Monday, December 22, 2008

Day 5- Dark Chocolate Toffee Cookies

This recipe was given to me by my ex-boss' mother several years ago. Only, the original recipe dubbed- Yummy White Chocolate Toffee Cookies- called for white chocolate chunks. I fell in love with this cookie the first time I had it. They were so sweet and buttery.
I decided since I was already making a couple other cookies this Christmas using white chocolate, I'd use intense dark chocolate (70 % cocoa) bars from Lindt instead. I chopped up a couple of bars, then added enough semi-sweet chips to make 12 ounces. Both versions are wonderfully delicious. They're buttery, chewy on the inside, crisp on the outside, caramelly from the toffee and rich from the dark chocolate. These are good! My husband had 4 total as I was baking them. He kept walking through the kitchen to eat them. He liked these better than the white chocolate version because they weren't as sweet. Use whatever chocolate you like!
Dark Chocolate Toffee Cookies
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup toffee bits
  • 1 pkg. (12 oz.) dark chocolate chips or chunks

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and both sugars together, then add egg and vanilla, stir. Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt just til combined. Stir in toffee bits and chocolate.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool for a couple minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.

**makes 6 dozen**

NOTE: This recipe was originally made with white chocolate chunks. They're really good that way, but a little too sweet. I subbed dark chocolate for the white and added a little vanilla and they were perfect!

I don't have a small ice cream scoop (hopefully there wil be one in my stocking this year!) so I rolled the dough into one-inch balls so they were uniform sizes, but you can use two spoons to drop the cookie dough on the cookie sheet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had time to make those this year.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had time to make those this year.

Hennifer said...

Yum! again :)

is that the way you get chunks is just to cut them up from bars? I've looked at the store and not found chunks anywhere.

and I realized I forgot to mention in my last comment that I appreciate the word of caution about the white chocolate. I've been sad on occasion when people have given me white chocolate and it has actually been vanilla or whatnot (White chocolate is my favorite hands down)

Related Posts with Thumbnails