poppy seeds. Add the wet to the dry. Stir all the ingredients until they are just combined. Don't worry if the batter is a bit lumpy, you don't want to over mix.

Heat your skillet, pan, or griddle to medium-hot and brush it with a bit of butter. Test for the right temperature. If a drop of water dropped onto the pan starts to dance, you are in the ballpark. Pour about 1/3 of a cup of batter into the skillet. Wait until the pancake bottom is deep golden in color, then flip with a spatula and cook the other side until golden and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter.

Serve warm with macerated berries.

This little girl always seems to come around when it's meal time. She likes to keep her chin warm on my lap and she thinks looking at me with those big brown eyes will get her something off my plate.

She's right. It works every time.

See ya tomorrow for another scrumptious breakfast!

29 comments:

Katie said...

What a great idea. I will be coming round to see whats for breakfast each day. Love the lemon and poppyseed pancakes.

Memória said...

I'm glad you chose to post about breakfast items over cookies. There are too many of them out there around this time hehe. The pancakes look amazing.

tamilyn said...

Wook at that face! I just want to squeeze it!

Selba said...

Awwww.. Autumn, your face expression is so adorable!

grace said...

i'll go ahead and say it--many days, i'd rather eat pancakes than cookies. especially unique ones like these--very divine. i'm looking forward to the upcoming breakfasts!

cookies and cups said...

Very nice. Our tradition on Christmas morning is I always make a Breakfast Casserole by Paula Deen, it's cheesy, sausagey, buttery (of course) and yummy!
Your pancakes look delicious, I might try those on Christmas Eve morning!

oneordinaryday said...

Love your idea, Monica, and I can't wait to see what yummy breakfasts you come up with.

Heather said...

I feel like that little poochie. I'd beg for those pancakes too if their wonderful smell wafted in and woke me from my nap... ;-)

Janet said...

Your pup is adorable - and those Pancakes are to die for! Yum!

We are still in bed (shhh... don't tell anyone!) but after reading this post, I'm hungry for breakfast!

We are snowed in so we won't be going anywhere today! Perfect day to cook, bake and enjoy being at home!

Love to you!

Jean Badgley said...

I REALLY appreciate the breakfast idea today and I can't wait to see the others that are coming. I have a houseful for six days and breakfast will be needed every day...Everything that I have made from your blog has turned out perfectly so I cant' wait to see what else you have in store for my Christmas week menus..

Foodiewife said...

Yes, I'm sick of cookies! Well, not really, but I need to stay away.
Breakfast is my favorite meal, too.
I make lemon poppyseed muffins, but the pancakes are brilliant!
Did Autumn get a pancake? I'm off to make pumpkin muffins and to seriously plan what's for Christmas Eve dinner.

Keeley said...

Thanks for stepping out of the box and going anti-cookie. Between baking cookies and receiving them as gifts, I'm all cookied out! Now breakfast, that's a good idea! Plus, I'm snowed in, so we'll be enjoying good food all weekend!

kelly said...

so excited about breakfast~ we usually do monkey bread or an egg casserole, can't wait to see what you got! and love the puppy face, i didn't truly understand puppy eyes until our dog baxter, he's got it down!

Lissaloo said...

That looks like the perfect breakfast! I am so glad you are doing this instead of cookies what a great idea! :)

Sobaka said...

I really enjoy your blog, and your dog is so sweet!

Kerstin said...

I love this idea - breakfast is my favorite meal! Your pancakes look fabulous and your doggie is adorable!

Donna-FFW said...

These sound fabulous and look so light and fluffy. Cant wait to see the rest!

Jane said...

Everything looks so delicious! Your photos are great! Happy Holidays!

Kathy said...

How ironic - I was on your blog not knowing you were visiting mine!!! I had to wrap some presents and hadn't left my comment until now. Another ironic thing - I was just making my breakfast menu for Christmas day this morning. I'm with you - I'm more about breakfast anyway!!! Let's just say mine will involve grits!!! Yummm... Looking forward to the rest of your breakfasts! Can't wait...

Anonymous said...

I know, I'm on Joe's computer.

Your pancakes look absolutely scrumptious! Florida strawberries have just come into season, too.

btw, I love that close up of the pancakes all stacked!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

Ooops, forgot to say that I'd give into those eyes too!
~ingrid

♥peachkins♥ said...

awwww..who wouldn't wanna wake up to that?

OvenDelights said...

It took me three hours to narrow down the cookie list I need for tomorrow....I'm already tired! I have 4 cookie trays to make, plus a babyshower cake, and not to mention the cake for the "Cake Slice" blog! Plus I have to squeeze in breakfast and dinner for my family! Anyway, I don't know how you do it? As much as I love to bake, I can't seem to find the energy.I'm going to be really tired for work on Monday:(

bridget {bake at 350} said...

I love lemon poppyseed anything....I never thought of pancakes!!! Brilliant!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

love lemon poppy seed muffins; so I WILL defiantly be making these!

I also have three giveaways on my blog right now that you should come check out!


http://www.heatherskitchenconcoctions.com/

Heather S-G said...

I am loving the idea of a different breakfast every day for a week, very nice! These poppyseed pancakes sound scrumptious :D

Brandy L said...

I love lemon poppyseed and in a breakfast it's even better!

picky cook said...

Your pancakes look amazing and what a cute pup. My girl knows just how to get food too!

Unknown said...

what a great idea! I am definitely done looking at cookies this year. These pancakes look delish!

Related Posts with Thumbnails