Friday, November 13, 2009

Lovely Lady Bundts

Sunday is National Bundt Day! I have another bundt lined up for then, but here's one I made a while back from Coleen of Coleen's Recipes. She makes a bit of everything and if you haven't been to her blog, head on over there now. And she updates with 5 new recipes a week- that's dedication!

This is a VERY moist sour cream bundt cake loaded with blueberries. Running through the center of the bundt and on the bottom is a nutty cinnamon streusel and to gild the lily is a simple powdered sugar glaze :-) I liked this bundt and thought it was really simple to make. The flavors were all really tasty and there's a bit of lemon zest in it to brighten things up.

There's a lot of yummy goodness in this bundt, but I thought it was a tad too sweet for my liking. I would make this again but I don't think it needs the streusel or the glaze. It's perfectly perfect on it's own. If you want to add the streusel, I suggest reducing the amount of sugar in the bundt and leaving off the glaze. But do what you like. That's the beauty of the bundt.

Blueberry Sour Cream Bundt from Coleen's Recipes

Cake:
  • 1 cup butter, room temp.
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Streusel:

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat your oven to 350 and grease and flour a 9" bundt pan.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs one at a time; stir in sour cream, vanilla and lemon zest. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and stir it into the butter mixture until well blended; fold in blueberries.Spoon half of the batter into the prepared bundt pan.

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture over the batter in the pan & top with the second half of the batter. Sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar mixture over the top of everything. Gently swirl a butter knife through the batter a couple of times to irregularly distribute the brown sugar pecan layer. At this point I added a few more blueberries for color, which is completely optional.

Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes in preheated oven. Cool cake (in the pan) on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a cake plate. Cool completely before glazing, optional.

NOTE: The glaze I made was just a mixture of powdered sugar and a little vanilla extract and milk. I used about 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Add more milk to thin or more sugar to thicken.

See you back here on Sunday for another bundt!

22 comments:

Denise said...

I love Coleens blog,also. This bundt looks soooo yummy and mosit. Love the pics of the topping.

the shoppe owner said...

yay for sour cream! sour cream makes everything (just about) taste yummier!

i'm sure you have, but on the off chance that you haven't, mix in a big spoonful of it with your eggs the next time you make scrambled eggs. seriously? SUPERB!

susan

cookies and cups said...

hmmm...too sweet? I'm sorry, I don't speak your language ;)
This really looks delicious!

Jackie said...

Hi Monica

Is there anything else I could use in place of blueberries, I do not like blueberries.

Linda said...

I follow Coleen's blog as well. I have made several of her recipes.
This looks very nice. I think I would forgo the glaze and just dust with some powdered sugar.

Lissaloo said...

Beautiful, what a great cake :)

Trish said...

Yep...I follow Coleen's blog too...isn't she something!This does look incredible. I had no idea that tomorrow was such an auspicious day! Grin...bring out the bundt pans! BTW....your photography is stunning lady!

Mimi said...

I agree Coleen's blog is great. Your cake looks so moist and delicious. Your photos are wonderful. What camera do you use?
Mimi

Monica H said...

Susan- I'll have to give that a try- thanks!

Jackie- You could sub raspberries or blackberries. The blackberries may be a little heavy though and sink so use ones onthe smaller side and dust them with flour to help suspend them in the batter.

Linda- good idea.

Trish- Thank you so much!

Mimi- I use an old Sony digtial camera. it's about 9 years old and very out of date, but it works for me :-)

oneordinaryday said...

Sounds perfect. I love sour cream in cakes. It makes it so moist. Your cake looks delicious.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Monica that kind of looks familiar. But the streusel is throwing me off. LOL!

I love the second to the last photo.
~ingrid

Donna-FFW said...

I think this sounds just perfect. It looks lovely. I'll take the extra sweetness as I am quite the crank today:)

Coleen does have an awesome blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! This looks fantastic! I love sour cream cakes and blueberries - yum!

Smitten Sugar said...

Monica...this looks delicious! I love the streusel topping!

Heather S-G said...

Wowza...gorgeous! I remember wanting this at Coleens, as well! So beautiful...I really want to try this. :D

Hänni said...

Best blog title ever! (Just had to tell you that.)

Kerstin said...

I love how the cake is packed with all those gorgeous blueberries, it looks fantastic!

Sofia's Patisserie said...

Monica,
I love the blueberry bundt cake. It looks delicious. That would go great with a cup of cuban coffee. ;-))

Jennifer said...

Made this cake this morning to take to Easter lunch with my family. The cake was DELICIOUS. However, something odd happened - it rose fine in the oven, and then while cooling, the inside of it collapsed a great deal. Not sure if this is normal for this cake. I'm a pretty experienced baker and can't figure out why this happened. Even with that issue, it was a great cake!

Monica H said...

Hi Jennifer,

Glad you made and liked it but I'm not sure why it sank. I got the recipe from another blog and she made it, a friend of mine made it and (obviously) I made it as well and neither of us had an issue with that. I'm not suggesting it's your fault, but I'm not sure what the problem could have been. I'm glad you liked it though!

Monica H said...

Oops, I meant to say... I've only had a cake sink on me one other time and it's because I forgot to add the eggs. It rose perfectly in the oven and as soon as it came out, it deflated. Did you remember the eggs?

Theresa said...

Okay, so I just finished whipping up my cake and I'm pretty sure it'll turn out just as lovely as the last one did.
I cut back on the sugar and used only 1 1/2 cups, because it was a little bit too sweet for me the first time.
Since one doesn't get pecans easily and cheap over here in Germany ;) I just leave them out and sprinkle the bottom of the cake with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. The cake gets a nice crispy crust.
I love how it is so moist and delicious oh and did I mention the blueberries? Love it!
Last time I doubled the amount of blueberries, but since I was using frozen blueberries, the dough was too stiff to work with, I wouldn't recommend doing this.
Instead of adding the zest I just used the juice of a lemon - superb.

Love it! And love your wonderful blog, Monica. I've probably tried about 10 different recipes from it, everything is just delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails