Saturday, April 18, 2009

Red and Lavender

There's a restaurant, a little French cafe, of sorts here in Texas called La Madeleine. I puffy heart them. Big time. My mom takes me there for my birthday every year for lunch. Sometimes I meet my friends there for dessert and a cappuccino. It's just so homey (if I had a home in the French countryside) and comforting.

One of their signature items on the menu is Strawberries Romanoff. When my husband and I go there we usually split a goblet of whole plump strawberries covered in a brown sugar, sour cream sauce laced with brandy. I've seen some recipes that involve whipping cream and cointreau, and orange zest, but it's not the same. I asked the chefs how they make their sauce and this is how they do it. So it's how I do it.

They also make Crepe Romanoff, which are crepes topped with strawberries and this sauce- yum! How good would that be?

Strawberries Romanoff
  • 1 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 3 tbsp. packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. brandy

Rinse and hull the strawberries. Place in 3 bowls. In a small bowl, mix together sour cream, brown sugar and brandy. Stir til combined and pour over strawberries.

*Makes 3 servings*

NOTE: This sauce would be perfect over any berries or over a mixed fruit salad. Can be made ahead of time and kept refrigerated.

I got a dozen lavender roses after Easter for $5. They're called Ocean Breeze. The lady who sold them to me said, "They should be $5, they're half dead". I beg to differ.

14 comments:

Kathy said...

My favorite too!!! I just posted about this last Sunday -- Great minds think alike!!! Love your photos!!!

Elyse said...

There's a La Madeleine in Atlanta, where I grew up. My whole family loves their food. Their strawberries Romanov is particularly delicious. (Their tomato soup is also fabulous!)

Foodiewife said...

We are kindred spirits! As you know I just made strawberry blintzes.
I adore sour cream and brown sugar for my berries... brandy, huh? I never thought of adding that.

Those roses are gorgeous. Mine are bursting with buds. I can hardly wait for mine to be in full bloom.

C'mon over to my house. I got a room for ya.

Deb

Coleens Recipes said...

Stunning photographs!!!

Donna-FFW said...

Monica.. these strawberries sound awesome, awesome. I love the simplicity.. A couple of more weeks till strawberry picking season starts here, this is going on my list. YUM!

Kristen said...

mmm, what a treat - I love so called 'secret' recipes

vanillasugarblog said...

the La M in wash, dc was awful. but I know they are good place to eat, jsut had a bad experience at one.
I eat so many strawberries this time of year. I have no problem downing 13 in a sitting.

Melissa said...

Monica!
I'm glad you commented on my blog because it gave me the opportunity to check out your wonderful blog. OMG, boy have I been missing out! Your pictures are FANTASTIC and of course I love your furry friends. I'm going to make the chocolate soda cake today. I've already book marked some of your lovely recipes. Thanks for finding me, your site has officially been bookmarked :)

The Nanny said...

Oh, my god, I love La Madeline. I can't go without getting the strawberries romanoff! And the tomato basil soup. And the croissants. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Maria said...

I love your photos! The strawberries are so vibrant!

Selba said...

The strawberries look so pretty and the roses look beautiful!

Lissaloo said...

Yummy! I have a carton of strawberries in my fridge begging me to do this to them! I am so glad you shared this :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Monica your photos are always amazing and of course everything you makes sounds wonderful.

I don't drink so I'm not sure about the brandy and as you know the kiddos aren't going to sit by while I chow down on a bowl of those. Is there something I can sub in for the brandy or should I just try it? It might help the kids go to bed on time! :)
~ingrid

Donna said...

I made this dessert tonight and it was a hit. Quantities are enough for 4 people to have a reasonable amount each. I added a little orange zest on the top of the cream for a bit of zing. It was a lovely combination. I will definitely keep this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails