Saturday, January 31, 2009

Super Bowl Eats

Football is not really my thing. It never has been....well I take that back. When I was a wee girl and a major tom boy, all my cousins and I would hang out at my my grandmothers house and play Simon Says, Red Rover and flag football. I LOVED flag football. It was so much fun, but even then I don't really think I understood what I was doing. I was running across the field, sometimes with and sometimes without a ball and hoping to not be caught. Fun! Then we'd walk on over to Dairy Queen and get a dip cone or a Dilly bar. Oh, the good ol' days.

But regular football, not so interesting or fun to me. I just don't get it. And honestly, I have no desire to "get it". But I do appreciate a good Superbowl party. The family, the friends, the beer (even though I don't drink), the food, the snacks, the God-given right to pig out and veg on the couch. That's fun! and so are these baked corn dogs. A perfect and simple meal for game day or any day. BTW, I'm rooting for the Steelers, but only because they used to be my brothers favorite team and he had a Starter Jacket of theirs. Familiarity, ya know?

Baked Corn Dogs from BRK via Vanilla Sugar
  • 3 cups yellow self-rising corn meal mix* (see note)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup freshly grated Cheddar cheese
  • 1-2 dashes Cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 7 hot dogs

Preheat oven to 425°.

In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients but the hot dogs together. Once the mix is smooth, pour into a very greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the hot dogs in the batter so that the dogs are placed evenly apart. So that’s about 5 vertically placed hot dogs across the top and two placed horizontally on the bottom. See picture.

Bake for 22-25 minutes or until corn bread is cooked through.Let cool slightly, then with a sharp knife cut around each hot dog insuring each dog is surrounded by corn bread. Serve with your favorite hot dog/corn dog condiments.

*NOTE: I didn't have self rising cornmeal mix. If you don't, don't panic. Use this substitution for the 3 cups self rising cornmeal mix instead, then follow the recipe as follows.

Self-Rising Cornmeal Mix (makes 3 cups)
  • 2 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
  • 3 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt

____________________________________________

14 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

My hubby loves these so much. I make them almost every week. It's nice to have an easy recipe every so often. Yours came out perfectly!

Donna-FFW said...

These look great. Good game food. My husband is so Steelers too. I, myself, could care less. Id rather drool over food pictures.

Cookie said...

These are so cool! We just received some hot log franks as a present and this recipe would be perfect! Just wondering though, did you have any left-overs (probably not!) to reheat another day? These seem like the perfect quick snack to have in the fridge!

Nonna said...

I came for a visit from Lissaloo's blog and I just love your blog ! I also came to see your photos of the corn dogs... they look so easy and fun ! Thank you !!!

mbc said...

Well aren't you a genuis....I made a similar recipe recently that was Rachael Ray's only her recipe had too much liquid and the cornbread batter didn't stick to the hot dog like it was supposed to. THIS would've been the smart thing to do. I wish I'd taken a picture of my kitchen failure to show you...well, actually it was RR's!! We ate them, with cornbread muffins on the side. I'm serving your recipe next time. I've learned my lesson!!

JoEllen said...

I made these tonight for dinner and they were a hit. Everyone went back for seconds. I used the jiffy corn bread instead though.
Will definitely make again.
So glad I found your site, there are so many things I want to make i'm not sure there are enough days in a year.
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This looks SO good!! Thank you for sharing!

kenzie said...

Looks sooo yummy i had to try! they are in the oven now!!! hope they come out as good as they look! :)

FrogPrincessATX said...

Hi there and good morning! I just wanted you to know that I have featured this blog in my own blog! I love this site and if I haven't started following you, I will be..but I think I already did LOL please go check mine out www.epiphaniesofashly.com and see what you think!! :)

Unknown said...

I liked so much your baked corn dog that I wanted to prepare them too: I've posted everything here (http://www.menuturistico.com/2013/10/baked-corn-dogs-ovvero-un-modo-divertente-e-carino-di-gustare-i-wurstel.html ), and, of course, I link to your blog. Hope you like it :-)
Thank you so much
Daniela

Unknown said...

Just made these but all the cornbread crumbled off the dogs and was very dry. Did I just cook it too long or is it supposed to be that way?

Monica H said...

Dannielle, you didn't do anything wrong. This recipe is somewhat dry. I made these over 4 years ago and have since found a better version. I'm sorry these didn't turn out for you. Try this easy version instead: http://widget5.linkwithin.com/redirect?url=http%3A//lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com/2010/02/super-bowl-eats-take-2.html&vars=%5B%22http%3A//lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com/2009/01/super-bowl-eats.html%3Fm%3D1%22%2C%2069767%2C%200%2C%20%22http%3A//lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com/2009/01/super-bowl-eats.html%22%2C%2010429026%2C%200%2C%2020514187%5D&ts=1384668085779

Rebekah of Schenewark Farm said...

I had these pinned and finally made them last night for supper. I gotta say everyone liked them but they took WAY longer than 22-25 minutes in my oven. I mean, like, 45+ minutes. But they were a hit when they finally came out. :)

Monica H said...

It's been so long since I've made these, I don't really remember how long they took to bake- I usually make mine in muffin form.

I'm sorry they took so long to bake through but I'm glad you enjoyed them!

MOnica

Related Posts with Thumbnails