Friday, March 13, 2009

Things That Make You Go Hmmmm...

I read somewhere many many years ago that Oprah's favorite cake was Hummingbird Cake. I was intrigued and wanted to know what it was. When I finally found the recipe, I thought "how simple" and at the same time I thought "what's the big deal?". And then I thought about it some more and I thought "YUM!" I mean, how could pineapple, bananas, nuts, and cream cheese NOT be good?

So I always wanted to make this cake but never did. I always loved to bake but I didn't do a lot of it unless someone in the family had a birthday. And then when their birthday's rolled around, they had the audacity to request a special cake. Sadly, none of those cake were Hummingbird Cake. Had they not heard of it? So last year while thumbing through Paula Deen's Celebrates! cookbook that I bought from Costco (they have great cookbook prices, btw!) I came across this recipe again. And since my MIL's birthday was just weeks away, I decided this was the cake for her- she didn't get a choice :-) But she loved it! We all did!

I love that the layers baked up evenly and without humps in the middle. And it was so easy- just dump and mix. It was a little sweet, which is why some speculate it's name, but it was so moist and dense and just plain good. Don't wait for some one's birthday to make this. Make it because it's the weekend and you can!

Hummingbird Cake from Paula Deen Celebrates!
  • 3 cups self-rising flour
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
  • 2 very ripe large bananas, mashed
  • 1 (8-ounce) crushed pineapple, with juice
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 3-8-inch round cake pans.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, oil, pecans, bananas, pineapple, vanilla, cinnamon and eggs. Stir well with a spoon until the batter is smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for 26-28 minutes, until the tops spring back. Cool in the pans and invert onto wire racks to cool completely.

Cream Cheese Icing

  • 1 pound (1 box) confectioners' sugar
  • 1 (8-ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon milk, or more if needed
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Mix the sugar, cream cheese, butter, vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until the icing is smooth. If needed, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to achieve the proper spreading consistency. Ice between the cake layers, on the sides and on the top of the cake. Sprinkle the top with the pecans.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.

13 comments:

Selba said...

Absolutely a Hmmmmmm.... :)

Donna-FFW said...

I have been eyeballing this type recipe for a while. Thanks for giving me the kick in my pants to make it! NO reason not to. I am trying it, and yes, maybe this weekend.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

That does sound yummy. Perfect for a special occasion. I love the photo of your swirls on the icing!

Michel-lee said...

Oh my goodness, that is so easy. I can't wait to make that for my work. I love Paula Deen. Thanks for sharing. By the way, the cake looks like the one in the cookbook. Kudos.

tamilyn said...

What a pretty cake. Thanks for an idea out of the normal routine.

Sara said...

This looks beautiful, I love that frosting picture, it's very artsy. The flavor combination sounds so delicious.

Foodiewife said...

I try to avoid Paula Deen's show because I have a sweet tooth...and I'm afraid I'll grow too big. I have to make an exception, because this recipe definitely made my tastes buds hum. Wow! I will have to try this one.

Thanks for the beautiful inspiration.

Debby

Lissaloo said...

What a Beautiful Cake! And I LOVE the cookbooks at Costco! Sadly :( I have been banned. :)

Maria said...

WHat a lovely cake!! Great photos. Have a happy Friday!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Yay, for cake! :-) Yours looks gorgeous! I've never tasted hummingbird cake. You're right now's the time.
~ingrid

Sophie said...

I know whose birthday you can make this for! Mine ;) hehe. I've never had this before but I've been wanting to try it. Sounds tropical and yummy. The photos are so enticing! Have a great weekend, Monica :D.

The Food Librarian said...

Beautiful and tasty!!!

Anonymous said...

This cake looks soooooooo good!!! I love experimenting in the kitchen, and this cake is right up my alley!! thanks for the continued inspiration!

Stacey

Related Posts with Thumbnails