Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Calling All Chocoholics!

This is the second birthday cake I made for my brother's 14th birthday. Not only does he love candy, but he loves Dr. Pepper!

I did a google search for Dr. Pepper cake but only cake up with sheet cakes, not exactly what I was looking for. Then I came across this recipe for Root Beer bundt cake from the NYC bakery- Baked. I decided I would just substitute the root beer for the DP. I assumed since the entire cake (frosting included) contained 2 1/4 cups of Dr. Pepper, it would actually taste like Dr. Pepper. It didn't.

Wah wah waah!

I made the cake the night before I was going to serve it and wrapped it in plastic wrap. This kept it moist and the flavors developed nicely. It was extremely chocolately, dense, moist and rich. The frosting was overwhelmingly chocolately and sweet. It was like eating fudge. Again, it tasted nothing like Dr. Pepper. The recipe states to mound it all on top of the crown of the bundt. That would mean there would be a 1/2 inch thick layer of fudge frosting on the cake. A tad much. So I spread it over the entire cake in a nice thin layer. It was still really rich for my chocolate lover husband, but it was a little more palatable.

Make this with root beer and serve it with vanilla ice cream- float style and tell me what you think!

Tell me you don 't want to "lick the bowl"! Drool.

Dr. Pepper Bundt Cake adapted from Baked
  • 2 cups Dr. Pepper (do NOT use diet)
  • 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Generously spray the inside of a 10-inch bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter it, dust with flour, and knock out the excess flour.

In a small saucepan, heat the Dr. Pepper, cocoa powder, and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until just beaten, then whisk them into the cooled cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy--do not overbeat, as it could cause the cake to be tough.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Gently loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and turn it out onto the rack.

NOTE: I used Caffeine Free Dr. Pepper, but the sugar level and flavor was the same as the original.

Dr. Pepper Frosting:

  • 2 ounces dark chocolate (60% cacao), melted and cooled slightly
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup root Dr. Pepper
  • 2/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Put all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse in short bursts until the frosting is shiny and smooth.

Use a spatula to spread the fudge frosting over the crown of the Bundt in a thick layer. Let the frosting set before serving.

NOTE: This makes a lot of frosting! I tried to put all the frosting on the crown of the cake, but it was so thick and gloppy, I just couldn't do it. I ended up using about half of it and spreading all over the cake for a neater appearance. I tossed the rest of it because it was so rich--almost too rich. Is that possible?

For the original recipe and printer friendly version, click here.

22 comments:

Erin said...

I absolutely hate Dr. Pepper but wow! That cake is just decadence personified.

Selba said...

Seriously... Dr. Pepper is my favorite drink!!! I LOVE Dr. Pepper!!!

Too bad, it's quite difficult to find Dr. Pepper here in Jakarta and if I can find it, it's very expensive. 1 can of Dr. Pepper is the same price of 3 cans of Coca-cola!!!

The cake looks awesome! Your brother looks so happy with his b'day cake.

Do you think there's Dr. Pepper cupcake? ;)

vanillasugarblog said...

not a fan of the Dr. Pepper, but I did love making this with the root beer schnapps. if you ever get a chance use the schnapps instead of the soda, crazy rich flavor.
I wonder if one could try the cream soda?
Looks good my dear.

Lissaloo said...

My hubby would love this cake! It looks beautiful, you always get the frosting to look so pretty. Mine always look kinda slopped on, I have to tell people at least it taste good, lol. :)

Foodiewife said...

I'll tell you what I think... your photography is art. LOVE the shot of the bowl with the dripping chocolate.
I rarely drink Dr. Pepper, only because I limit my soda intake. I like it, though. I'm getting a toothache, looking at it, but I certainly would love to have a slice of it. What a treat!

Debbie said...

I have made coca cola cakes before and they are so good and taste nothing like coca cola either!! Just very chocolately. Your Dr. Pepper cakes looks terrific!

Creative Classroom Core said...

Could this cake look any more amazing!?!? The chocolate is calling my name!
Great work!

Kerstin said...

What a cool cake, it looks very decadent!

Donna-FFW said...

This cake looks fabulous Monica. Your food always does.. curious if it didnt end up tasting like Dr Pepper, was it a chocolate taste or ??

Sophie said...

Yes, I would so want a float made with this moist rich and chocolatey cake :).

Treehouse Chef said...

This looks so delicious! One of my favorite cakes is called coca cola cake from Cracker Barrel. This reminds me of that. Beautiful photos! I bet your brother loved it!

Kristen said...

I have seriously never heard of Dr. Pepper (or root beer) in cake before - this cake looks really moist and delicious!

Julie said...

Standing in line for my piece of cake!

Maria said...

Oh my that cake looks good!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

It's certainly looks rich. Not as good as your coca-cola cake, huh!
~ingrid

Elissa said...

Monica, wow. That is an amazing looking bundt cake! I just want to drag a finger through the frosting, and this is a girl who doesn't care for frosting that much!

That looks so incredibly chocolaty good!

Mermaid Sews said...

Love how you tried Dr. Pepper, sounds and looks terrific.

Kathy said...

Mmmm, this looks great! Just like your bro, I can't live w/out my Dr. Pepper! Here's a recipe you could try next year... http://threeonfood.blogspot.com/2009/02/another-recipe-i-cant-lose.html

Serena@TentarNonNuoce said...

Hi! i don't manage to find dr.pepper
could you suggest something i can replace it with?
please!

thank you

Serena

angela@spinachtiger said...

Domesticbliss is stealing recipes. She has your picture and recipe on her blog, no credit to you.

http://domesticblissinoregon.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-02-23T14%3A33%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=7

People are twittering about it. Thought you'd like to know.

Lisa said...

Just saw your photos @ www.domesticblissinoregon.blogspot.com

Salamnder8 said...

I know this is old, but what about using "Dr. Pepper" syrup from a Soda Stream Machine-at least for the frosting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails