Friday, April 17, 2009

Some Assembly Required

I made these yummy homemade hamburger buns and the next day, I topped them with these even yummier burgers.

Everyone likes their burger a certain way. I prefer mine with mustard on the bottom bun and ketchup on the top bun next to the tomato. The lettuce goes under the meat patty because if it's next to the tomato it slides around and that drives me nuts. It must also have melted stringy cheese (Sharp Cheddar or Muenster) on it. I like my pickles crisp, so they stay off to the side. I absolutely not, under no circumstances put mayo or miracle whip on my hamburgers. Eww! I don't like the warm mayo taste with the ground beef- gag me. (Donna, do you like to be gagged?)

My husband loves miracle whip and mayo so he slathers it on both sides of the bun (Donna, hush!) and fills it with a patty covered in American cheese, tomato, lettuce and pickles. Sometimes he'll even add a dollop of ketchup. However you like to assemble your burgers, be sure to start out with fresh ingredients and the final product will always be good.

Steakhouse Burgers
  • 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef (We use 90/10)
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 tsp. Steak Seasoning
  • 2 Tbsp. Butter

Toppings (Optional)

  • Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Bacon, Cheese, Mayo, Mustard, Ketchup, Pickles etc.

In a medium bowl, mix together ground beef, Worcestershire sauce and steak seasoning by hand. Mix until just combined but don't overwork the meat or it'll be tough. Form into 3- third (1/3) pound patties.

Place butter in pan and heat over medium-medium high heat til butter is melted. Place patties in pan, but don't overcrowd them or they won't get brown and crusty. Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes per side for a medium doneness. 5-6 minutes on each side for well done burgers. Dress your burger to your liking.

NOTE: Because I use lean ground beef, I don't over cook them because they'll dry out. If you like your burgers a little more done or cooked all the way through, use a ground beef with a higher percentage of fat. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.

How do you like your burgers?

16 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

OMGoodness, that is one gorgeous burger!! What a great photograph. I'm with your hubby...gotta have mayo.

Donna-FFW said...

GREAT burger, supposed to be warm today Im getting my hubby on the grill before he gags me and then Ill slather his buns like you suggested, you funny lady you!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hilarious! Isn't it funny how certain phrases make us think of others?! You knew Donna was gonna have something quip back at cha!

No burger, please, I'll take a salad please, no onions or tomatoes & extra dressing, thank you! :)
~ingrid

Lissaloo said...

Yum, Next time we do burgers I'm using your recipe. I haven't found one yet that I have to use everytime, I usually experiment :)

Jenn said...

I think we may have been related in a past life or something. That is almost my exact burger recipe!

I do love mine with mayo though. Swiss or cheddar. I hate hot tomatoes so even though I love them, I usually end up pulling them off my burger.

Sara said...

What an amazing looking burger! I love making my own buns, it makes everything that much more delicious.

The Nanny said...

How do I like my burgers? VEGETARIAN! :)

Hennifer said...

That looks so good! I love my burgers so many ways it isn't even funny.

I totally agree with you though about the lettuce and tomato!

I have a deep love of the mushroom burger and I really do prefer onions on them.

vanillasugarblog said...

Ohhh I love mayo on my burger. But if I'm having a cheeseburger then no mayo, just extra cheese please. But no miracle whip as it tastes weird man.
Great burgers, I knew you could make a mean burger!

Unknown said...

Oh makes me want one right now. I can just taste at grilled flavor. I just had the butcher grind up a brisket, leaving most of the fat out, and made hamburgers out of that and it was really a noticable difference. You might want to try it sometime. I really like your blog.
Happy Twirls

Maria said...

I eat veggie burgers, would love to fix one up with your homemade buns!

Foodiewife said...

We make burgers the same way. Your buns are beautiful (no pun intended). I have been meaning to bake my own, and I need the time. I even bought a special pan, from King Arthur Flour, to make these.

I hope mine turn out as beautifully as yours did. I love burgers!

unconfidentialcook said...

Great burger. There's a chain of restaurants called The Counter, where you build your own burger from a long list of everything. I now love hard boiled egg slices on mine...and aioli.

Elyse said...

Your burgers look fantastic. I love your burger psychology. Your placement of the condiments seems quite logical and perfect. I could hear Donna making comments throughout your post, too!

Sophie said...

Yeah, warm mayo makes my stomach churn...it reminds me of this one time I had PE after lunch in middle school, and I ate a tuna sandwich with too much mayo then had to run a mile right after in 90 degree weather....yucky!

Now, as for these burgers, I'm hungry for one right now. :D I like burgers with bacon-yum-and pickles! Oh and the buns have to be toasted!

Mindy Walz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails